welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 764, 765, 766 ... 805, 806, 807  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
What do you mean an unannounced "traffic study" is not the same as a militant assault on an embassy?

and really, isn't the main thing about a terrorist act who it is that did it? that al qaeda guy hates america and wants to destroy it! republicans do this stuff out of love for america! or at least their piece of it.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orlando Sentinel wrote:
TAMPA (Reuters) - A retired police captain shot and killed one moviegoer who was texting and wounded his wife on Monday in a Florida theater showing the hit new war film "Lone Survivor," authorities said.

Doug Tobin, a spokesman for the Pasco Sheriff's Office, said the shooter, identified by local media as 71-year-old Curtis Reeves, was waiting for the film to begin with his wife when they got into an argument with another couple in the row of seats directly in front during the previews.

"The male victim is deceased. The female victim was injured with non-life threatening injuries," Tobin said.

Tobin added that the shooter was detained by a fellow moviegoer before being taken into police custody.

Reeves retired from the Tampa police 20 years ago, according to the Pasco County Sheriff's Office.

Reeves asked Chad Oulson, 43, to stop texting several times, and left the theater before returning to his seat, Pasco Sheriff Chris Nocco said. The argument began after Oulson asked Reeves if he had reported him to theater staff for using his phone, he said.

Oulson was shot in the chest, and Nichole Oulson, 33, was injured in the hand while trying to protect her husband as the shot was fired, he said.

So, yeah... remember when we were talking about gun control and some of us were for it and others of us were like, "it's not a problem as long as people are trained properly," or whatever?

Yeah, fuck that. This is crazy.
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give all gun want-to-be owners tests on self-control. Put them in situations that aggravate them so much and see if they pull their guns.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Orlando Sentinel wrote:
TAMPA (Reuters) - A retired police captain shot and killed one moviegoer who was texting and wounded his wife on Monday in a Florida theater showing the hit new war film "Lone Survivor," authorities said.

Doug Tobin, a spokesman for the Pasco Sheriff's Office, said the shooter, identified by local media as 71-year-old Curtis Reeves, was waiting for the film to begin with his wife when they got into an argument with another couple in the row of seats directly in front during the previews.

"The male victim is deceased. The female victim was injured with non-life threatening injuries," Tobin said.

Tobin added that the shooter was detained by a fellow moviegoer before being taken into police custody.

Reeves retired from the Tampa police 20 years ago, according to the Pasco County Sheriff's Office.

Reeves asked Chad Oulson, 43, to stop texting several times, and left the theater before returning to his seat, Pasco Sheriff Chris Nocco said. The argument began after Oulson asked Reeves if he had reported him to theater staff for using his phone, he said.

Oulson was shot in the chest, and Nichole Oulson, 33, was injured in the hand while trying to protect her husband as the shot was fired, he said.

So, yeah... remember when we were talking about gun control and some of us were for it and others of us were like, "it's not a problem as long as people are trained properly," or whatever?

Yeah, fuck that. This is crazy.

Well, to be fair, not shooting someone over something so trivial as texting in a movie theater would, I imagine, be covered under 'proper training'.

Personally I'm amazed that the US hasn't introduced a federal-level licensing program for firearms yet. Quite obviously state-level laws don't work for shit at keeping guns out of the hands of crazy people.
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe federal laws could be as effective as federal drug laws are at keeping drugs out of the hands of people.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-0114-kelly-thomas-verdict-20140114,0,6482344.story#axzz2qNbpQGgW

Two former police officers were acquitted in the beating death of Kelly Thomas in Fullerton, CA. Expect them to sue shortly to get their jobs back.

Disgusting.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-0114-kelly-thomas-verdict-20140114,0,6482344.story#axzz2qNbpQGgW

Two former police officers were acquitted in the beating death of Kelly Thomas in Fullerton, CA. Expect them to sue shortly to get their jobs back.

Disgusting.

Do you want to taser, beat down, and murder your fellow man while they scream for help?

Do you ever have the urge to attack unarmed, mentally ill homeless people?

Do you hate the idea of having to go to prison for assault, battery, and homicide?

Find your dream career at your local Police Department! Weapons supplied, free of charge.

Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Well, to be fair, not shooting someone over something so trivial as texting in a movie theater would, I imagine, be covered under 'proper training'.

Personally I'm amazed that the US hasn't introduced a federal-level licensing program for firearms yet. Quite obviously state-level laws don't work for shit at keeping guns out of the hands of crazy people.

You'd think so, but apparently you can spend decades as a police officer and not learn how to not shoot people for being annoying. Which brings me back to my point: why the fuck do we let any asshole without a felony charge walk around with a gun like this is the wild west?

Mindslicer wrote:
Maybe federal laws could be as effective as federal drug laws are at keeping drugs out of the hands of people.

You're right, it would be hard so let's just not do anything.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but you forget the really important point: if this officer had been in that theatre in aurora with his gun, he could have totally stopped that guy from shooting all those people!

as long as he noticed him texting about it first.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
why the fuck do we let any asshole without a felony charge walk around with a gun like this is the wild west?

Funnily enough, up here you actually can get a PAL (Possession & Acquisition License) if you've committed a felony, as long as it's been more than 5 years since your felony offense (and the background check shows that you aren't at risk of recidivism). Then again, we don't allow open or concealed carry (well technically we allow open carry, but only unloaded non-restricted shotguns and rifles, which suffice to say people only do when out in the boonies anyways).

Also, I still think, as I did when this topic came up on the forum before, that the root of the problem is the USA's acceptance of handguns as day-to-day things to be carried around. That and the sheer number of handguns that are floating around.

Edit: I found some statistics that are interesting:

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/canada
http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states

In the United States, civilian ownership of handguns(114,000,000) outnumbers both rifles(110,000,000) and shotguns(86,000,000) (but not both combined), with handguns accounting for ~37% of the total civilian stockpile of firearms.

In Canada, civilian ownership of handguns(1,100,000) is less than a third of the total number of rifles(3,500,000), and less than half the total number of shotguns(2,600,000), with handguns only accounting for ~15% of the total civilian stockpile of firearms.

Of course, the US also has 90 firearms for every 100 citizens, which is about triple that of Canada, so there's also that.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the real problem with the u.s. is that we have this notion that the government is out to get you, and you can protect yourself from said government with a gun.

there may be some truth in both of these notions, but only crazy people believe both.

and then we turn around and let them act on their fantasies. because we believe in everyone's god-given right to be an idiot.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
the real problem with the u.s. is that we have this notion that the government is out to get you, and you can protect yourself from said government with a gun.

there may be some truth in both of these notions, but only crazy people believe both.

and then we turn around and let them act on their fantasies. because we believe in everyone's god-given right to be an idiot.

I don't think the government necessarily has our best interests at heart a lot of the time, and I also think that Mao was right in that "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" *cough* Arab Spring *cough*, but I'm not about to turn my house into an armory because of the possibility of some far off (or not so far off, I'm never sure anymore) dystopian future. Mostly because if my country did fall into civil war, the last thing I'd want to do would be fight in it. I'd much rather stay un-perforated, thanks.

Maybe I'm just slightly less crazy than the average crazy person.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i figure the government has the whole army and navy and other heavily armed people. people with body armor, and really REALLY big guns and the training in how to use them. not to mention tanks and airplanes and submarines and who knows what all. sure, you can go shoot at them, and maybe even get a few - but there's a high probability of getting shot yourself.

i'm a big fan of Not Getting Shot.

and seriously - right now, the most negative thing the u.s. government is doing to its citizens is the whole NSA collecting-all-your-data thing. how is a gun going to protect you from that? most of the really bad things governments do - like suppressing rights, charging extortionate taxes and fees, failing to provide necessary services to some or all of its people - how does a gun protect you from any of that? you can shoot the guy who comes to arrest you in the middle of the night - but if you really want to be safe, you have to get rid of the guy who gave the order, and make sure no one takes his place.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, shit. big business just won the internet.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
well, shit. big business just won the internet.

Kinda. I mean, it is really big business vs. big business. Good thing people generally hate Verizon, Timer Warner, and Comcast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 764, 765, 766 ... 805, 806, 807  Next
Page 765 of 807

Jump to: