welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sewing and other crafts
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ennis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:

Language is fun! I looked up vest in my dictionary and it said in Britain it's called an undershirt, which seems wrong (unless in Britain an undershirt is not the article worn under a dress shirt).

It's half-correct. Those kind of sleeveless undershirts can also be called vests, but I know at least in Australia we tend to call them "singlets" more often. There are some singlets that are also technically outerwear that surfers and gymbros tend to wear, but I think they look terrible. Some of them even have armholes that go down to the bottom of the ribcage. Awful.
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ennis i was blankly thumbing through this page and i was all like 'man whoever this is looks a lot like ennis' avatar haha' oh it's actually ennis miiiiind bloooooooowN?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wowwwwww
Ennis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
ennis i was blankly thumbing through this page and i was all like 'man whoever this is looks a lot like ennis' avatar haha' oh it's actually ennis miiiiind bloooooooowN?

Hahahaha one of these days I'll have to make a grey waistcoat and wear it over a long white shirt and take a photo. The funny part is, when I drew my avatar I didn't really have that hairstyle (it was longer) but then I changed it and so now I look exactly like it.

(unfortunately I cannot make my mouth disappear for total accuracy though)
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say "that's what photoshop is for" but no please don't, I think the end result would be way too creepy and I don't want to be traumatized every time I see your avatar.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Dogen wrote:

Language is fun! I looked up vest in my dictionary and it said in Britain it's called an undershirt, which seems wrong (unless in Britain an undershirt is not the article worn under a dress shirt).

It's half-correct. Those kind of sleeveless undershirts can also be called vests, but I know at least in Australia we tend to call them "singlets" more often. There are some singlets that are also technically outerwear that surfers and gymbros tend to wear, but I think they look terrible. Some of them even have armholes that go down to the bottom of the ribcage. Awful.

You mean these sleeveless undershirts are called vests? Some people here (like Jockey) call them A-shirts (A for athletic, though no one I've heard calls them athletic shirts). There's a colloquial name that seems just about as common - "wife beater" or just "beater" - that I wish would go away. The one with the giant arm holes is either called a muscle shirt (which is another, related thing) or a cut out muscle shirt (i.e., a muscle shirt that's been altered). Originally made, I think, because some guys don't fit in normal arm holes.

Anyway, I find talking about the variations in naming conventions between cultures to be every bit as interesting as a trip to an art museum, so be warned, I could do this for ages. I was really interested in the one about hats we had a month or so ago in the comic forum... Smile
Echo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, I find talking about the variations in naming conventions between cultures to be every bit as interesting as a trip to an art museum, so be warned, I could do this for ages. I was really interested in the one about hats we had a month or so ago in the comic forum...

Then you might like this...

(Apologies for straying from the subject of crafts)
Ennis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:

You mean these sleeveless undershirts are called vests? Some people here (like Jockey) call them A-shirts (A for athletic, though no one I've heard calls them athletic shirts). There's a colloquial name that seems just about as common - "wife beater" or just "beater" - that I wish would go away. The one with the giant arm holes is either called a muscle shirt (which is another, related thing) or a cut out muscle shirt (i.e., a muscle shirt that's been altered). Originally made, I think, because some guys don't fit in normal arm holes.

Anyway, I find talking about the variations in naming conventions between cultures to be every bit as interesting as a trip to an art museum, so be warned, I could do this for ages. I was really interested in the one about hats we had a month or so ago in the comic forum... Smile

Some of those links didn't work for me, but yeah, very occasionally those sleeveless undershirts are called vests. E.g. Bonds (Australian underwear company) has this section, but for some reason the adult men's section just calls them singlets, or for those other kinds they're still "muscle shirts". Wife beater is an awful name and I don't know why people don't just call them singlets. And that guy in the muscle shirt example of yours looks like a cartoon character.

I think by far the most fun difference between American and Australian English is what each consider "thong" to mean.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Canadians (at least where I lived) used thong to mean the slipper you wear to the beach sometimes, but also the underwear (pants). I don't know if you use it in Australia, but I have to admit fag is probably the one I think is the weirdest (though Brits use both meanings intentionally, I've learned from watching their TV).

I like when things have totally different names, like jumpers/sweaters, lorries/trucks, tannoy/PA systems, etc, because it's direct evidence of the evolution of language over time (as if we needed any). I learned most of my non-US usage of words from watching panel shows like QI and Mock the Week from the UK on youtube, so I don't know how Australian English differs. Thanks for sharing. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: