welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 258, 259, 260 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17397
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:

Go ahead and tell that to sam or anakin or whoever is putting you up to this, because I'm sure you're being pressured to respond for them.


wait....is Thy saying that sam is actually a jedi knight? because that would be so cool.



(of course i always suspected it. he looks too natural with a katana).
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10622
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yeah, this happened: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/05/upskirt-photos-legal-massachusetts_n_4906949.html
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thy Brilliance



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3596
Location: Relative

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:

Go ahead and tell that to sam or anakin or whoever is putting you up to this, because I'm sure you're being pressured to respond for them.


wait....is Thy saying that sam is actually a jedi knight? because that would be so cool.



(of course i always suspected it. he looks too natural with a katana).


Technically Dogen is anakin.

Sam's more of a Count Dooku
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jwing



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 2146

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
So yeah, this happened: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/05/upskirt-photos-legal-massachusetts_n_4906949.html


This is making flames of rage on the side of my face. It is ridiculous to think that someone has the right to stick their camera or cellphone under my skirt and take pictures or videos without my express consent.

I understand that as soon as I step out of stately Wing manor, I have no expectations of privacy. But that (non)expectation is passive. There are surveillance cameras on every corner and in every shop. People are kinnearing and recording their lives and I will be a bit player or extra. That's cool. That's what we expect when we go out in public.

But upskirt videos and pictures are people deliberately invading my space, for the express purpose of violating my space. Most of the thrill of upskirt images is the fact that the women aren't consenting. That is wrong and that judge should have a plethora of people shoving their cameras up his pant legs every time he leaves his chambers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10622
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's truly a pants-on-head stupid interpretation of the law.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6559

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god I heard about the thing in Mass. How vomit worthy.

In unrelated news, trying to read this is making me really extremely irrationally angry and I'm not sure why or if it's completely justified?

I just...

For fucks sake.

Nope. Fuck it, someone stronger than me can slog through that if they want to.
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sojobo



Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Posts: 2444

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Your understanding of burden of proof is hilarious at best, and the nature of a bet completely eludes you.

I was right on both occasions.

However, you can feel free to admit you were derailing the actual discussion with trivial and irrelevant statements at any time.

Go ahead and tell that to sam or anakin or whoever is putting you up to this, because I'm sure you're being pressured to respond for them.

Showing that the study you've cited doesn't say what you claim it says is neither trivial nor irrelevant. It is in fact maximally relevant, by which I mean that literally nothing could be more relevant. Again, your failure to understand this very specific point is why you cannot be trusted with regard to evidence.

But enjoy your blustering. I think you'll end up regretting it later, when you've matured a bit, but no doubt you're having a grand old time with it at the moment.
_________________
"To love deeply in one direction makes us more loving in all others."
- Anne-Sophie Swetchine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17397
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Oh god I heard about the thing in Mass. How vomit worthy.

In unrelated news, trying to read this is making me really extremely irrationally angry and I'm not sure why or if it's completely justified?

I just...

For fucks sake.

Nope. Fuck it, someone stronger than me can slog through that if they want to.


i couldn't figure out what you were talking about at first, but then i read the text below the bingo sheet.

i sorta see his point that it's wrong to flat-out outlaw something because there are contexts in which is could be appropriate and well-done, suiting the story and the character - censoring with too broad a brush can cause problems. what he seems to be missing (and what i know nothing about) is that only a couple of these would ever be used for a male character....and i guess to me, that is the point: females are presented far more frequently in impractical clothing done just to make them look sexy, and which is actually demeaning (do guys feel demeaned if the male characters are all in thong armor?) he makes some passes at promoting inclusivity, but i don't think he really understands what that means yet.

and of course, the bit where the guys says "hey - some good ideas here! i'm gonna use those" doesn't help.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6559

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm angry that he throws game of thrones designs out there like that some how absolves them of being ridiculous. Also angry that he's like "lets solve the problem not the symptoms!" and has absolutely zero actual suggestions for solving the problem.

"But saying “we will never draw these specific things again” basically just gives the sexist mentality more power." This line, in particular, makes no sense to me because it roughly translates to "Refusing to use these extraordinarily sexist tropes and flawed design concepts is actually sexist." which. No.

And then there's totally this "A smart designer could take back “armored gloves and feet but no armor on the midsection”. That could look really cool and imply a totally different fighting technique." Which. YES OKAY SIR WHY DON'T YOU TELL ME ALL ABOUT THESE FIGHTING TECHNIQUES THAT SOUND SO FASCINATING. Oh wait he doesn't have any actual examples of a fighting technique that would require someone to leave all of their important vital organs completely exposed. I can't imagine why.

And then he ends it with " I will (very likely) never design a battle thong, but some day an artist better than me will design an army of men and women in battle thongs and nipple armor, and will handle it with dignity and respect to the characters and the audience, and we’ll thank them for it."

Which.

Shut the fuck up, I have a fucking book of full of pompous artists over the years and their fashion predictions and let me tell you, one of them has a foot drawn with the big toe in the middle because "SYMMETRY IS MOST BEAUTIFULEST" and one of them predicted that the turn of the century fashion would have men in miniskirts because lawl sexism is dead.

Basically what I'm saying is you don't fucking know what the future will hold and I will lay money down that you are wrong because none of those assholes were right either.

And then of course we top it off with Gaider basically being like 'Shhhh he's trying to -respectfully mansplain- to you so don't be too mean when you tell him he's full of shit" which is. Not. Helping.

Okay apparently I'm still really angry about this but i really care about the dragonage series in general and i don't like finding out these guys are kind of being dickheads. to top it all off, nobody fucking said he had to vow to never use any of these designs ever, he's the one that brought that bullshit to the table in the first place. so its like "HMMM Yess a thing making fun of sexist bullshit BUT WAIT i still want to use these super impractical tropes sometimes so obviously i must think of situations in which i could do so guilt free, hmmm, yes good now lets top this off with a reminder that I'm a Very Important Person and totes super experienced so people listen to me. Yesssss." which is like. Wow. I'm glad you're taking this point so seriously by doing your best to undermine the living hell out of it.

((Honestly I think I just needed to vent, which is why I'm posting it here and not actually responding on tumblr. I don't really want to be an asshole to famous people who are, undoubtedly, getting some flack right now. Their posts scream defensive.))
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17397
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's ok - your venting is frequently educational.

yeah, i wasn't really convinced by the "but someday battle thongs and nipple armor will be totally reasonable fighting gear!" i was actually thinking of the discussion of rape jokes, how there are differences between rape jokes that make fun of the victim vs. those that make fun of the rapist, and if you just say "no rape jokes ever!", you miss out on the ones that target the rapist. so i'm willing to accept that there _might_ be sexy-looking armor that makes a point (although not with points - it's hard to believe that there will ever be a fighting style that calls for armor that can shred the wearer all by itself).

i think the thing that got my hackles up was the sense of "red flag because i am an artist and i will not be censored!" - because somehow it seems to make "art" the justification for any stupid thing you do. and no one else can attack what you do, because it's art. but just because something is challenging people's sensibilities, or whatever his reasoning is, doesn't mean it's actually good art. and the fact that i tell you it's not good art doesn't mean that i'm some sort of censor-mad bluenose. if you can't come up with sensible reason for dressing your action heroines like bondage fetishists (which they don't actually seem able to do), then really, all you are doing is drawing bondage porn.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thy Brilliance



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3596
Location: Relative

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
But enjoy your blustering. I think you'll end up regretting it later, when you've matured a bit, but no doubt you're having a grand old time with it at the moment.



Hi hi

There is an alternative possibility.

Could it be that I'm seen as such a threat that you are purposely debasing me in an attempt to gain leverage over an issue which you are not entirely certain about?

Did you even read what I said?

Do you doubt yourself ever?

I attain such confidence in my remarks precisely because I doubt myself constantly.

Is it my fault that you've internalized the issue somehow?

Is asking you to play the devil's advocate such an unreasonable request?



I'm not interested in petty bickering, but you are instigating it, and you have the nerve to call yourself mature.

If you can't trust my remarks, then don't trust my remarks.

Nothing else needs to be said, my words speak for themselves.

I bear no ill will towards anyone and my heart is truly free.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17397
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:

Could it be that I'm seen as such a threat


pretty sure that's not it.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thy Brilliance



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3596
Location: Relative

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you see me mouse?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Arc Tempest



Joined: 28 Jan 2007
Posts: 4922
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
I think I'm angry that he throws game of thrones designs out there like that some how absolves them of being ridiculous.


At the risk of being ignorant straight white guy, I feel like he actually has a point there. Cersei is not Jaime, she will never fight in her armor, it would be purely decorative for the purpose of making her look impressive and regal. Ridiculous as it is for combat (or even moving around), boob plate fits the character's purpose better than real plate.

I haven't seen how they handle armor from Qarth on the show, so I can't really comment on that. Though, from the books Qarth struck me as the sort of place where "proper" armor would give you heat stroke and their own version of armor would be as a status symbol, more akin in purpose to jewelry than to full plate.

No head protection struck me as the one thing that didn't really fit on the list at all. It's actually something Martin touches on in the books with Jaime(? I think?), because regardless of period or even genre, head protection virtually always comes at a cost of decreased range of vision and situational awareness, something just as likely to kill you as an axe to the skull. I mean, hell, the entire Bronn fight in the Eyrie is a big sign neon sign saying "full plate isn't always the best defense."

Most of the bingo sheet is absolutely ridiculous sexist shit. But some of it, in the right circumstance, serving the right purpose for the right character, can have reasonable practical or narrative purpose.
_________________
The older I get, the more certain I become of one thing. True and abiding cynicism is simply a form of cowardice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6559

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't know how to tell you that even the most decorative pointless made-to-be-pretty armor is still really fucking stupid when it is actually a liability to even wear.

Plus I think you missed the part where literally nobody said the stuff on the bingo sheet should never ever be used ever. His entire response, and yours, for that matter, reads like a knee jerk reaction against the very idea that we should maybe at least try to move away from some of that shit. Just a bit.

The bingo card a sarcastic way to point out the sheer scale of a really enormous problem. In theory, it's great that it's even on the radar of people in positions of power because maybe they will actually feel like they need to justify some of those stupid design tropes the next time they use them. You know, maybe. Iiiiif they feel like it.

We're trying to talk big enormous trends and it gets met with polite brush off that 'yeah i guess that's a problem... BUT OH GOD WHAT IF I NEED TO USE IT BECAUSE REEEEEEASONS?!' and then it just spirals into nit-picky derailment. It's frustrating and it's undermining the important point that that someone originally tried to make.

It's not like anybody has anything to worry about. Obviously arbitrarily sexualized armor isn't going anywhere any time soon.
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 258, 259, 260 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Page 259 of 317

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group