welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 782, 783, 784 ... 824, 825, 826  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just leaving this here: http://nypost.com/2014/03/23/germans-seize-cocaine-destined-for-the-vatican/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had tonnes of resources to waste I'd probably send shit like that to the Vatican once in while just for laughs.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
If I had tonnes of resources to waste I'd probably send shit like that to the Vatican once in while just for laughs.

Quote:
Officers at Leipzig airport found 340 grams (12 ounces) of the drug packed into 14 condoms inside a shipment of cushions coming from South America, the paper, reported citing a German customs report. It said the package was simply addressed to the Vatican postal office, meaning any of the Catholic mini-state’s 800 residents could have picked it up.

A quick google search says coke is about $45-50 a gram on average. And that's not even factoring if it's cut or not.

But I do get your point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's also possible that the Vatican was not its final destination simply because it was stopping there.
Him

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Los Angeles Times: Ukraine's threat from within

Quote:
How did such extremists capture key posts in the new Ukrainian government? If Svoboda was only a minority faction in the parliament (and Right Sector just a fringe paramilitary group), and their ideology is not shared by a majority of Ukrainian moderates, then doesn't that mean that Putin is right? That Ukraine's cobbled-together-under-street-pressure new government is indeed unrepresentative, and therefore illegitimate?

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Well, it's also possible that the Vatican was not its final destination simply because it was stopping there.

Exactly! I mean, how many people there have connections in South America . . . oh wait . . .

Nah, just a coincidence, I'm sure, but still at least chuckle worthy.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Don't forget that the Crimean parliament was basically seized by armed gunmen when the official Prime Minister of Crimea was ousted and a new figurehead installed. The electronic votes cast for this (and to set up the re-unification referendum) couldn't be accurately overseen. It wouldn't be inaccurate to say that it took place at gunpoint.

Yet I don't see the US committing to the "security assurances" made in the Budapest Memorandum anytime soon..... So I'll have my doubts.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An asteroid between Saturn and Uranus has its own set of rings, possibly its own moons.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ukrainian Parliament ousts Defense Minister
Quote:
Ukrainian lawmakers on Tuesday dismissed acting Defense Minister Ihor Tenyukh over his handling of the Crimea crisis following Russia's annexation of the Black Sea peninsula.

Parliament voted to appoint Col.-Gen. Mykhailo Koval as his successor. Koval's name was submitted for parliamentary approval by acting President Oleksandr Turchynov.

Ukrainian news agency Ukrinform said Tenyukh had tendered his resignation.

"Knowing that someone does not like what I did as acting defense minister, as well as due to disagreements in the issues that were offered from the first day until present regarding the Autonomous Republic of Crimea ... I ... am handing in my resignation," it quoted him as saying.

Rather interesting, especially since Tenyukh is a member of Svoboda. Also rather interesting:
Oleksander Muzychko of paramilitary Praviy Sektor group is killed in shootout with special forces
Quote:
Special forces shot dead a far-right Ukrainian leader early on Tuesday in an incident which is likely to raise tensions between Kiev's new interim government and restive ultra-nationalist groups.

Oleksander Muzychko – known as Sashko Bily, or Sasha the White – was killed in a shootout in the western city of Rivne, Ukraine's interior ministry said. Police tried to arrest him in a cafe when he opened fire on them, they added.

Muzychko was a prominent member of Praviy Sektor, a far-right paramilitary outfit which took part in the Maidan uprising against the then president, Viktor Yanukovych. The group has no role in government, although its leader Dmytro Yarosh has announced he intends to stand in May's presidential election. His volunteers occupy several buildings in the capital. Russia points to Praviy Sektor as evidence that Yanukovych's overthrow last month was a "fascist coup".

On Tuesday Yarosh demanded that Ukraine's interior minister, Arsen Avakov, resign over the killing. Avakov, however, refused. Unrepentant, he said his ministry would take tough measures against any "armed bandits" – whatever their political orientation – if they threatened public order.

These are good signs. The new government needs to stand up and show that the Rada is in charge, not paramilitary militias.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a note of delicious irony, a Californian senator and top gun control advocate has been arrested for a laundry list of charges, including illegally trafficking firearms.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/26/leland-yee-gun-traffickin_n_5038152.html

Quote:
California state Sen. Leland Yee (D-San Francisco) -- one of the state's strongest advocates for gun control -- was arrested Wednesday on charges that include scheming to defraud citizens of honest services and conspiracy to illegally traffic firearms.

Yee, 65, was seized at his home during a string of raids that capped an FBI public corruption probe. The San Francisco investigation focused on Raymond "Shrimp Boy" Chow, who federal authorities said is the leader of Chee Kung Tong, or CKT, a social organization involved in what an FBI affidavit calls "criminal enterprise." FBI agents discovered during the investigation that Yee and his political consultant, Keith Jackson, 49, were involved with Chow and his associates at CKT, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office.

Yee came in contact with the CKT while raising funds for his 2011 San Francisco mayoral campaign, according to the FBI affidavit. Yee and Jackson asked FBI agents posing as CKT members for donations in excess of the $500 individual donation limit, the affidavit said.

Yee was reportedly at least $70,000 in debt following his defeat in the mayor's race, and needed to settle his accounts to run for California secretary of state in 2014. To do so, Yee agreed to perform "certain official acts" for an undercover FBI agent in exchange for donations, according to the affidavit.

During one exchange, Jackson and Yee arranged a meeting between the FBI agent and an illegal arms dealer to organize the sale of a large number of weapons to be imported through the Port of Newark in New Jersey, the affidavit said. Yee discussed details about the weapons during the meeting, according to the document.

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I read about his arrest the other day, it was only brought up that he supported criminalizing the sales of violent videogames to minors. The update listing some of the charges is much more... serious.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
When I read about his arrest the other day, it was only brought up that he supported criminalizing the sales of violent videogames to minors. The update listing some of the charges is much more... serious.

The way various eastern crime syndicates operate so openly simply fills with morbid fascination: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tong_(organization)
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a pedophile rapist is okay if you're rich enough: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/30/robert-richards-rape_n_5060386.html

Quote:
A Delaware man convicted of raping his three-year-old daughter only faced probation after a state Superior Court judge ruled he "will not fare well" in prison.

In her decision, Judge Jan Jurden suggested Robert H. Richards IV would benefit more from treatment. Richards, who was charged with fourth-degree rape in 2009, is an unemployed heir living off his trust fund. The light sentence has only became public as the result of a subsequent lawsuit filed by his ex-wife, which charges that he penetrated his daughter with his fingers while masturbating, and subsequently assaulted his son as well.

Richards is the great grandson of du Pont family patriarch Irenee du Pont, a chemical baron.

According to the lawsuit filed by Richards' ex-wife, he admitted to assaulting his infant son in addition to his daughter between 2005 and 2007. Richards was initially indicted on two counts of second-degree child rape, felonies that translate to a 10-year mandatory jail sentence per count. He was released on $60,000 bail while awaiting his charges.

Richards hired one of the state's top law firms and was offered a plea deal of one count of fourth-degree rape charges -- which carries no mandatory minimum prison sentencing. He accepted, and admitted to the assault.

No charges were filed against him for what he admitted doing to his son.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why we need a cannon that can shoot people into the sun.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a look at how we've gotten here: http://www.bookforum.com/inprint/021_01/12987
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 782, 783, 784 ... 824, 825, 826  Next
Page 783 of 826

Jump to: