welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 773, 774, 775 ... 821, 822, 823  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the wikipedia article is pretty thorough http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marius_%28giraffe%29

one thing it mentions that I didn't know is that there were tens of thousands of signatures on a petition to save the giraffe since they announced its slaughter beforehand

one thing it doesn't mention that I heard somewhere is that the director of Columbus zoo was offering a significant sum of money as well

what this all boils down to, I think, is that someone wanted to kill a giraffe, so they did
Quote:
Giraffes are endangered?

some subspecies are
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12243
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
what this all boils down to, I think, is that someone wanted to kill a giraffe, so they did

I think the evidence is spotty.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, yeah, both positions you can take on this are neck-and-neck, really
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10554
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
@Darq: Giraffes are endangered? Where'd you get that from? My google fu fails me.


Main wiki article on giraffes, third paragraph. Verified here: http://www.iucnredlist.org/search I' could be wrong, but I believe the rest that are endangered are considered 'threatened'.

I'm not entirely against the idea behind, I mean nature is nature and feeding it to the lions seems to make sense, but emotional and conservation arguments aside, it just seems like bad PR in general.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10788
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reticulated giraffe, the subspecies to which Marius belonged, is not endangered. I don't think the zoo would have culled him had he been of an endangered subspecies, though I don't know.

My only issue with it is that other zoos wanted him, had the space, and adequate facilities. So, the only relevant argument that I can see is that of genes: that an animal may be of such low quality genes as to not only warrant not breeding, but destruction. I don't doubt that the Copenhagen zoo has the right to make that decision for itself, but I'm curious why it (or any zoo) gets to be the sole arbiter of whether an animal is destroyed when other adequate homes are available.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. I’ll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Istancow



Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 1103
Location: Hel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet and activist Hashem Shaabani executed for "sowing corruption on earth, propaganda against the Islamic Republic and acting against national security".
_________________
Greetings, fool mortals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mindslicer



Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 1854
Location: North of the People's Republic of Massachusetts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four of the king's men in California beat a man unconscious for using sign language to tell them he's deaf.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2014/02/14/65377.htm

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (CN) - Clueless Hawthorne police beat and Tasered a deaf man as he signaled to them that he was deaf and his friend had loaned him the snowboard he was carrying, the man claims in court.

In a federal complaint for violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, Jonathan Meister claims the attack could have been avoided had Hawthorne trained its police officers to communicate with the deaf and hard of hearing.

Officers confronted him on Feb. 13 outside a friend's home as he picked up a snowboard and winter clothes for a trip to Utah, Meister says in the lawsuit.

Meister says he used hand gestures to try to tell police he is deaf and was lawfully at the home.

The cops were having none of it. They "shot Taser darts into Mr. Meister, administered a number of painful electric shocks, struck him with fists and feet, and forcibly took him to the ground," he says in the complaint.

Officers kicked and punched him in the back and stomach, choked and Tasered him, delivering "punishing shocks" and intentionally "burning his flesh," Meister claims.

He says four defendant officers took part in the attack: Jeffrey Salmon, Jeffrey Tysl, Erica Bristow and Mark Hultgren.

After he was knocked unconscious and taken to a hospital, he cited for assaulting the officers and released, but the charges were dropped.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17267
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

mouse wrote:
what's probably more relevant is that they aren't dissected in front of children.


cows and frogs are, though



.....wow. the biggest we ever did was a fetal pig. you school must have had mad space - or was there just one cow for the whole class? because if everyone got their own cow.....
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17267
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:

@ no one in particular: Also why does it matter if an animal is dissected for children? They learn about the animal, sounds pretty educative to me.


it is very educational, but also very real. and some people are not real big on letting their kids know about some of the realer aspects of life. like, not explaining to the kids that chickens don't just magically disassemble themselves and wrap themselves in plastic, like they are in the supermarket.

i dunno, that may be more an american thing.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17267
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
Poet and activist Hashem Shaabani executed for "sowing corruption on earth, propaganda against the Islamic Republic and acting against national security".


i followed a link in that story and got to this:
Quote:
Iran’s justice minister says there is “no need” to execute a convicted drug smuggler who survived a botched hanging.

Mostafa Pourmohammadi said executing the man would harm the country’s image, the semi-official ISNA news agency reported.


executing a peaceful poet, apparently not so much.

some days one despairs for the human race.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Arc Tempest



Joined: 28 Jan 2007
Posts: 4903
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well being a drug smuggler is one thing, being a dirty dirty Arab who dares question his Persian overlords is another.
_________________
The older I get, the more certain I become of one thing. True and abiding cynicism is simply a form of cowardice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10554
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putin is back to playing führer :

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/news/putin-olympics-pussy-riot

Quote:
The very stupidity of the nature of the arrest is clearly strategic. Pussy Riot were arrested while they were minding their own business, and for no good reason. George Orwell noted in a letter about why he wrote 1984 that the point of the police state is not to demonstrate the state's control over people's bodies but their capacity to shape accepted reality. A police state needs to impose absurdity to show the depths of its power. Putin could easily have waited for Pussy Riot to stage a protest, to cause a disruption, and then arrested them on the basis of "hooliganism" as he did in 2012. Instead, he saw to it that they were arrested for the silliest of reasons, and made sure everybody knew how silly those reasons were.

_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake


Last edited by Darqcyde on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2758
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Yinello wrote:

@ no one in particular: Also why does it matter if an animal is dissected for children? They learn about the animal, sounds pretty educative to me.


it is very educational, but also very real. and some people are not real big on letting their kids know about some of the realer aspects of life. like, not explaining to the kids that chickens don't just magically disassemble themselves and wrap themselves in plastic, like they are in the supermarket.

i dunno, that may be more an american thing.


Magical disassembling! I lolled.

Perhaps it is cultural, my tiny nieces and nephews had no problem watching a cow get decapitated.
_________________
Help. Help, my eyes are stuck from rolling so hard. Help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2758
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
Four of the king's men in California beat a man unconscious for using sign language to tell them he's deaf.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2014/02/14/65377.htm

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (CN) - Clueless Hawthorne police beat and Tasered a deaf man as he signaled to them that he was deaf and his friend had loaned him the snowboard he was carrying, the man claims in court.

In a federal complaint for violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, Jonathan Meister claims the attack could have been avoided had Hawthorne trained its police officers to communicate with the deaf and hard of hearing.

Officers confronted him on Feb. 13 outside a friend's home as he picked up a snowboard and winter clothes for a trip to Utah, Meister says in the lawsuit.

Meister says he used hand gestures to try to tell police he is deaf and was lawfully at the home.

The cops were having none of it. They "shot Taser darts into Mr. Meister, administered a number of painful electric shocks, struck him with fists and feet, and forcibly took him to the ground," he says in the complaint.

Officers kicked and punched him in the back and stomach, choked and Tasered him, delivering "punishing shocks" and intentionally "burning his flesh," Meister claims.

He says four defendant officers took part in the attack: Jeffrey Salmon, Jeffrey Tysl, Erica Bristow and Mark Hultgren.

After he was knocked unconscious and taken to a hospital, he cited for assaulting the officers and released, but the charges were dropped.


Da fuck?? So he did some wavy gestures in their face (which I assume is what someone who doesn't know sign language would see) and this is somehow reason for them to beat him up?

Also this:
Quote:
Numerous, similar lawsuits have been filed across the country, in which police beat and arrested diabetics suffering from insulin shock, believing, or claiming to believe, that they were drunk.
Okay why the fuck is the standard reaction: Beat em up? Isn't that supposed to be a latter resort when the person starts becoming violent?
_________________
Help. Help, my eyes are stuck from rolling so hard. Help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17267
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one does start to wonder about the mind-set of some of these cops. it's not clear from that article why they stopped the deaf guy in the first place - since he had his friend's permission, one presumes they didn't catch him climbing out a window or otherwise looking like he was burgling the place.

it's all seriously disturbing.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 773, 774, 775 ... 821, 822, 823  Next
Page 774 of 823

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group