welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-01-14: Resolution
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrdelirio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
drat, you are right - i remembered her in school, forgot she hadn't been devilfied yet.

.....which suggests that crim is right, and no one was always a devil-girl. but blue's story (compared to pebbles) still suggests that there can be different levels of - what, involvement? willingness? self-selection? in becoming a devil-girl.

the devil, on the other hand, seems always to have been the devil, and li'l e was born with horns. so are devil-boys always devil-boys, or are some of them also bomfees?

Considering that a number of different supernatural beings seem to coexist in the Sinfestverse, my hypothesis is that some devilfolk are "original" like Big D as our most common myth casts them (supernaturals gone bad); others are so from birth (either full or part); some are would-be supernaturals who turn to the Dark Side in failure like Blue; some may be mundanes who had their soul-sale note get called, or had the Dark Side lurking trying to take over a-la-kcilS and either fell for it or were pushed over into it like the red-light district girl, and a few may have just got direct-bomfed at random like "Pebbles". Though the latter does not seem to give you a very useful devilperson right off the bat.
Hydro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saph probably isn't much for small talk, Abby, ha ha.

Neither am I really, I may make resolutions but if I go announcing them how will I hide the failure?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: 2014-01-14: Resolution Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:

People can change, Sapphire. GOSH.

Fuck that noise, I say stay static for tragedy's sake. I think seeing people have bad or unhappy ending would be good and add depth, a de-disneyfication if you will.

Or maybe having a cynical, pessimistic, highly complex character just gives me someone to relate to right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wobster109

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pebbles, Buddha, Ezekiel, and Ariel. The only actually happy characters in all of Sinfest.
Moor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me Wobster? Abby is, like, right there!
Also, Jesus, god, Nana, miniTat...
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 2014-01-14: Resolution Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Fuck that noise, I say stay static for tragedy's sake. I think seeing people have bad or unhappy ending would be good and add depth, a de-disneyfication if you will.

Or maybe having a cynical, pessimistic, highly complex character just gives me someone to relate to right now.

Quite so.
And I guess I can relate to Saph too, in a way. The only resolution I've never broken is one I made years ago: NEVER make another New Years resolution.
CalmBlueSea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:
Excuse me Wobster? Abby is, like, right there!
Also, Jesus, god, Nana, miniTat...

Absinthe does come off as happy, but is also full of self-doubt and kinda knows she's in a crappy situation (see: http://sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4646. Also, there's another, more heart-wrenching strip where she's pouring her heart out to Nique, but I dun feel like looking for it right now.). It's less being outright happy and more like having a positive outlook.

Also, if Nana stopped being happy, the entire world would implode.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Abby qualifies as happy. Being happy doesn't preclude having doubts or insecurities, it just means that you're generally happy (happy more often than not, etc), and from what we see of her she is. If you had to be constantly happy then no one in the real world would be happy, just potentially suffering long bouts of happiness.
Echo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, there's another, more heart-wrenching strip where she's pouring her heart out to Nique, but I dun feel like looking for it right now.)

This one?

But then again, I think she looks happy here. And here. And here. I think she's generally happy.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I think Abby qualifies as happy. Being happy doesn't preclude having doubts or insecurities, it just means that you're generally happy (happy more often than not, etc), and from what we see of her she is. If you had to be constantly happy then no one in the real world would be happy, just potentially suffering long bouts of happiness.

Sooo if people were happy all the time they would kind of be like the kids on Barney? Sounds like some broken hedonic treadmills Wink

On an unrelated note, in the crazy world of my brain, you and Mike are brothers from another mother.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hydro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:
Quote:
Also, there's another, more heart-wrenching strip where she's pouring her heart out to Nique, but I dun feel like looking for it right now.)

This one?

But then again, I think she looks happy here. And here. And here. I think she's generally happy.

I think she's just trying to put on a brave face, honestly.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Dogen wrote:

Sooo if people were happy all the time they would kind of be like the kids on Barney? Sounds like some broken hedonic treadmills Wink

On an unrelated note, in the crazy world of my brain, you and Mike are brothers from another mother.

I have no problem being mentally linked to guys with nice beards who say smart things.

Also Futurama is way more likely than transhumanism, IMNSHO.

Also also, I'm glad that you brought up the hedonic treadmill because that's where I was going (just without the fancy words).

Hydro wrote:
I think she's just trying to put on a brave face, honestly.

I think she has a positive emotional set point and occasionally deviates when things go bad or, like in the strip where she talks about being replaced, when she's faced with a grim reality foisted on her by external forces. The difference isn't whether things can make her sad, it's whether her steady state, her natural emotional position to which she returns unconsciously, is positive or negative. I don't see anything suggesting that when left to her own devices she's anything but happy (note that all of the sad strips are her responding to external things).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: