welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 256, 257, 258 ... 314, 315, 316  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm probably basically arguing at a brick wall, but I'm proud of some of the quotes that are coming out of it. They might come in handy at some later point.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:
Actually, Thy, you stated as a fact:
Thy Brilliance wrote:
If games were literally crafted to suit people at an individual level, everyone would hate it.

Which I am disproving, by pointing out the complete absence of evidence.

Also, here's a question for you, in response:
How many D&D characters have I made?
In fact, I'll make it easier: What is the gorram order of magnitude of the number of D&D characters I've made?

And yes, some of them have been based pretty exactly on me. Others have been me, but with one or two notable differences -- you know, playing around with personality and stuff. Others have been completely different. All of them, by providing that flexibility, led to a much richer experience.
(And yes, I have done similar things in other games, too. But D&D is the only one I can say "guess the order of magnitude" about, and I liked that phrase too much to think of a more exact-to-what-you-might-have-been-thinking example.)

... And is that last comment responding to my answering your "never wrongly asked"* question? Like, what's that comment doing there? Saying that my answer wasn't necessary?

* an idea which, by the way, I do despise, because it ignores the rhetorical uses of questions and requires a deliberately limited understanding of the wonderful variety provided by English (and probably other languages, too, but I'm not fluent in any others) grammar and usage.

I'm going to assume somewhere in the 10^1 order of magnitude? Unless you're counting NPC's,run a lot of one shots, you die a LOT, or you've been playing for a long time.. I'm having trouble picturing 10^2. (I'd believe it, mind! I'd just be REALLY impressed. =) )

/Also that is an AWESOME phrase and an excellent counter-example.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:
Are we talking about games or mods here people?

We're talking games as a whole, including independent efforts -- which actually does include mods.
That said, HR's comment was also very obviously sarcastic.

Well, no, I wasn't being sarcastic, but if I could be said to have been arguing anything at all it would have been that it didn't hurt the integrity of the game in the slightest to completely change what the main character was. It was only improved.

I had intended that argument, but didn't bother making it clear because I held priorities, such as my own amusement, higher than bothering with clear rhetoric.
Moor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf: Yeah, 10^1. But I really wanted to say "guess the order of magnitude", okay!?

HR: Yeah, that. I almost picked the right phrase...
Ennis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
In related news, I'm so excited for Sims4 it hurts.

ME TOO! The new customisation options look amazing! They're so intuitive now!
but I'm still annoyed there isn't any kind of height option
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Samsally wrote:

But are the Sims themselves intuitive enough to escape a maze of burning bookcases and couches.

That is the question.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:
Felgraf: Yeah, 10^1. But I really wanted to say "guess the order of magnitude", okay!?

HR: Yeah, that. I almost picked the right phrase...

Oh, no, as I said: The phrase "Guess the order of magnitude" was AWESOME. I wasn't trying to be nit picky, I was just trying to guess. XD (And reasoning through my guess in my post.)
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Samsally wrote:

Oh that is a bummer! Even if it wasn't a sliding scale, it'd be nice to pick between 'short' 'average' and 'tall' or something. It's not the end of the world or anything, but it'd be cool to see in the future anyway.

Felgraf wrote:
But are the Sims themselves intuitive enough to escape a maze of burning bookcases and couches.

That is the question.

I honestly haven't heard much about the behavior of the sims themselves, now that you mention it. I have no idea what to expect on that front. I just saw pretty pictures of the sim building interface and geeked out about that for a while.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: naturally I'll expect an apology for your rudeness Reply with quote

Moor wrote:
Actually, Thy, you stated as a fact:
Thy Brilliance wrote:
If games were literally crafted to suit people at an individual level, everyone would hate it.

Which I am disproving, by pointing out the complete absence of evidence.

No no no my dear child.

The only thing you are demonstrating is your own ignorance by demanding for evidence which I take for granted.

But since I'm so nice, I even got it for you.

Modernism, Feminism and the Culture of Boredom - Allison Pease wrote:
The ability to sublimate, explored later in this chapter, requires the strength to assert one's own individuality, and to reject the social institutions such as family or religion that impinge on that individuality while at the same time not abandoning the responsibilities that these social institutions impose.

Individuality is good -- to a point.

When games take customization to an extreme, they abandon the very order, direction, and rules that make the game fun and challenging.

It's as if you were told MS-Paint was a game, and draw anything was your objective.

Rather than drawing a tiger or something. Cause at least that would be a challenge.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:

this is why you should always use binary. you get to have a really impressive order of magnitude for even a small number.

and thy: customizing a game doesn't necessarily mean "making the character EXACTLY LIKE ME!!!". customizing means you can make it whatever you want - which might mean making it to explore something that is totally unlike you.

'cause it's a game. and you can play with it.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

either I play as a pony or I play as Melody from HxH. There are no other acceptable options!

she is a badass flute player with excellent hearing

Sadly, the character customization in most games does not allow me to create such a character. I'm not sure why Thy thinks that not letting me play as a balding flutist would make the game more challenging in any meaningful way.

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Don't expect an honest argument out of Thy, he's a pathological dissembler.

this
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

Sadly, the character customization in most games does not allow me to create such a character. I'm not sure why Thy thinks that not letting me play as a balding flutist would make the game more challenging in any meaningful way.

well, if you want to play as a balding flutist, you must actually be a balding flutist, so you like already know everything that can happen to balding flutists.

i personally am not a balding flutist, so i have no idea with what frequency they actually encounter sentient cookies, firefights and space aliens in caves and castles and what-have-you. but since you already have daily dealings with these creatures, why would you want to deal with them as some sort of pixilated version of yourself in a game? instead of as a pixilated heavily-muscled ninja commando viking, like the game wants you to be? DON'T YOU WANT A CHALLENGE??

note: i have never actually played one of these games as anything so i have no idea what you people actually get up to.
Moor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: naturally I'll expect an apology for your rudeness Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
No no no my dear child.

I'm a dear child! Yay!

(And I'm sorry for not responding to any of the other parts of your post. That was the only thing I was actually able to parse in the context of this conversation.)

Also the "draw anything" MS Paint game is a very popular one; I think the most popular Let's Play of it is currently in it's fifth series.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's true, I am actually Melody IRL.

I seek the sheet music for the Sonata of Darkness, a single movement of which disfigured me and killed my friend, so that I may obliterate it such that none may suffer the same fate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 256, 257, 258 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Page 257 of 316

Jump to: