welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 772, 773, 774 ... 806, 807, 808  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Dogen wrote:
Copenhagen Zoo puts down 2-year-old giraffe Marius, dissects him in front of zoo visitos (and streams it online), then feeds him to lions... said it was necessary to prevent inbreeding, despite interest from other zoos in taking him.

Quote:
"I'm actually proud because I think we have given children a huge understanding of the anatomy of a giraffe that they wouldn't have had from watching a giraffe in a photo," Stenbaek Bro told AP.
Shocked Shocked Shocked

The zoo part is a nonsense. They had asked other zoos and they wouldn't take him. A private group had wanted him but they weren't affiliated with legal instances thus providing no certainty he'd be taken care of properly.

Animals get put down all the time when there's too many of them. At least Marius got to be useful after death. I don't get why people are making a big deal about this when they couldn't give a flying toss about the chickens and cows in their supermarket.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickens and cows aren't endangered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's probably more relevant is that they aren't dissected in front of children.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Chickens and cows aren't endangered.

Though they are related by birth.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
The zoo part is a nonsense. They had asked other zoos and they wouldn't take him. A private group had wanted him but they weren't affiliated with legal instances thus providing no certainty he'd be taken care of properly.

Animals get put down all the time when there's too many of them. At least Marius got to be useful after death. I don't get why people are making a big deal about this when they couldn't give a flying toss about the chickens and cows in their supermarket.

The article says Yorkshire Zoo had the capacity to take him and the Copenhagen zoo declined, saying the space at Yorkshire Zoo should be used for a "genetically more important male."
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that might actually be a legit argument

redundant genes aren't what you need to protect an endangered species from excessive bottlenecking, genetic variety is

mouse wrote:
what's probably more relevant is that they aren't dissected in front of children.

cows and frogs are, though
Echo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet trolls are horrible people because SCIENCE says so
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:

So given that banning trolls probably won't work, here's an alternative.
When somebody is reported as a troll frequently enough, silently hide their comments from all users except them. That way they think they're gunking up the works, but nobody else is able to see their bait. They don't get the reactions they want, they don't know they've been hidden, they aren't banned. That should starve out some of them and get them to move on.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Echo wrote:

So given that banning trolls probably won't work, here's an alternative.
When somebody is reported as a troll frequently enough, silently hide their comments from all users except them. That way they think they're gunking up the works, but nobody else is able to see their bait. They don't get the reactions they want, they don't know they've been hidden, they aren't banned. That should starve out some of them and get them to move on.

For relevance, some ideas about trolling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHSSNyIlAps
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
that might actually be a legit argument

redundant genes aren't what you need to protect an endangered species from excessive bottlenecking, genetic variety is

Even if we accept this as true, whose job is it to protect the gene pool at Yorkshire Zoo? Yorkshire Zoo's, or Copenhagen Zoo's?
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these pops up every couple of years... but... 1 in 4 Americans think sun orbits the Earth... which is actually higher than the Europeans asked.

So, we got that going for us, which is nice.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 in 3 Europeans, yikes Shocked

Quote:
only 48 percent knew that humans evolved from earlier species of animals

I'd be interested to know how strong the correlation is between getting these two questions wrong
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
One of these pops up every couple of years... but... 1 in 4 Americans think sun orbits the Earth... which is actually higher than the Europeans asked.

So, we got that going for us, which is nice.

And this is why: http://youtu.be/kkCwFkOZoOY?t=13s
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Yinello wrote:

The article says Yorkshire Zoo had the capacity to take him and the Copenhagen zoo declined, saying the space at Yorkshire Zoo should be used for a "genetically more important male."

Weird, our news said that no zoo would take him. I'm starting to wonder where they got their sources now.

@Darq: Giraffes are endangered? Where'd you get that from? My google fu fails me.

@ no one in particular: Also why does it matter if an animal is dissected for children? They learn about the animal, sounds pretty educative to me.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Weird, our news said that no zoo would take him. I'm starting to wonder where they got their sources now.

I don't know. The BBC article I linked to quotes Bengt Holst, the scientific and conservation director at the Copenhagen zoo, as saying the Yorkshire wildlife park should keep its available capacity for a giraffe with the best genes.

I have issues with zoos in general (I'm conflicted about their benefit to species at large versus their harm to individual animals), so having zoos kill animals when other zoos would take them makes me even more wary of their overall cost-benefit ratio.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 772, 773, 774 ... 806, 807, 808  Next
Page 773 of 808

Jump to: