welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 257, 258, 259 ... 300, 301, 302  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Yes, it's true, I am actually Melody IRL.

I seek the sheet music for the Sonata of Darkness, a single movement of which disfigured me and killed my friend, so that I may obliterate it such that none may suffer the same fate.

Oh man, that was a wicked awesome castlevania game.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: zing Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Don't expect an honest argument out of Thy, he's a pathological dissembler.

this

K, I'll do the standard lack of evidence ploy, knowing full well that you old men simply don't have the energy to respond anymore.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, Thy, the last time you and Sam got into it about evidence, you "supported" your position by name-dropping a book you'd never read. When Sam called you on it (justified by the book's total disagreement with your position), you invented some sort of conspiracy to whinge about as an excuse to avoid admitting your dishonesty.

I don't think there's much merit in your "willingness to debate" high ground attitude.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about putting this in the MRA thread, but I don't want to dredge that up. Does anyone know why men are 90% of the prison population in the US. That is seriously fucked up. I looked for a little info, but I kinda need a summary if anyone's got any ideas.

I know there is a lot of patriarchy bullshit that leads to women being 'protected' which I'm sure extends to not doling out prison sentences left and right, but I didn't realise the disparity was so high.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I thought about putting this in the MRA thread, but I don't want to dredge that up. Does anyone know why men are 90% of the prison population in the US. That is seriously fucked up. I looked for a little info, but I kinda need a summary if anyone's got any ideas.

I know there is a lot of patriarchy bullshit that leads to women being 'protected' which I'm sure extends to not doling out prison sentences left and right, but I didn't realise the disparity was so high.

According to numbers I got here, women make up ~495 of the those held federally in Canada, whereas there are a total of ~13,758 on any given day, meaning women make up for ~3.5% of the total federal inmate population. And that's after a 10 year period in which men's incarceration went up 6% and women's incercation rate went up 32%.

As far as why it happens... I dunno? The prevalence of gangs (many of which seem to be mostly men) would be one answer, but I'm just guessing.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly a woman of my own heart.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:

So brilliant.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
If I recall correctly, Thy, the last time you and Sam got into it about evidence, you "supported" your position by name-dropping a book you'd never read. When Sam called you on it (justified by the book's total disagreement with your position), you invented some sort of conspiracy to whinge about as an excuse to avoid admitting your dishonesty.

I don't think there's much merit in your "willingness to debate" high ground attitude.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I even checked to make sure.

Sounds like a typical sam poisoned well situation though.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you haven't checked carefully enough.

Don't get it mixed up with the last time you and I had an evidence issue, though, when you "supported" your position by name-dropping a study that you'd never read. And when Dogen and I called you on it (justified by the study's total disagreement with your position), you started demanding that we make your arguments for you.

You are just not reliable when it comes to any kind of claim you make about evidence.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kinda funny, cause I sure as hell remember when I gave Andrew evidence, and he went all the way to the library to rent out the book I told him would contain it.

You know, that extra step needed to completely verify what's in these academic articles which have only semi previews online.

Low and behold, I was completely right.

It's almost as if you read what you want to hear though, cause I'm pretty sure you guys are just reading the abstracts and no further.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you remember a thing that occurred on the forum then surely you can link to it to verify your claim
Sojobo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
It's almost as if you read what you want to hear though, cause I'm pretty sure you guys are just reading the abstracts and no further.

You have this exactly backwards. In both cases you were the one who failed to read the material before citing it. In the case of the book, you dodged the question for pages, but then eventually admitted that you hadn't read it.

In the case of the study, Dogen and I did look through the actual study, which wasn't even about the topic we were discussing. However, what little the study did have to say on topic was actually exactly opposite to your claim. Obviously you hadn't read that one either.

In neither conversation did you demonstrate any understanding that it is wrong to cite sources when you don't know what they say. And that is the point. You are not trustworthy when you make claims about evidence, because you cite sources falsely, and never admit it is wrong to do so, even when you get caught.

But look, I understand, you don't trust me, either. The lucky thing is that you don't need to trust me, you just need to reread the conversations. They both happened (drumroll, please) in this very thread (p121-126 & p166-168). You talk a lot about your personal evolution - maybe the current you has finally developed enough that you can admit you were wrong.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:

I looooooooove this.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

According to numbers I got here, women make up ~495 of the those held federally in Canada, whereas there are a total of ~13,758 on any given day, meaning women make up for ~3.5% of the total federal inmate population. And that's after a 10 year period in which men's incarceration went up 6% and women's incercation rate went up 32%.

As far as why it happens... I dunno? The prevalence of gangs (many of which seem to be mostly men) would be one answer, but I'm just guessing.

gangs and violent crimes in general (murder, rape, assault) - i would guess men are more likely to commit those sorts of crimes. but then i remembered that a large part of the prison population is there for often victimless drug charges. i would not expect a huge difference in drug usage rates between men and women (maybe there is, but there are sure a lot of female users and addicts) - so that would suggest that women do, in fact, get lighter sentences for drug possession.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:

You have this exactly backwards. In both cases you were the one who failed to read the material before citing it. In the case of the book, you dodged the question for pages, but then eventually admitted that you hadn't read it.

In the case of the study, Dogen and I did look through the actual study, which wasn't even about the topic we were discussing. However, what little the study did have to say on topic was actually exactly opposite to your claim. Obviously you hadn't read that one either.

In neither conversation did you demonstrate any understanding that it is wrong to cite sources when you don't know what they say. And that is the point. You are not trustworthy when you make claims about evidence, because you cite sources falsely, and never admit it is wrong to do so, even when you get caught.

But look, I understand, you don't trust me, either. The lucky thing is that you don't need to trust me, you just need to reread the conversations. They both happened (drumroll, please) in this very thread (p121-126 & p166-168). You talk a lot about your personal evolution - maybe the current you has finally developed enough that you can admit you were wrong.

Your understanding of burden of proof is hilarious at best, and the nature of a bet completely eludes you.

I was right on both occasions.

However, you can feel free to admit you were derailing the actual discussion with trivial and irrelevant statements at any time.

Go ahead and tell that to sam or anakin or whoever is putting you up to this, because I'm sure you're being pressured to respond for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 257, 258, 259 ... 300, 301, 302  Next
Page 258 of 302

Jump to: