welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-02-17 Catching Amoeba
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tricksterson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This strip has me thinking. It's a safe bet that, assuming they weren't born devil girls, that Fuschia, Absinthe, Blue etc, weren't named that at birth. Maybe the bomfing process wipes your identity?
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know that Blue was always named Baby Blue, though. Her Divinity School report card and her resume said her name on them, and that was before she was a devil girl.

... I think the entire point of bomfing seems to be giving D-man more control and power over the victim, while the victim suffers a lack of identity and control over themselves, so I'm not really writing off that interpretation just yet. Although currently I think Blue and Pebbles have unique circumstances. Unless we learn the identities of Blue's other classmates in Divinity School, I might have my doubts whether or not she could be truly classified as human before becoming a devil girl... and I think Pebbles is the only one to become an amnesiac upon bomfing, as she seems to have been disoriented, confused and grumpy by their conversion, while no other instances of bomfing have shown the same side-effects... But the question would then become what about Pebbles was vital for D-man to eliminate her identity for? or if not D-man's doing, which outside variable caused the amnesia?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't actually know that she knew who she was before being bomf'd.
Ennis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wild theory: bomfing usually doesn't cause amnesia, but because Pebbles wanted to leave her either boring or terrible (or both) previous life behind the vaguely sentient magic made it so. It also gave her cool powers based on her rambunctious personality and the fact she may have wanted some (she's much more enthusiastic about bomfing than any other character I've seen). If she really wanted to she could remember her past, but right now she's finally having fun and getting to do whatever she wants, so nah.
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
But the question would then become what about Pebbles was vital for D-man to eliminate her identity for? or if not D-man's doing, which outside variable caused the amnesia?

Well, there were a few other variables... I think that those might have something to do with her lack of memory and general confusion.
AngelLilly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I still want 'Peebs' to be called 'Autumn' but that's just me. 'Tangerine' or 'Tange' are still acceptable though. There are certainly a lot of cute options that have been thrown around over time.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tangerine, Sandy, Dorito and Autumn are my top choices tbh. Tangerine is most likely, Sandy is cute as fuck, Dorito is HILARIOUS, and Autumn would be really interesting. Everything else is just so-so to me.

Istancow wrote:
We don't actually know that she knew who she was before being bomf'd.

I never suggested that anyone - the devil girls themselves, or otherwise - knew who any of the devil girls were before being bomfed. What I said was WE know that Baby Blue has always been named Baby Blue. And I'm not sure if the same applies for the other named devil girls.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Is no one going to talk about how adorable panel 3 with the puppy licking Lil'E is?
it is completely adorable, but also brings up some of the more problematic aspects of owning a 3-headed dog. i mean, it can be hard enough avoiding the tongue of a one-headed dog that desperately wants to lick your face - can you imagine trying to dodge 3?
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Chicken wrote:
The sweet, innocent country girl took almost 3 years to think about her own name since she got bomfed.
Very Happy

For reference: http://sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3839

i guess she's never introduced herself before - and no one has ever asked (not that she would have given them much of a chance)

and although i am rather attached to 'pebbles' i love the idea of "tiger lily". i always think of the one in "through the looking glass" - it stood up to the flowers that were insulting alice, and that fits with pebble's personality.
swicked

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay, so... I dunno if it matters, or if it's been explained before, or whatever since I'm new, but did god intentionally wipe lil' E's brain?

'Cause I didn't read the entire archive previously. I still haven't, but I found where he first got amnesia through the power of google and, since it was 'cause of a lightningbolt and he was stealing apples (something a couple strips earlier Slick tried and got zapped with the hand clearly firing the bolt), I was wondering if god did it to him on purpose.
If so, can only god give him his memories back? 'Cause I look forward to seeing where Lily will land.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Li'l E got amnesia because he washed his face in the lethe. It was not a result of God zapping him, but rather a reaction to it. God zapped him, thus he got all fried. Irritated with this, he washes his face in the first river he sees.

http://sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4035

The lethe was first shown here, in which Slick jumps into the lethe to wipe his memory from trauma of realizing that he is only a fictional character.

So the cure to Li'l E's amnesia would be something akin to how Slick cured his own.

http://sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3890

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see, this is the sort of thing that gives you hope for slick. how many people would go to the effort of carrying a wounded pig?

.....i'm presuming, of course, that he was headed for the vet.
swicked

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh.
Sorry for the confusion, but thank you, Miss Magenta.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense now!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
So the cure to Li'l E's amnesia would be something akin to how Slick cured his own.

The thing is, though, Li'l E's been shown all sorts of things from his previous life that haven't jolted him back to his old self. It makes you wonder what exactly it'll take. Maybe some particularly significant interaction with D-man, whether good or bad?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: