welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 770, 771, 772 ... 811, 812, 813  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Him

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree because I'm done arguing about this shit.

Suffice to say, if the outcome of this is Tyahnybok becoming president, I will eat my own hat.

Again, look at Hungary. And Svoboda is starting from a stronger position than Jobbik.

Oh look here's Kiev City Hall:

Who's that guy in the photo you ask? Why it's Stepan Bandera.

Again, the cops and the regime are still scum, people are right to protest, but yeah no I won't be cheering on no "color revolution" leaders aiming for economic shocktherapy while allying with neo-nazis, thanks. I hope that's not where this will end up and they lose their grip, but I need a bit more than hope before I can adopt your casual attitude to neo-nazis gaining in force.
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosetta says hello!

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Rock gets into the wine business

Also covered at the American Geophysical Union
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2014/01/29/ukrainians_defect_from_regime_to_join_demonstrations.html

Government officials and people working for state-owned firms are beginning to quit their jobs and defect over to the protesters, including a district judge and the consul-general to Istanbul.

Also, Inna Bohoslovska, a supporter of Yanukovych's party who was elected into the Ukrainian Parliament on the party ticket in 2012, is now calling for Yanukovych's resignation.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a surprise! one of the people christie threw under the bus when the bridge-closing thing broke says he has proof the governor knew about it at the time.

wildstein is the former high-school classmate that christie said he "never really hung out with" (christie being an athlete and popular and all) after the scandal broke.

heard an interview on pbs the other night with a guy who is trying to come up with english equivalents of foreign words including 'schadenfreud', but really, it works so well.
Him

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

300 Ukrainian government and media websites defaced by neo-fascist Svoboda party
Quote:
Hackers have left a deface page along with a statement on all hacked websites that ‘Svoboda’ is ready to seize power in Ukraine and that they are the only real political force in the country.

We are ready to take over, we are the only real political force in the country. We came forever; we don’t need a constitution of 2004; down with Klitschko and Yatseniuk we will go till the end”

Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://io9.com/j-k-rowling-says-hermione-should-have-married-harry-n-1514204695

Okay so this is nowhere as serious as all the horrible wars going on everywhere but I just thought it was funny. Diehard shipping fans are just going nuts over this. I love my HP shipping too but not enough that I insist it must become canon.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the relationships in HP made a lick of sense. If I were going to regret one, it would be HP and Ginny.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
None of the relationships in HP made a lick of sense. If I were going to regret one, it would be HP and Ginny.

Oh yeah. I always felt they're relationship felt super forced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. It felt like it came a bit out of nowhere that one.
Ennis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think she should have just not paired up any of the main characters, and definitely shouldn't have had that weird epilogue. Honestly, most of the time I just pretend the seventh book didn't really happen. I think I've read it once, while I've read the first five books over and over again. Sixth I think I've read twice.
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretend the epilogue doesn't exist because it was way too weird. I can deal with the rest, even if the romance parts didn't exactly excite me (I've never been much of a romance in books person).
Felgraf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
I think she should have just not paired up any of the main characters, and definitely shouldn't have had that weird epilogue. Honestly, most of the time I just pretend the seventh book didn't really happen. I think I've read it once, while I've read the first five books over and over again. Sixth I think I've read twice.

I dunno, I think book Seven *did* help cement Snape into one of the more interesting characters of the series.

/Also apparently Rowling had told Alan Rickman the *entire* character arc when they started making the films, and gave him final say over the direction of his character.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I feel Snape's characterization was the only really redeeming part of the later books as far as I'm concerned.
I can kind of understand the "this doesn't make sense, why pair these bozos up?" decision. There is a lot of value in avoiding cliches, even (especially?) in children's/young adult literature. Real life doesn't usually work out such that your OTP hooks up either, and a lot of times it doesn't seem to make sense. Frankly, who ended up with whom doesn't bother me.
But then again you're not privy to all of a person's private thoughts IRL like you can be in a narrative. I just felt like there wasn't enough in the books building up to the final arrangements of relationships, when there really could have been. That's one of the advantages fiction has, you can give the reader a more in-depth understanding of what's going on than they can often get if they were just spectators in situ. We didn't really get any of that.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woody Allen responds to the "new" scandal: http://www.theonion.com/articles/boy-ive-really-put-you-in-a-tough-spot-havent-i,34949/?ref=auto
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 770, 771, 772 ... 811, 812, 813  Next
Page 771 of 813

Jump to: