welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 749, 750, 751 ... 755, 756, 757  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
i work at walmart now. stockroom. bleh. gotta start somewhere.

Congrats on the job, in all seriousness. It might suck, but having been out of work for this long I can appreciate a job.

I've been applying to retail, grocery, wholesale, etc. along side the places that fit my schooling. Oddly, I'm getting more nibbles from the more technical places. Nibbles, not bites.
eureka00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
i work at walmart now. stockroom. bleh. gotta start somewhere. walmart is weird, though. s'like if North Korea was capitalist. my everything is sore. also i'm fairly sure i am now complicit in some massive economic/social/moral injustice, but then again, being perfectly morally upright and respectable don't appear to pay dem billz.

anyway i got work boots, because the first day on the job i found a gigantic staple in the sole of my normal shoes and i don't want to find any that make their way into my flesh. the boots fit fine and i have inserts for arch support. the second day, the first with the work boots, was fine. today, my left ankle hurts like all fuck. stabbing pain, especially if i have to pivot. feels like something keeps rubbing the bone. spent most of the day limping around the store. it's okay without the boots, and so far my right foot is okay.

so, uh, wtf wat do

Did that ankle hurt when you got up the morning after first day of boots? If so you might just need to break in those boots, not to mention your body is still trying to get used to the work. Put some ice on it at night and keep your feet up. Maybe put some pain relieving muscle rub on it. I worked shipping at a factory for a summer, so I know what walking all day and lifting heavy boxes in uncomfortable steel toe shoes is like. It should ease up once your body gets used to it.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, but thicker socks maybe?
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it didn't hurt at all on Sunday, nor did it hurt Monday morning when i woke up. i thought i just banged it on something or took a bad step, but i can't remember doing that anytime last night.

it feels better now, but it's still kind of sore, so i'm going to wrap it up in heat wraps. my back hurt after the first day so i just wore a heat wrap for that the second day and it was fine.
Mini J

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the job! Same sentiments as Ded. It's funny too, you never know what might help you stumble on to a career.

It took me a long time to start getting used to my uniform and gear, though oddly the work boots were pretty comfortable pretty quick; it's actually the vest and duty belt that I am still struggling with. I did put in those Dr. Scholl's type cushions though, which I think make a difference. Have you tried any sort of insoles like that?

The main problem I am having at work is sore shoulders and wrists from doing the same repetitive motion hundreds of times a day, thousands of times a week. Every day I get sore a little earlier, and it takes a little longer to go away. Any suggestions from anyone would be welcome. I try to alternate arms as much as possible, but there's only so much one can do.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have some blue inserts i got at Sports Chalet a year ago for arch support, since i was having problems with that; once i get my check i might go back and pick up another pair
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Is your left foot slightly smaller than the right? I know with my new short boots, I had pain in my left ankle because the balance of the short heel wasn't very good (kept wobbling even on a flat road) and my left foot is slightly smaller than my right.

Q: Anyone have any advice on easy bride hairstyles? My family keeps yelling about hairdressers but none of them are open in my area on a Monday morning. Maybe with a plastic flower or a tiara.

i'm guessing you don't have a regular stylist (some of them will do weddings on their day off, especially if the bride is a regular). do you have any friends (preferably in the wedding party) who do hair? or even just play with it a lot? (so not necessarily a professional).

personally, i think leaving your hair flowing naturally would look lovely, but it depends on whether your hair actually flows naturally.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mini J wrote:
The main problem I am having at work is sore shoulders and wrists from doing the same repetitive motion hundreds of times a day, thousands of times a week. Every day I get sore a little earlier, and it takes a little longer to go away. Any suggestions from anyone would be welcome. I try to alternate arms as much as possible, but there's only so much one can do.

not an expert, but i think there are exercises you can do to prevent repetitive motion injuries. you are a canadian-type person with health care, right? can you get an appointment with a physical therapist or someone who can suggest exercises? you really want to come up with something before you damage yourself.
eureka00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
it didn't hurt at all on Sunday, nor did it hurt Monday morning when i woke up. i thought i just banged it on something or took a bad step, but i can't remember doing that anytime last night.

it feels better now, but it's still kind of sore, so i'm going to wrap it up in heat wraps. my back hurt after the first day so i just wore a heat wrap for that the second day and it was fine.

Hrm weird, well it might still involve breaking in the boots. Thicker socks could help with support and if they are rubbing somewhere, but the downside is your feet might sweat. Good luck with it. Smile

Mini J, maybe spring for a nice massage every now and then? Very Happy
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was working on a computer for 10 hours a day I had an occupational health person come teach me how to avoid repetitive stress injury. She said to make sure your work area is arranged so you do the least amount of stretching and leaning possible (i.e., for me that meant moving everything closer and raising the monitor to eye level), and then to take a short break every hour or two. Clearly, the situations are different but you might give it a shot.
Mini J

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to give that a shot; sadly, our booths are the least ergonomic design possible; I have to stretch every time in order to reach what people are handing me. The frustrating thing is that both management and the OSH committee had agreed on a new booth design, gotten the funding, everything was ready, but some VP with the agency said he didn't like the design, so he shot the whole thing down. Then promptly left for some other job. 5 years later, still the same old booths. Sigh.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Yinello wrote:

Q: Anyone have any advice on easy bride hairstyles? My family keeps yelling about hairdressers but none of them are open in my area on a Monday morning. Maybe with a plastic flower or a tiara.

i'm guessing you don't have a regular stylist (some of them will do weddings on their day off, especially if the bride is a regular). do you have any friends (preferably in the wedding party) who do hair? or even just play with it a lot? (so not necessarily a professional).

personally, i think leaving your hair flowing naturally would look lovely, but it depends on whether your hair actually flows naturally.

Hmmm I might have to ask around, I know some of my hubby's classmates did something with fashion or whatnot. Thanks for the tip.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm guessing i'll just need to get new shoes, then, because the boots are jacking up my feet, which slows me down and makes my bosses bitch at me
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
i'm guessing i'll just need to get new shoes, then, because the boots are jacking up my feet, which slows me down and makes my bosses bitch at me

Are they cheap boots? I've had some pretty awful boots, but they were usually the ones I bought specifically because they were $20 at the time.

A nice sturdy pair can make all the difference. Not the super expensive name brands always, though they usually are very comfy, but the mid range ones.

Also, those little pads are amazing if you are on your feet all day. Concrete is a bitch to stand on for extended periods of times.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they were $50, and i had no problems with them at all the first day i wore them; the next two days i had stabbing ankle pain that i think was the result of the high ankles on the boots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 749, 750, 751 ... 755, 756, 757  Next
Page 750 of 757

Jump to: