welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
It could just die. Dying is always an option.

Omg I thought you said "I could just die" at first, and I was like "stripey no it's not worth it."

*headdesk*
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember being jealous that my brother got a penknife when he joined the Cubs and I couldn't have one.

Here we mostly have Rainbows, Brownies, Guides for girls and Cubs, Scouts, Rangers for boys. It's not just the UK that does that, right?

...Or wait, was it Beavers, Cubs, Scouts? And then Rangers was mixed-sex?

I knew a girl from primary school who joined the Cubs, so it wasn't gender segregated all the way, but it would depend on your local group. I definitely didn't know any boy Brownie Guides. Funny how it can occasionally be acceptable for girls to do a boy thing but never for boys to do a girl thing.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad the girlscout camp I volunteer at offers:

Stitching/sewing
Arts and Crafts
Archery (even if the original setup of the range on site WAS TERRIFYING and was crafted by someone with no concept of archery safety or "There are things PAST THE TARGETS IF THEY MISS". Our director nearly had an aneurism when she saw it. It's fixed now!)
Fencing
Wilderness survival
Animal teaching
SCIENCE!! (my department),
etc.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
eureka00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother was in scouts and indian guides. He and my Dad both say that Indian Guides was way more fun, but that at a certain age you are kinda done with Indian Guides. He did Scouting for quite awhile. I think he was pretty far along in the progression when he stopped. There is an Indian Princesses group in town now, but when I was younger we didn't have the girl one. But anyways, I wasn't in Girl Scouts either. However, I went camping enough as a young girl with my family that I figure I know enough anyways.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
It could just die. Dying is always an option.

Omg I thought you said "I could just die" at first, and I was like "stripey no it's not worth it."

*headdesk*

Nah, no plans on that anytime soon. I have a goal of becoming a cool cyborg or a file floating around the internets instead - like a very extended animated gif.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transhumanism is my only hope and dream for the future

everything else is just meaningless distractions
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

EVERYONE knows that for our species, as it currently exist, interstellar travel isn't probable; the 'people' who depart earth to travel the stars will not be the 'homo sapiens' we are today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enchantedsleeper wrote:
I remember being jealous that my brother got a penknife when he joined the Cubs and I couldn't have one.

Here we mostly have Rainbows, Brownies, Guides for girls and Cubs, Scouts, Rangers for boys. It's not just the UK that does that, right?

...Or wait, was it Beavers, Cubs, Scouts? And then Rangers was mixed-sex?

I knew a girl from primary school who joined the Cubs, so it wasn't gender segregated all the way, but it would depend on your local group. I definitely didn't know any boy Brownie Guides. Funny how it can occasionally be acceptable for girls to do a boy thing but never for boys to do a girl thing.

as i recall, the scouts have brownies and girl scouts for girls, and cub scouts and boy scouts for boys, and the absolute top scouts get to be eagle scouts (is that just boys? i don't seem to recall seeing any women who lists 'eagle scout' as an achievement, but you see it all the time for men).

there was also a rival group called campfire girls, which i was in for a while because there was a group of those where i lived but apparently no girl scouts (you got these big wooden beads instead of badges, but they were all different shapes so it was really hard to make them into a nice necklace or anything - that rather annoyed me).
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has created a playgroup for gender creative kids, because she couldn't find any such resources for her own child.

http://raisingmyrainbow.com/2014/02/27/introducing-rainbows-at-play/

I'm so happy this exists!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

I don't know about the second part, but same here for the first bit. I am determined to live forever, or at least a lot longer than the current average lifespan. Plus, being trans* I am very interested and invested in the idea of modifying/replacing bodies. Like, I don't see myself ever being happy with my body with the current technologies available. Not hating myself pretty much constantly: likely yes; happy: no.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something can be meaningless in the long run while still being vital to the day-to-day experience
Moor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
something can be meaningless in the long run while still being vital to the day-to-day experience

e.g. Gender, especially to trans* people.
(I have a huge rant locked up about gender and vector spaces and mappings and stuff that I need to get out at some point...)
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, stuff has been happening.

Mozilla Corporation promoted Brendan Eich to the job of CEO. Eich has solid technical chops, having created the Javascript language that basically is the web nowadays.

But it came to light about a year ago that he donated a substantial amount of money to California's Prop 8 campaign back in 2008.

Upon the news of his promotion, at least one app developer announced a boycott of Mozilla. Shortly thereafter, Eich issued a statement which basically didn't apologize for or mention anything about his support for Prop 8. But it did emphasize that Mozilla's own very good internal policies about sexual orientation and diversity will continue to be upheld and that they're even engaging in a new outreach program specifically targeting non-privileged populations. Still, now Mozilla's own employees are speaking out and calling for Eich to step down.

This story's far from over yet.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently too many people fail to understand what the concept of "vetting" truly entails.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross-posting this for relevance: http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2014/03/24/tenn-senate-passes-religious-antidiscrimination-bill/6844351/

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/1-tennessee-passes-bill-allowing-lgbt-students-to-be-bullied-in-the-name-of-religious-freedom/news/2014/03/25/84801

Quote:
The ACLU warns that the bill, SB 1793/HB 1547, “crosses the line from protecting religious freedom into creating systematic imposition of some students’ personal religious viewpoints on other students.”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 26 of 45

Jump to: