welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NORMAL SIZED BARBIE IS HAPPENING
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: What a beautiful childhood. Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:
If I was going to give my daughter anything to play with, it would be books upon books.

that's what I had when I was a kid

plus, like, batteries to take apart and stuff

I stopped just short of blowing up the attic

ooo, and magnets. Magnets are awesome. And rope! And trees!
*relives childhood* aaaaaaaaaahhhhh

Magnets are indeed awesome.

Especially the powerful neodymium ones that are not meant to be used as toys but you pretty much use them as toys anyway.

Quote:
THESE ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT TOYS AND CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS! KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN!
THESE MAGNETS CAN EASILY CRUSH FINGERS!
WE WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR INJURY OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY THESE POWERFUL MAGNETS. THESE MAGNETS ARE SOLD TO ADULTS ONLY AND REQUIRE
AN ADULT SIGNATURE UPON DELIVERY.

If you really need unbelievably powerful magnets, here they are.
Uses include magnetic steering of nuclear particles in accelerators, levitation devices, magnetic beam amplifiers, scrap iron separators, etc.

Beware - you must think ahead when moving these magnets.
If carrying one into another room, carefully plan the route you will be taking. Sensitive instruments like CRT monitors will be affected in an entire room. Loose metallic objects and other magnets may become airborne and fly at great speed to attach themselves to these magnets. If you get caught in between the two Supermagnets you can be severely injured or killed. These magnets will crush bones in the blink of an eye.
Two of these magnets close together can create an almost unbelievable magnetic field that can be incredibly dangerous.

Two Supermagnets can very easily get out of control, crush fingers and instantly break ribs or even your arm if opposing poles fly at each other.
A small child recently lost his hand when his father left two # 31 supermagnets unattended. The child picked one up and when he approached the other magnet on a nearby table,
it became airborne and obliterated his small hand.

NEVER ALLOW CHILDREN NEAR ANY OF THESE MAGNETS!

POLARITY
The disc Supermagnets are Axially Magnetized (the top & bottom flat faces are the north & south poles).?The poles on Supermagnet #3 are the large 2" x 3" faces on opposite sides.
The 2" sphere is magnetized like the Earth, the top hemisphere is North, the bottom is South.

SHIPPING
We can only ship these magnets by ground UPS - they cannot be shipped via air as it will interfere with the aircraft's navigational equipment. All Supermagnets are packed in either small wooden boxes or with large blocks/panels of Styrofoam in double-wall cardboard boxes to minimize the external magnetic field.

Knowing that my dad trusted me with these things is such a nice feeling.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had legos! Actual basic legos that you could build shit with. Nowadays, good luck just trying to find a basic set.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old-school legos were the best. we also had lincoln logs which were also pretty cool, but legos were way more betterer.

and kids are like cats - they make toys out of whatever is handy. i made a whole herd of horses out of pipecleaners. i could have made dolls out of them too, but i liked horses better.
Desire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the toys I remember playing with most as a child are books, dolls, legos, and cars. And cards, if you consider them toys; I played a lot of card games.

Mouse is right, kids will make up the toys they want out of whatever they have handy. If a child wants to play with a doll, they will create one for themselves, just as a toddler will make a phone out of anything even vaguely in the same shape.

I have never felt animosity towards Barbie or Barbie-like dolls. But then, the majority of dolls I played with as a child were these type of dolls (my sister preferred baby dolls). I also have a doll collection with at least a couple hundred dolls in it, but I'd say 2/3s of it is Barbie and Barbie-type dolls. It has all been in storage the past seven years, so I can only estimate.

I had more then just Barbie dolls though. I had some from other countries that had more realistic proportions (my step-mother was from England so would have them sent to us). I actually tended to use those ones as my favorites. Most of my play though was trying to play out what it would like to be an adult. I suffered a lot of abuse as a child and I suspect that I used my dolls as a way to feel some power in situations by play-acting them as adults. I also read a huge amount as an escape.

As a child, teen, or adult I never really wanted to look like a Barbie, she was disproportionate enough for me to realize it was not realistic. Most of my ideals of female beauty and body awareness came from TV shows and movies. And my step-mother.

All this said though, I am happy to see a more realistically-proportioned fashion doll being made! If I had a daughter, I would definitely buy one for her.

@Samsally There are Barbies who have bendable joints like that and visible joints. There are Barbies who are almost-fully articulated. Doll technology has improved quite a bit since the original Barbies. Very Happy
Desire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
old-school legos were the best. we also had lincoln logs which were also pretty cool, but legos were way more betterer.

and kids are like cats - they make toys out of whatever is handy. i made a whole herd of horses out of pipecleaners. i could have made dolls out of them too, but i liked horses better.

Lincoln Log sets suck now. They are very expensive and include a huge number of the little tiny ones. Evil or Very Mad
JazmynGrey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am incredibly frustrated with the state of legos today... what was wrong with just basic building stuff... granted my kiddo is too little for the little legos yet... but dammit even the duplo sets are in themes when you can find them.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still buy unspecialized legos.

http://www.target.com/p/lego-bricks-and-more-creative-bucket-10662/-/A-15026917?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=15026917&CPNG=Toys&kpid=15026917&LID=34pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=15026917&kpid=15026917&gclid=CjwKEAjwg_afBRD3rpChlqiKt1ESJACwY6NkApQaA-5vaq1motlGbHQDlnAl_p_J_K3_HlVzhLOp0RoCLcrw_wcB

There is also an 'ultimate lego' set that has 405 pieces. But that doesn't sound very ultimate to me.

mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, yeah - the bucket has 607! an ultimate set should at least have more than a bucket.

an ultimate set should have enough legos for you to make a full-sized playhouse. with furniture. and wheels to put it on, and a vehicle to pull it around with.

also: stabling for pipe-cleaner horses.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think an ultimate set should have enough to build an adult sized house.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: