welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I would have preferred a "secret sisterhood of spooky s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wobster109 wrote:
I think we could all do with a step back and a few breaths.

Here are some guidelines for everyone.
1. Don't tell someone to fuck off if they didn't say it to you first.
2. Don't call someone names because they disagree with you.

Fuck off, roosterhands!

You asked for that one. You interrupted a nice conversation about pie to tell us to calm down. We can't calm down. Pie is serious business.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zarus wrote:
They're the cool kids. That's how they show they're the cool kids, by being douchey and obfuscatory. They're just expressing their inner nature.

It's in-group and out-group dynamics. If anyone cared what you thought you'd get a better reception. For instance, one of my favorite people (Halen) happens to believe something along the same lines as you (broadly, not exactly). But, since you're new your opinion is more or less meaningless. Not fair, but the nature of social interaction, especially on (but not specific to) this cold, anonymous internet.
zarus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
one of my favorite people

are you 9 years old

This isn't even like the pie thing, you're actually being at least 15% sincere.

I'm actually really interested personally in creating distributed applications to help people form their own secure, untraceable, heavily encrypted social networks, but this is starting to make me think that the natives of the Internet maybe need to be subjected to Big Brother's discipline.

Last edited by zarus on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, and you want to say we're douches. I can't imagine why anyone is impolite to you.

P.S. Yes, I'm clearly a 9-year-old explaining group dynamics to you. You should feel bad.

EDIT: Yes, I was being sincere. Halen really is one of my favorite people.

Last edited by Dogen on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wobster109 wrote:
I think we could all do with a step back and a few breaths.

Here are some guidelines for everyone.
1. Don't tell someone to fuck off if they didn't say it to you first.
2. Don't call someone names because they disagree with you.

Um no, it doesn't work that way.

If someone says something like this "If they were just vicious, destructive bitches who liked burning things and weird ritual magic, I would've dug it", and it's specifically against the sisterhood . . . Obviously sexist statement? check. Do I find it highly offensive? check. Good 'nuff for me to feel justified telling someone to 'fuck off'; i meet hate with hate. Also, using an accurate term to describe someone based upon the actions they are doing isn't 'name calling', it's just stating facts e.g. if you disagree with someone and call them a 'bear fucker' it's name calling, but if you see some actually fucking a bear in the woods and call them 'bear fucker' it's not.

BUT I'M GETTING OFF TOPIC, RIGHT?

I have both wild strawberries and rhubarb growing by my house. So you know what that means come late summer, right?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
zarus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is he your favoritest

or just one of your favoritest

like your third favoritest

edit: And how is posting 10k posts on a forum something to be proud of, even on the Internet?

edit:edit: Theodore Dalrymple talks about how Britain tolerates the culture of the slums because of "multiculturalism," and yet the culture of the slums is distinctly monolithic and intolerant towards any kind of variation. I think I'm seeing something of that here.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you know this, but bullying (the use of strength or power to harm or intimidate) only works if you have 1) strength or 2) power. It's obvious you have no "strength" here, and I just explained why you have no power. So, trying to intimidate me by mocking my use of language is just going to end with me explaining all the big words to you.

Now then, since you asked, and I'm a decent host. I wouldn't say he's my most favorite. He's among the people I appreciate here, a group I can colloquially refer to as "favorites" when compared to other people who attempt to cover their inability to address a topic in any depth by making superficial and meaningless attacks against a person instead.* Did you have any other questions?

* That's you.
zarus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody here has power. This is the Internet. I mean, shit, I'm pretty entranced by the possibilities of the Internet, but I've never been delusional enough to equate social capital on a forum with "power." Jesus Christ.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zarus wrote:
edit: And how is posting 10k posts on a forum something to be proud of, even on the Internet?

edit:edit: Theodore Dalrymple talks about how Britain tolerates the culture of the slums because of "multiculturalism," and yet the culture of the slums is distinctly monolithic and intolerant towards any kind of variation. I think I'm seeing something of that here.

What makes you think I'm proud of my post count? I'm not. It's just a number.

Your attempt at intellectual discourse is appreciated, but unfortunately one reference to intolerance to variation is hardly compelling. All social groups have some degree of homogeneity, because people like being in the company of others who share similar interests and ideas. A competent analogy depends on two limits: it must include all relevant similarities, and it must not include any relevant dissimilarities. Do you think comparing Sinfest to a slum meets those criteria, or is it a bad analogy?
zarus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinfest draws on the culture of slums, perhaps misguidedly. And it has a tacitly multicultural slant. So there's enough correspondence for my reference to have some relevance.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zarus wrote:
Nobody here has power. This is the Internet. I mean, shit, I'm pretty entranced by the possibilities of the Internet, but I've never been delusional enough to equate social capital on a forum with "power." Jesus Christ.

Then you misunderstand the use of the word. For instance, my dictionary includes "influence" in the definition of power. Who do you think wields more influence on this forum, me or you?

Now, if you take this question as an allusion to status then we're going to have a problem. Don't read into it, it's just a question of, as you rightly noted, social capital. Because social capital is influence (among other things).
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zarus wrote:
Sinfest draws on the culture of slums, perhaps misguidedly. And it has a tacitly multicultural slant. So there's enough correspondence for my reference to have some relevance.

So you're saying it's a bad analogy, then.
zarus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
dictionary

I thought at first you used "lexicon," but instead you said "dictionary." It wouldn't have added much to the general air of pretentiousness either way.

But my point still stands, you used the word "power" because you think that your "influence" actually means something. Because you think that there's something "solid" to it. When there's not. This is all just php pages that will be seen by like 50 people worldwide, tops.

Quote:
So you're saying it's a bad analogy, then.

If you don't get the point, or at least some inkling of a point, then I don't think any analogy would work with you.

Last edited by zarus on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and here you are, arguing over it with him

lololololololololol
zarus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
and here you are, arguing over it with him

lololololololololol

People've accused me of being autistic in the past, but this is a whole new fucking level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 3 of 18

Jump to: