welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 260, 261, 262 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that, i think, would be _perfect_. you think it's important to portray people in armor that leaves most of them naked, and threatens the rest of them with pointy bits? fine - put it on the guys, also!

jwing has put up some lovely examples. just use that for your inspiration, artist-guys! (i particularly like the codpiece. i believe codpieces should be as fully exploited in male armor as bras are in female armor).
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone created a machine to make cheap sanitary pads, and it is changing people's lives in India - http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/09/magazine/reaching-my-autistic-son-through-disney.html?_r=0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting article, but it is not the one you meant to post.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or... is it?
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Yeah, which I guess is the whole point of the bingo card to begin with. Like heeeey lets point out some of this ridiculous stuff yeah?

I dunno, feeling pretty pessimistic right now. It'd be nice to think popular designers and artists would walk away from seeing it and actually question some of their choices before perpetuating a bunch of arbitrary bullshit, but it just doesn't feel like much. 'Specially when they're so enthusiastic about dredging up excuses to use it.

Yeah, I think a lot of it is that people make a post hoc rationalization: it's everywhere, so there must be a (good) reason for it. Then they invent one. I know growing up every RPG or fantasy novel that included a picture of a woman had her scantily dressed or wearing ridiculous armor, and it wasn't until my late teens or early 20s that I really considered how ridiculous it was as I became aware of the issues.

I feel pessimistic when I try to talk to guys about this stuff all the time. Every once in a while, though, someone listens...
Him

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Men and women do not have different brains, claims neuroscientist"
Quote:
Prof Rippon points to earlier studies that showed the brains of London black cab drivers physically changed after they had acquired The Knowledge – an encyclopaedic recall of the capital’s streets.

She believes differences in male and female brains are due to similar cultural stimuli. A women’s brain may therefore become ‘wired’ for multi-tasking simply because society expects that of her and so she uses that part of her brain more often. The brain adapts in the same way as a muscle gets larger with extra use.

“What often isn’t picked up on is how plastic and permeable the brain is. It is changing throughout out lifetime

“The world is full of stereotypical attitudes and unconscious bias. It is full of the drip, drip, drip of the gendered environment.”

Prof Rippon believes that gender differences appear early in western societies and are based on traditional stereotypes of how boys and girls should behave and which toys they should play with.

Ennis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading about that on several different sites and all of the comments sections were terrible (even the allegedly liberal ones). Naturally the worst was the Daily Mail though.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
That's an interesting article, but it is not the one you meant to post.

Right, here's the real article:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26260978

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Quote:
Prof Rippon points to earlier studies that showed the brains of London black cab drivers physically changed after they had acquired The Knowledge – an encyclopaedic recall of the capital’s streets.

She believes differences in male and female brains are due to similar cultural stimuli. A women’s brain may therefore become ‘wired’ for multi-tasking simply because society expects that of her and so she uses that part of her brain more often. The brain adapts in the same way as a muscle gets larger with extra use.

“What often isn’t picked up on is how plastic and permeable the brain is. It is changing throughout out lifetime

“The world is full of stereotypical attitudes and unconscious bias. It is full of the drip, drip, drip of the gendered environment.”

Prof Rippon believes that gender differences appear early in western societies and are based on traditional stereotypes of how boys and girls should behave and which toys they should play with.

The comments are smack full of people thinking they know more than scientists and people whose experiences have been x so they can't be y for anyone else ever.
Him

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Him wrote:
Quote:

The comments are smack full of people thinking they know more than scientists and people whose experiences have been x so they can't be y for anyone else ever.
Well, they are readers of the Telegraph after all.
Quote:
Related Articles

Brains of men and women are poles apart
03 Dec 2013

Quiz: how male is your brain?
08 Dec 2013

Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe. We also have that newspaper here (De Telegraaf) and it's often rubbish.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's good to know there is still a paper suitable for lining parakeet cages.
jwing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaaah, there are too many girl cooties for me to take this class; pass me anyway, teacher.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwing wrote:
Waaaah, there are too many girl cooties for me to take this class; pass me anyway, teacher.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Funniest thing I've read all day.

Quote:
Kim claims he was unaware of how poorly he was performing in the class because Professor Trimble handed back assignments during class.

GEE THAT KIND OF HAPPENS WHEN YOU'RE NEVER THERE.

Quote:
“We live in a digital era, why couldn’t she have posted the marks online?” Kim said.

Because people shouldn't get away with never showing up, dipshit.

Quote:
“I believe if you want to attract more males to these courses, you have to work with them. My request for accommodation was reasonable.”

Lazy people never get catered to, bub. Your gender is irrelevant.

I'm going to use this whenever guys claim only women use their gender to yell discrimination.

Brilliant comment:
Quote:
I think it's funny that this man is allegedly really shy and yet he's willing to go to court and sue his teacher because he can't be bothered to show up to class.

Quote:
"I want to study about women without ever having to interact with them. THEN I WILL BE AN EXPERT!!!"

This is every pick up artists line ever.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But can he answer this question: Why didn't you drop the class on the first day?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 260, 261, 262 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 261 of 290

Jump to: