welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 750, 751, 752 ... 755, 756, 757  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is strange.

I'm picturing the traditional brown leather boots here, you might be able to buy a leather conditioner to soften them up.

Failing that, try contacting the manufacturing company for a reimbursement?
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I'm late to the party, but if you went from 0 to 60 with those boots and didn't wear them in slowly first that might be part of the problem. You can fuck up your feet pretty bad that way when you're walking around and working all day.

Basically its best to only wear them for a few hours a day for a while, then work your way into wearing them all day. 'Specially for leather and styles you aren't used to.

Not only is it better on your feet, but it helps wear the boots in more evenly and they tend to fit better over all.
eureka00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh yeah, if you aren't used to high ankle shoes/boots that can be killer. Didn't think of that. Also, what Samsally said...typically leather stuff really needs a good wearing in process. I bet at this point, getting a staple in your foot might be more appealing than working another day in those damn boots. Razz
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for a five-day-long backpacking trip in new unworn cheap boots once!

It hurt so good. I mean, bad. Ouch.

/nah, I was only limping for maybe a third of it, and part of that was a running limp -- y'know, to keep up with people
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
i work at walmart now. stockroom. bleh. gotta start somewhere. walmart is weird, though. s'like if North Korea was capitalist. my everything is sore. also i'm fairly sure i am now complicit in some massive economic/social/moral injustice, but then again, being perfectly morally upright and respectable don't appear to pay dem billz.

anyway i got work boots, because the first day on the job i found a gigantic staple in the sole of my normal shoes and i don't want to find any that make their way into my flesh. the boots fit fine and i have inserts for arch support. the second day, the first with the work boots, was fine. today, my left ankle hurts like all fuck. stabbing pain, especially if i have to pivot. feels like something keeps rubbing the bone. spent most of the day limping around the store. it's okay without the boots, and so far my right foot is okay.

so, uh, wtf wat do

Pay attention to how you move through out your shift, you might be doing a motion that is putting stress on your body and not realizing it. Also stretch lots before and after the shift. If your ankles are hurting, it might be anywhere in your leg or lower back. It could also be while you're crouching down. Crouching in boots can be killer on on the ankles, especially if they aren't broken in.

BEST ADVICE: Keep your abs tight anytime you're lifting or pulling anything. Literately everything you do stockroom wise comes back to this. After a few days/ couple of weeks, it becomes second nature. Keeping your abs tight makes lifting everything easier. It could be some odd way you're standing and not even realizing it.

Also, sporting goods is a booby trap. Some of the heaviest shit in the smallest boxes hides in that department.

Lastly, fuck those cases of washer fluid, those fuckers always break open.

On a side note about boot brands, Dr. Martens are 100% worth it in terms of comfort, and probably the most comfortable work shoes you are going to find, unless you pony up for a custom pair of Redwings. I'd go for a 3-4 hole pair of oxfords: http://www.zappos.com/dr-martens-work-men-oxfords~1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to get a pair of those for the hospital... just as soon as I graduate and have an income again.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does 'friendo' mean in Simlish? I remember hearing it over and over in an earlier version of Sims.

Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like terrible psuedo-spanglish of "friend" to me. Naturally, it's going to carry its own connotations. I think it feels sort of sarcastic, like false familiarity with someone you wouldn't actually call "friend", or like 'pal' in "Look, pal, we don't want no trouble", but of course that depends on context, tone, and actual levels of familiarity.

I've never played Sims, so I don't know what that context was, or whether it has any special meaning there.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
What does 'friendo' mean in Simlish? I remember hearing it over and over in an earlier version of Sims.

not sure if this helps http://learnsimlish.blogspot.com/p/simlish-dictionary.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even know Simlish was an actual thing.

It sounds terrible. I'm even less inclined to play the games than I was before I knew about it.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that link earlier, didn't help.

The Sims people have had pop stars sing songs in Simlish, but it was supposed to be just a gibberish language so thAt it wouldn't be too repetetive during gameplay. So I dunno if there is an actual translation thing or what.

Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I did a bunch of digging yesterday and I couldn't find friendo at all. I meant to mention it sooner but I musta forgot, whoops.

I never really bothered to listen to what they say, but now I might listen closer, lol. Apparently the Simlish in Medieval Sims was designed to sound a little bit more french and it's called Old Simlish, heh.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
I didn't even know Simlish was an actual thing.

It sounds terrible. I'm even less inclined to play the games than I was before I knew about it.

Simlish actually goes back to Sim Copter (still my favorite Sim game) which let you import Sim City 2000 maps and fly a copter around in them doing rescue missions and what not. I remember reading this elsewhere years ago, but according to Wiki:

Quote:
The Sims development team created the unique Simlish language by experimenting with fractured Ukrainian, French, Latin, Finnish, English, Fijian, Cebuano, and Tagalog.

Also, anyone else remember The Strangerhood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slgM2Kwi_d8
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Simlish actually goes back to Sim Copter (still my favorite Sim game) which let you import Sim City 2000 maps and fly a copter around in them doing rescue missions and what not. I remember reading this elsewhere years ago, but according to Wiki:

I played a similar game with a car. Basically you could drive around your town at ludicrous speeds.

For the time it was pretty amazing.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! That's Streets of Sim City.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 750, 751, 752 ... 755, 756, 757  Next
Page 751 of 757

Jump to: