welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I would have preferred a "secret sisterhood of spooky s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Well, I feel like I wasted my time writing that long thing that was buried pages ago. Except for the fact that it seems like Squig playing the banjo did indeed segue into a plot, sort of. If things take a turn for the "flowing continuity" from now on I'm going to wonder if Tat did indeed read my spiel.

Just admit you are Tat, already, Ennis-Tat. We are on to you!
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many faces.
Ennis is Tat. Thy is Tat.
The author surrounds.

Ennis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Saved me time really. Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
If it's any consolation, it read like a fine apologist circulation in an opinion editorial.

I tried to be polite to you and actually address your "points" even though I've read your utter bullshit in other threads, but thanks to this comment I feel comfortable in finally saying that I find you to be an irritating, pretentious, self-aggrandising shitwaffle who lacks even the most basic of social awareness. Your "rebuttals" to people's points are non-sequiters that would impress even the dadaists. The only ability I've ever seen you display is managing to piss people off, and not in an elegant way, not as the result of finely crafted insults or witty repartee, but simply by your maddening way of missing everyone's point completely, claiming you didn't and then accusing them of things that don't even make sense, all the while taking absolutely no responsibility for your past words, even when they are directly quoted back at you. You make a mockery of the art of debate, and I pity whoever has to put up with your ridiculous horseshit in person.
Ennis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Ennis wrote:
Well, I feel like I wasted my time writing that long thing that was buried pages ago. Except for the fact that it seems like Squig playing the banjo did indeed segue into a plot, sort of. If things take a turn for the "flowing continuity" from now on I'm going to wonder if Tat did indeed read my spiel.

Just admit you are Tat, already, Ennis-Tat. We are on to you!

God, I wish I could draw as well (and quickly) as Tat. I have my own comic that I'd be drawing if I thought I could pull it off (at least visually) this well. But alas, I am a mere university animator worrying about whether or not I'll even be able to get a job at the end of it all.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A ruse!

I'd hire you when I start a game design company in 2 years time but I'm in Europe and prolly won't be paying you more than minimum wage. :<
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you learning 3d animation?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: It really is painful to be misunderstood. Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:
If it's any consolation, it read like a fine apologist circulation in an opinion editorial.

I tried to be polite to you and actually address your "points" even though I've read your utter bullshit in other threads, but thanks to this comment I feel comfortable in finally saying that I find you to be an irritating, pretentious, self-aggrandising shitwaffle who lacks even the most basic of social awareness. Your "rebuttals" to people's points are non-sequiters that would impress even the dadaists. The only ability I've ever seen you display is managing to piss people off, and not in an elegant way, not as the result of finely crafted insults or witty repartee, but simply by your maddening way of missing everyone's point completely, claiming you didn't and then accusing them of things that don't even make sense, all the while taking absolutely no responsibility for your past words, even when they are directly quoted back at you. You make a mockery of the art of debate, and I pity whoever has to put up with your ridiculous horseshit in person.

You claimed empowerment was a buzz word (that was your entire argument, I checked), I proceeded to define my specific issue with how tat represents women standing up for themselves, not as individuals, but as a group, believing that this empowers women, when in fact some of his readers aren't so lucky to have such a nice support group.

I did this as clearly and politely as I possibly could, (entirely for your benefit), and you blew me off.

Clearly you incorrectly assumed that I was speaking about how some asshole artists draw disproportionately sized women flaunting their stuff in like superhero comics or something.

If you feel you are wasting time, then be more laconic.

If you feel that you weren't being the slightest bit apologetic for tat, then I'll apologize for my behavior.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll regret this, i'm sure, but i have to object to your saying that tat just portrays women standing up for themselves as groups and not individuals, and that this somehow shortchanges women's empowerment (or whatever your problem with that was, i'm sure it will change in your future responses). true, the sisterhood acts as a group, but monique has frequently been shown standing up for herself when she was all alone, as well as standing up for other women, when she happens to see them harrassed. so your premise is sort of wrong to begin with.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
i'll regret this, i'm sure, but i have to object to your saying that tat just portrays women standing up for themselves as groups and not individuals, and that this somehow shortchanges women's empowerment (or whatever your problem with that was, i'm sure it will change in your future responses). true, the sisterhood acts as a group, but monique has frequently been shown standing up for herself when she was all alone, as well as standing up for other women, when she happens to see them harrassed. so your premise is sort of wrong to begin with.

If Monique is empowered, then why is she still depressed? Why is she not happy?

I personally feel that her actions are portrayed to not make much of a difference.

She has to do defend herself and others repeatedly, and it makes little to no dent on the world, which is why I feel it produces an apathetic effect on the reader.

"Even if I do what she does, I will always have to do it, constantly, and ultimately it will make very little difference."

I've seen no real lasting effect of her actions.

It almost feels like everything goes back to normal after every strip, kinda like a Simpson's episode.

I attribute the decline in viewership to the same phenomena which effects the Simpsons.

Am I wrong in saying this?
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do you think she's depressed? she's been shown to be happy even after discovering the matrix. she's not constantly bubbling over with joy, of course, but then she never did.

and i wouldn't say she's not making a difference - she's inspired minique, absinthe seems to see her as a role-model - who knows where that will go? even slick is starting to get that some of his behavior is problematic.

so yes, you are wrong.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
why do you think she's depressed? she's been shown to be happy even after discovering the matrix. she's not constantly bubbling over with joy, of course, but then she never did.

and i wouldn't say she's not making a difference - she's inspired minique, absinthe seems to see her as a role-model - who knows where that will go? even slick is starting to get that some of his behavior is problematic.

so yes, you are wrong.

So what you're saying is that Monique is only capable of changes at the interpersonal level?

That that's the grand vision that tat has for her character, who's been in the strip from the very beginning?

I expected something more than that.

I wouldn't call Monique satisfied, much less happy.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....how on earth do you change people, if not on the interpersonal level.

and who knows what you mean by 'happy'. monique is quite normally happy.

and tat stated pretty clearly in the article both stripey and i linked, that he doesn't have a grand vision for anything. so you may expect any number of things, but it is hardly reasonable to expect tat to give them to you.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
.....how on earth do you change people, if not on the interpersonal level.

and who knows what you mean by 'happy'. monique is quite normally happy.

and tat stated pretty clearly in the article both stripey and i linked, that he doesn't have a grand vision for anything. so you may expect any number of things, but it is hardly reasonable to expect tat to give them to you.

I'm saying she should have a more significant effect on the world she lives in mouse.

That too much to ask for?

I don't think so.

Bill Watterson wrote:
I made a lot of impassioned arguments for why a work of art should reflect the ideas and beliefs of its creator..

If tat doesn't have a grand vision, he should stop comparing himself to Watterson.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he doesn't have a whole grand plan for the strip in terms of a long-term story line, was the impression i got. it does seem to reflect it's creators ideas and beliefs - some of which tat is clearly still working out (like the whole patriarchy thing).

and since calvin and hobbes had no story line at all....i mean talk about characters not showing any change!

and why should monique be the one burdened with making a significant impact on her world?

look, what you want from the strip is clearly not what tat wants to do with it. you will just have to figure out how you deal with that.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then we'll simply have to wait and see what he does with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: