welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Socrates was a Christian III
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it got out that I was in grad school people started popping up all over Facebook with questions. No one wants advice, though, they want validation. The therapeutic relationship imparts a kind of power in your words, and the people who will pay to see you are more likely to listen... The people who want roadside consults via Facebook have no interest in being told anything, they just want someone to hear what's going on.

I say this even after helping someone decide to leave their husband and go back to school. She was an exception.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I'd known, could have brought a list of things I needed validated when we met up. Now I'll never feel special or correct. :-\

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you're totally doing everything right.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dogen, I have a question of incredible importance for you, since you're in grad school: should I have garlic or pepper with my beans today? Maybe both? I prefer garlic but I haven't had pepper in a while.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up going with garlic.

now please validate my decision
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did one of those things that I realize all too late I shouldn't have done.

I looked up a body issue online. In this instance, swollen lymph nodes after working out. My doctor tells me not to worry, it's fairly normal. He ran blood work to be sure with my family history though.

I forgot his actual explanation though so I googled it and ended up on a weight lifting forum.

Some one told the OP to consult a doctor related to his issue with lymph nodes. His response: "My co pay is $80, I'd rather spend that money on protein supplements. Figured you guys could advise me better anyhow." People agreed.

This is why I hate niche forums.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
I ended up going with garlic.

now please validate my decision

Garlic has a lot of health benefits, but also has antiplatelet effects, so if you ate a ton try not to bleed to death. Very Happy
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that seems like a good reason for vampires to learn to overcome their garlic aversion....
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garlic, grapefruit, and St John's wort are three pretty interesting plants, definitely some of the most interesting that we've studied. Garlic and SJW have a variety of physiological effects, and all three of them interact with a lot of meds/vitamins/supplements (especially SJW and grapefruit). Enough so that we mention them when sending people home with certain meds (calcium supplements, antibiotics, antiepileptics, certain heart meds, antidepressants, over-the-counter pain killers [NSAIDs], etc).
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogenpedia.

That is your new name.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! My plans for world domination are coming along nicely. I've already released my own currency. It's a unique strategy for toppling world governments, I admit.

1. Release new, meme-based currency
2. Become Dear Abby
3. ???
4. Become supreme overlord of the Earth and all its outlying properties (i.e., the moons)
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems as sound as any other strategy employed by global powers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounder than some, actually - at least we get useful nuggets of information while he is preparing to turn us into his slaves.

lotta people just go straight to the "turning people into slaves" part.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: So that's where the name comes from Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
When it got out that I was in grad school people started popping up all over Facebook with questions. No one wants advice, though, they want validation. The therapeutic relationship imparts a kind of power in your words, and the people who will pay to see you are more likely to listen... The people who want roadside consults via Facebook have no interest in being told anything, they just want someone to hear what's going on.

I say this even after helping someone decide to leave their husband and go back to school. She was an exception.

People have you treat them like dogs,.. and they pay you for this service?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Maybe no crash but stolen, effectively hidden, perhaps in Northern Pakistan, like Bin Laden." -- Rupert Murdoch via Twitter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207  Next
Page 203 of 207

Jump to: