welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apr. 2: Soon...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rune

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comic hasn't needed to show them getting paid more than a handful of times. Tat doesn't tend to show things unless they're immediately relevant. I wouldn't take absence of proof as proof of absence there.

The implication that it was unpaid performance was fairly early on, and 'Nique has exploded to at least local fame since then. Like many things in the comic, it's been a gradual shift.
diagram12345

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
The comic hasn't needed to show them getting paid more than a handful of times. Tat doesn't tend to show things unless they're immediately relevant. I wouldn't take absence of proof as proof of absence there.

The implication that it was unpaid performance was fairly early on, and 'Nique has exploded to at least local fame since then. Like many things in the comic, it's been a gradual shift.

I do think it was implied that 'Nique was popular before she started doing feminist performances, but now her fanbase (most of it, at least), has been shown abandoning her, and she hasn't been shown picking up a new paying fanbase. Slick, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have ever done anything for which he would be paid.

I think that looking too deeply into these things will reveal too many questions, plotholes, and such - ultimately, the characters don't have jobs because it's not a workplace comedy, and thus it's not relevant to explain how they support themselves.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OneHourWorkWeek

I'm guessing the plotline of Squig trying to get a job will be played up only for as long as its funny, and then he will once again be happily buying weed, burgers, and paying rent with no explanation. =)
Rune

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diagram12345 wrote:
I think that looking too deeply into these things will reveal too many questions, plotholes, and such - ultimately, the characters don't have jobs because it's not a workplace comedy, and thus it's not relevant to explain how they support themselves.

I don't think the first part is really too full of holes precisely because it's played with loosely, and I completely agree with the second statement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: