welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Well, stuff has been happening.

Mozilla Corporation promoted Brendan Eich to the job of CEO. Eich has solid technical chops, having created the Javascript language that basically is the web nowadays.

But it came to light about a year ago that he donated a substantial amount of money to California's Prop 8 campaign back in 2008.

Upon the news of his promotion, at least one app developer announced a boycott of Mozilla. Shortly thereafter, Eich issued a statement which basically didn't apologize for or mention anything about his support for Prop 8. But it did emphasize that Mozilla's own very good internal policies about sexual orientation and diversity will continue to be upheld and that they're even engaging in a new outreach program specifically targeting non-privileged populations. Still, now Mozilla's own employees are speaking out and calling for Eich to step down.

This story's far from over yet.

Really well-written essay on it by someone really involved (previously worked, still contributes) with Mozilla: http://tim.dreamwidth.org/1845008.html
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also love that response, especially the second part:

Quote:
As I've said before, if a friend, or someone in my social group, wants me to start fresh because people change, I might be willing to do that: but that's almost never what they actually want. What they mean is that they still want credit for anything good they did for the group, and the sort of social coin that comes with "oh, yeah, Gary, I've known him since we were both teenagers" but with a free pass for anything wrong or stupid they did then. They want the status and pension that goes with "former president" without the baggage of "resigned in disgrace."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what really needs to be addressed here and it just isn't. But the chairwoman of the Mozilla Foundation reiterated that not only will Mozilla's inclusiveness policies be in force, but also that Brendan Eichs never gave any indication to the contrary in his role at the corp and was an active participant in approving and implementing them. So there's that, at least.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not over.
Mozilla released this statement outlining their unequivocal support for LGBT rights and marriage equality.
But it still doesn't address Eich's material support for Prop 8 and other campaigns against equality and it doesn't address the disconnect between Eich's politics and Mozilla's regarding his fit as CEO of the corporation.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can do whatever the hell they want to say, "BUT WE'RE AWESOME." Doesn't fix it. He really just needs to go.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozilla users looking for love won't find it on OkCupid: http://gizmodo.com/why-okcupid-took-a-stand-against-mozillas-anti-gay-ceo-1556185712

I think this may start a trend.

Quote:
Today, most tech companies are polluting the internet with stupid pranks. But there's one brave statement being made on the internet that isn't a dumb joke at all. OKCupid is blocking Mozilla Firefox users from its service with a message encouraging them to use other web browsers. Why? Mozilla's CEO supports anti-gay causes, and as OKCupid founder Christian Rudder told me today, his company won't stand for it.

"April Fools pranks are so fucking lame," Rudder told me this morning. "Let's do something we actually believe in this week." In an interview a few minutes ago, Rudder broke down the company's reasoning for blocking Mozilla when there are so many other companies it could oppose. The reasoning, it turns out, was pretty simple. This was the right thing to do. The resolution might prove more complicated, though—because OKCupid doesn't have a plan.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Moor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the one hand, I'm really glad that they're it's becoming a thing that we're holding companies responsible for implicitly supporting the politics of their high-up officials.

But, like, I wish they'd told Firefox users to go out and say something, rather than switch browsers.
Firefox is important. Firefox is literally the only browser -- and in many cases one of the only pieces of software -- that people use, that in any way tries to or even has an interest in encouraging people to actually understand how it works.

And it's not like the alternatives given are much better? Google, who provides unlimited free food to their employees -- unless you're one of the people serving the food or similar jobs, in which case you're not even allowed to take food home to your kid (whom you're not getting paid enough to feed). Microsoft? Apple?

The reason this is a huge thing is because people feel comfortable talking about it -- with Firefox, if something is wrong, you talk about it, you don't just say "oh, well, I'll switch then", you try and fix it. Which is why this is such a big thing, because they're trying, very loudly, to fix it. But penalizing that sort of open behavior is just pointless, and completely counterproductive.

EDIT: I should clarify -- I don't think they shouldn't have said anything. Rather, they should have encouraged people to file a bug report -- to say, hey, something's wrong: you're not being welcoming or supportive to LGBT people, and that's driving people away from Firefox, or something like that.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is Firefox trying to do to fix it? All I've seen is that they're trying to convince people, "No, really, we're LGBT friendly!" But they still have that guy as head of their company, and they aren't giving any sign that will be changing. The decision to put this guy in charge is the problem, as far as I know.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any helpful resources for writing descriptions about androgynous characters? I am writing an androgynous character, but I haven't done that before.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Does anyone have any helpful resources for writing descriptions about androgynous characters? I am writing an androgynous character, but I haven't done that before.

No but I do draw androgynous characters. Is there a particular kind of androgyny you're going for? How you describe, say, Andrej Pejic is going to be different from how you describe Pat for instance. And it depends on who is describing the character too. Like if it's third person subjective, whoever the subjective character is.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

No but I do draw androgynous characters. Is there a particular kind of androgyny you're going for? How you describe, say, Andrej Pejic is going to be different from how you describe Pat for instance. And it depends on who is describing the character too. Like if it's third person subjective, whoever the subjective character is.

I haven't written androgynous characters per se, but I have written pieces where I've tried to make the character as generic as possible or where their identity had to be kept as revealed as possible. I think it really just takes some practice. I've found the biggest issue is pronoun usage. Make friends with 'they'/'them'/'their' singular.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meet Claudette, An Intersex Sex Worker From Switzerland (NSFW)

Quote:
This is Claudette. Claudette is a husband, a grandfather and an award-winning cyclist. She's also an intersex sex worker. "I’d rather sell my ass than my soul; it’s harder but much cleaner," she told photographer Malika Gaudin Delrieu soon after they met.

Delrieu became enamored with Claudette's story, so much so that she decided to document her life in photographs. She dubbed the stunning series "La Vie en Rose." The images chronicle Claudette's daily life, from eyeing lingerie in a shop window to hugging Andrée, her wife of 52 years and the mother of their three children.

Born with both male and female genitalia, Claudette's parents assigned her a male gender when she was born in Switzerland in 1937, when being male was a clear advantage. Throughout her life, gender has played a major role in Claudette's identity, though not a defining one. "I never felt bad about being hermaphrodite, it’s the others who have a problem with it; not me," Claudette told Delrieu. "...I have always felt like a girl and I lived my life accordingly. I have the sex of the angels, why would I be ashamed of it?"

Full story (NSFW pics): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/01/malika-gaudin-delrieu_n_5063445.html

Claudette is legally a man, has three kids with her wife, yet identifies as a woman. This piece speaks strongly not just about gender identity, but the roles of sex workers as well.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michigan Woman Assaulted After Her Same-Sex Wedding Was Featured on the News
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Brendan Eich stepped down as CEO of Mozilla Corp.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm torn on the whole Brendan Eich thing. This article I guess kinda covers how I feel about the situation.

As usual, don't read the comments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 27 of 45

Jump to: