welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video link
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onimaru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Video link Reply with quote

I want everyone to watch this video, if you like Smile , and post your opinions on it.

http://9gag.tv/original/v/3312#select=3312

**Edit** Ha HA! Found the Youtube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4UWxlVvT1A

While I don't believe it's an accurate portrayal of ALL men, I do think it's a very strong example of what women can face when they are stuck dealing with the worst mankind has to offer, and the rest of us do nothing to combat it.

Not to mention the general apathy some of us would dismiss such an act, looking at it from the victim side of things by films end I was genuinely angry at what I was seeing. Why 'he' didn't just step up and knock some of these people out... Then I realized that it wasn't that 'he' didn't, it's that when the roles are reversed, it's not really an option.

The part with the Cop dismissing it as a 'probably didn't happen' just turns your guts, and when he got upset that the Cop was being dismissive it's some how the victims fault for being aggressive/irrational.

The whole BS part where the 'wife' couldn't get out of work, and that the job was more important was sickening to think about as true. That 'she' was tired of the 'masculinist agenda' when the victim had just been sexually abused is monstrous.

Now as I said, I don't think this is a portrayal of all men, many would not be this ignorant or callous in those situations, but the sad fact is, that it is believable that in that very situation a woman could run into one or more of those exact situations is why we desperately need to think about our role when women speak out about something.

Because while many a misogynist will spout that feminists just want to oppress men, the reality is that if we WERE in the position women found themselves in on a daily basis we'd be up in arms about how unacceptable it was, we'd be angry, we'd fight and attack women who spoke and acted towards us the way men do to women on a near constant basis, because we wouldn't like it, we'd be bothered, we'd be disgusted and we'd want to make it stop.

Last edited by Onimaru on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm never going to intentionally click on a link to 9gag (even the dot tv section that I was heretofore unfamiliar with), sorry.
Onimaru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood, the general theme of 9gag is usually less than enlightened, if I knew the name of the French short Film that link showed I'd put the Youtube here.

Or maybe someone who watches it will know how to track it down better than I.

*Edit* And now that I think of it, it's in their NSFW area, so you might even have to have a membership to watch it. Sad I may have to track it down afterall.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plus 9gag's entire business model is blatant plagiarism and art theft so y'know...
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onimaru wrote:
*Edit* And now that I think of it, it's in their NSFW area, so you might even have to have a membership to watch it. Sad I may have to track it down afterall.

So... do you have a membership to a website that's business model is ripping off the work of actual artists?
Onimaru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I go there because I enjoy the occasional funny Kitty GIF, however the legitimacy of 9gag as a public forum for 'original' content is not the point of this thread. I would apprecate it if possible that people could watch the video and give their feelings on seeing things from that perspective. I think it would be a revealing experience for most, especially those that think that what women deal with is 'no big deal'.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But no one can watch it if they need a membership at a sleazy dishonest website. Also, clicking on links usally gives them ad revenue, and I think most here would rather not.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your description, I'm pretty sure I was linked to it once on Youtube (where it also requires an account for content, but Youtube is fine.)

I didn't watch it, and I don't remember what it was called, though... (But it's there...)
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stomping out 9gag is a worthy goal, and I don't really regret the derail. Indeed, 9gag is very near the top of my list of websites that I would delete from the internet if I could. (also on the list: typosquatters and malicious scams)

YouTube is also kind of evil, but not as blatantly so, and they give not being evil as much of a try as any global-scale soulless corporation could ever be expected to. It's in their company motto and everything!

but of course that isn't what this thread is about - it's about a viral video marketing itself as exercise in empathy targeted at the most oblivious of a particular group

which sounds kind of painful, and not in any of the right ways

but

guys,
they already edited the original post and added a youtube link
yesterday
Onimaru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd remove the 9gag link entirely at this point but then all the complaints up to this point would make no sense to anybody coming into the discussion.

Either way, I honestly had no idea 9gag was that reviled, hell I'd expect this kind of hate for 4chan just because, but 9gag just generally struck me as Lazy and greedy, not outright encouragingly evil.

And Rants thank you, you're probably right the level of bluntness this uses may be painful, almost disrespectful in shoving it down your throat, but some people need to be slapped in the face with this kind of thing to realize there's a problem. Honestly I used to think of myself as a pretty decent person, respected women and only really had a problem with things I thought were 'grabs for power' or 'attempts at male oppression' by feminists. My time here has shown me I was just blind and mostly willfully ignorant. I'm by no means a massively better person in my thoughts and actions, I've improved but I know I have a long way to go still.

Video's like the one above might help the ones that refuse to acknowledge the problems if they look at it from the victims perspective for once, even if it is blunt to the point of bludgeoning.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think there are better exercises in empathy for these issues, such as Film Crit Hulk's article on rape culture, even if they haven't gone quite as viral

I'm saying this as someone who hasn't actually watched the video, however

as for the other thing, I approve of 4chan's existence, although it is by no means my preferred imageboard. Wheeee~
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So someone spams a link, then people respond with:
Heretical Rants wrote:
I'm never going to intentionally click on a link to 9gag (even the dot tv section that I was heretofore unfamiliar with), sorry.

ShadowCell wrote:
plus 9gag's entire business model is blatant plagiarism and art theft so y'know...

stripeypants wrote:
But no one can watch it if they need a membership at a sleazy dishonest website. Also, clicking on links usally gives them ad revenue, and I think most here would rather not.

To which this was said:

Onimaru wrote:
I'd remove the 9gag link entirely at this point but then all the complaints up to this point would make no sense to anybody coming into the discussion.

And as we can see, they lied:

Onimaru wrote:
I want everyone to watch this video, if you like Smile , and post your opinions on it.

http://9gag.tv/original/v/3312#select=3312

**Edit** Ha HA! Found the Youtube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4UWxlVvT1A

Yeah, I'm not watching that video at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
eureka00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that video I think just from reading your description. Someone linked it on FB a few weeks ago. You probably could have put this in the feminism thread actually.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good tip: read other threads, someone else may have posted about what you want to post about: http://www.sinfest.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6227&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=3784

The Lesson: Someone might post something I might genuinely want to watch, but if it's presented in a super spammy fashion, then the chances of me checking it out become practically nil.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 'heterophobia' video of the same ilk has been posted on these forums, as well, I think

probably

I never watched that one, either, but it probably changed someone for the better.
maybe multiple someones

Darqcyde wrote:

And as we can see, they lied:

{quote}

.... I'm not seeing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: