welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frank Miller's at it again
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amilam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
Does his interpretation leave out the 700 non-Spartans who also stayed to sacrifice themselves?

Quote:
An emperor amasses an army of hundreds of thousands, drawn from two continents, to invade a third continent and conquer a tiny, divided nation. Only a few hundred warriors stand against them. Yet the tiny nation is saved. It sounds like the plot of a preposterous fantasy novel. It is historical fact. In 481-480 B.C., King Xerxes of Persia raised forces in Asia and Africa and invaded Greece with an army so huge that it "drank rivers dry." Then they entered the mountain pass of Thermopylae and encountered 300 determined soldiers from Sparta....
Writer-artist Frank Miller and colorist Lynn Varley retell the battle of Thermopylae in the exciting and moving graphic novel 300. They focus on King Leonidas, the young foot soldier Stelios, and the storyteller Dilios to highlight the Spartans' awe-inspiring toughness and valor. Miller and Varley's art is terrific, as always; the combat scenes are especially powerful. And Miller's writing is his best in years. Read it.

Do not, however, read 300 expecting a strictly accurate history. The Phocians did not "scatter," as Miller describes. His Spartans are mildly homophobic, which is goofy in such a gay society. Miller doesn't say how many Greeks remained for the climactic battle--you'd think 300 Spartans and maybe a dozen others, when there were between 700 and 1,100 Greeks. Herodotus's Histories does not identify the traitor Ephialtes as ugly and hunchbacked, or even as Spartan. 300 establishes a believable connection between Ephialtes's affliction and behavior, but his monstrous appearance, King Xerxes's effeminacy, and the Persians' inexplicable pierced-GenX-African looks make for an eyebrow-raising choice of villain imagery. Nonetheless, 300 is a brilliant dramatization.

So looks like a no
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: XERXXXZXSEES Reply with quote

Yes. Wait. What.

I guess I have to just deal with the Persians being a bunch of scowly, pierced mulattos with forky-looking weapons.

Led by a draggish feller named after 'that thar crazy computer in SS2'
WhupAs101

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything Frank Miller writes is without flaw and holy in every way, and that's just how it is.

I believe in Frank Miller because he told me to.
Amilam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donít want to question divinity, but whatís up with the Quasimodo pretending to be Spartan and the fat guy with 2 drills for arms?
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a big difference between taking a few artistic liberties and raping a history/culture.
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: plus, spartan helmets will now have beer cans Reply with quote

If I've got my Pelo Wars straight, Leonidas got cheapshotted -- look for that to be a likely candidate for historical retcon.

Another thing that usually happens in these cinematic remakes of ancient warfare is that the screenplay writers hate having to work with spears, despite the fact that they render swords nearly useless in combat engagements and were nearly always used. Expect the heroes to lose or break their spears early and often to give excuses for other weapons to come out (re: Troy).
Spanky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of historical accuracy...
Were those zombies? Motherfucking zombies?
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: rurrrh ahhrurrhah mrrasszzda Reply with quote

Well, they didn't call them Xerxes' immortals for nothing: they had the nasty habit of coming back to life.
Funkentelechy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the 300 comic and most anything else Frank's done, but they should not be made into movies. This looks like it will be shit for all the same reasons Sin City was. More horrible acting, horrible direction, and needless, ugly computer graphics? No thanks.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: profound like mordor charges Reply with quote

I actually think it will be emblematic of a type of cinematograpy that's started to appear more often in the post-LOTR world, where you have to have a lot of SUPER PROFOUND MOMENTS in artistic runover, hopefully involving slo-mo and wildly profound music at every possible moment.

I call it "Overdrama." It pairs well with melodrama.
Funkentelechy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I think it's been around a lot longer than LOTR, but otherwise you're completely right. There is 100% probability that 300 will be Overdrama. There is not even a remote chance it won't be.
Spanky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh come on. At least it's melodramatic about war and violence. I'd rather sit through that than those horribly dramatic romantic flicks. Christ, bring on the profound and touching moments when the characters are barely able to escape death and save the world from some evil power. More reasonable than crying over some fictional couple dealing with trivial break-ups and disagreements.
Damn romantic movies!
Uncle Benny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just saw the trailor, goodness gracious its so stylized!

can't wait for it to come out on dvd.
Willem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: profound like mordor charges Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
I actually think it will be emblematic of a type of cinematograpy that's started to appear more often in the post-LOTR world, where you have to have a lot of SUPER PROFOUND MOMENTS in artistic runover, hopefully involving slo-mo and wildly profound music at every possible moment.

I call it "Overdrama." It pairs well with melodrama.

THIS. IS. SPARTA. RAWR!

*twock*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: