welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-2-21 Was it you guys?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zarus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: 2014-2-21 Was it you guys? Reply with quote

Mad devilgirl needs to be in the comic more often.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sapphire. Yeah, she should get more appearances. She's such a gem. Her cynical, sarcastic and bitter disdain for the world is absolutely priceless.

And this strip has made me realize something... Xanthe really deserves more opportunities to have actual conversations that don't just involve her or the other party just talking at each other more often. And she deserves to be able to interact with other characters besides Slick more often. Sapphire and Xanthe aren't saying a whole lot to each other in this strip... but at least they're actually conversing, man.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Sapphire. Yeah, she should get more appearances. She's such a gem.

I sense a pun.
SA_Penguin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two female characters, having a discussion...
...no males mentioned. ["Guys" assumed as gender neutral]

This is a Bechdel Test Passing Grade.
Echo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone else half-hoping that Sapphire gets together with 'Nique's darker side for some real destructive antics?
Moor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:
Is anyone else half-hoping that Sapphire gets together with 'Nique's darker side for some real destructive antics?

And tea. Yes.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if Saph is gently teasing or subtly mocking.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, I could totally see Saph with the Sisterhood. Very Happy Though she might be a bit too destructive for their tastes.
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:
Echo wrote:

And tea. Yes.

I remember a previous version of the Sinfest Wiki page where someone had written that Sapphire was 'Nique's dark side, or at least her mirror-world alter ego. I was always pretty sure that wasn't the case, and at some point it did get corrected.

Yinello wrote:
Dang, I could totally see Saph with the Sisterhood. Very Happy Though she might be a bit too destructive for their tastes.

She and Little Sis might be able to find some common ground...
Graybeard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:

And this strip has made me realize something... Xanthe really deserves more opportunities to have actual conversations that don't just involve her or the other party just talking at each other more often. And she deserves to be able to interact with other characters besides Slick more often.

"Deserves" to? How so? Do you think she WANTS to? Not so obvious to me. My father-in-law is never happier than when he is just talking "at" someone, in lecture mode, and not caring whether they're having conversations. He's about as different from Xanthe temperamentally as possible, but some people are just that way.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She deserves to, as in her characterization and her development is stifled and limited because she rarely gets the opportunity to actually speak and converse with main characters except for Slick. She has been around for like three years or so, and we still do not know enough about her as a person in comparison to say, Pebbles or Absinthe. We do not see her conversing nearly enough with characters that are supposedly her friends, and we do not get to see her conversing nearly enough with the main characters. She does not have enough interactions or fleshed out relationships of which to speak of and it's not good for her as a character. I love Xanthe, she is my favorite character, but I'm not about to pretend she's this wonderfully fleshed out and developed character, because really, Tat rarely gives any attention or thought to her as a person with thoughts, feelings and relationships than... you know, an ideal. It's a totally separate thing from whatever you're going on about.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's a totally separate thing from whatever you're going on about.

Congratulations on your new world record for missing the point.

Xanthe is well developed. She is developed as a character who is downright monomaniacal, in a way that is both morally and behaviorally consistent. (So is my FIL, and I use his example to try to explain some consequences of that.) She doesn't "deserve" to be "developed" to do things that are contrary to her personality. Does she "deserve" a more balanced, nuanced, "developed" personality to begin with? A matter of taste, but you won't get it without changing who she is.
Hydro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:
Echo wrote:

And tea. Yes.

Then our Sinfest world will finally right a terrible, terrible wrong.

Introducing a proper tea house proper, dammit.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graybeard wrote:
Congratulations on your new world record for missing the point.

tbh i think youre the one missing the point of what i'm saying

alright here let me put it this way, we know xanthe has friends. the other girls in the sisterhood are her friends. we know she talks to them, we know she has fun with them. we know she has interests - interests that do not necessarily involve driving around trying to educate others. but though we know she has friends, and we know that she talks to them about things she enjoys, and we know she HAS INTERESTS AND ENJOYS THINGS, we are rarely shown any of those three things. we are rarely shown her hanging out with her friends, we are more often shown xanthe putting up with slick, who she may have a strange kind of fondness for but the fact remains that he doesn't even know her name and is kind of irritating most of the time. we are rarely shown her enjoying the things we know she likes, or talking about them. with her friends. the rare instances in which she's shown hanging out with her friends, theyre not talking about any shared interests - they all seem to like wonderwoman, there is literally no reason why tat can't show us the girls talking to each other about comics if they clearly enjoy them. we aren't really given many examples of any of the girls having many hobbies or interests. the idea of xanthe talking to her friends, or even other characters like nique or minique or absinthe or fuchsia or criminy or li'l e, about things she enjoys is not "contrary" to her personality. we are not ever shown anything that would make you think that it is. and i would hardly classify her "monomaniacal" since she does show interests outside of educating others about activism - in fact, her main beef is that she wants to live in a world where she doesn't HAVE to educate others about societal imbalances. man, youre acting like i want her to tell someone her entire's life story when that's honestly too personal given how little she knows most of the cast.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sapphire and Slick.
FLR with playful hints of femdom relationship.
I dig it.
I dig it.
I dig it.
*visions of fanart dance in her head*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: