welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ennis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please Stop Calling People You Don't Know “Ladies”

All of this.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heheh... I was kind of like the commenters, in that I was afraid I was walking into an article that was going to tell me I'd been unknowingly saying something offensive because I sometimes refer to my friends as ladies, but it turned out that it was just a good article about not gendering people you don't know, which is advice I already try to take!

So, \o/
Ennis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zinnia Jones is the best.

Zinnia Jones wrote:
Nearly 350 trans women have signed a petition rejecting the transphobia of Calpernia Addams and Andrea James. And you know what? It's pissing off all the right people - drag queens slinging slurs around, cis gays who can't let go of the word "sh*male", and everyone who thinks they can talk down to trans women about "free speech". Here's what that tells me: it's working. Let's keep this going - share it, spread it, sign it!
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Zinnia Jones is the best.

Zinnia Jones wrote:
Nearly 350 trans women have signed a petition rejecting the transphobia of Calpernia Addams and Andrea James. And you know what? It's pissing off all the right people - drag queens slinging slurs around, cis gays who can't let go of the word "sh*male", and everyone who thinks they can talk down to trans women about "free speech". Here's what that tells me: it's working. Let's keep this going - share it, spread it, sign it!

I was reading Andrea James's article and the first couple paragraphs were like 'okay this seems reasonable' and then by paragraph 4 it was more like 'WHERE ARE THE BRAKES WE'RE GONNA CRASH'.
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
heheh... I was kind of like the commenters, in that I was afraid I was walking into an article that was going to tell me I'd been unknowingly saying something offensive because I sometimes refer to my friends as ladies, but it turned out that it was just a good article about not gendering people you don't know, which is advice I already try to take!

So, \o/

BUT WHAT IF I USE "LADIES" AS A GENDER-NEUTRAL COLLECTIVE NOUN
Ennis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Dogen wrote:

So, \o/

BUT WHAT IF I USE "LADIES" AS A GENDER-NEUTRAL COLLECTIVE NOUN

Make sure people know this before you use it? Especially if someone like me is there who is accustomed to it being used in a misgendering way?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really it's "guys" that people tend to use as a neutral collective

I've been trying to curtail my use of masculine plurals as neutral collectives, myself, although it's impossible to do that when I need to use spanish or w/e

it's one of the most annoying things about latin-derived languages

SPELLCHECK HILARITY: my spellcheck insists that "latin-derived" should be "slave-driver"

so I think from now on we should refer to the "romance languages" as the "slave-driver languages"
it's far more fitting

fuck latin

I blame Latin for 32% of everything that I hate about English

the Roman Empire didn't fall fast enough
Moor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
fuck latin

I blame Latin for 32% of everything that I hate about English

No! No! Latin is a beautiful language, with pretty poetry and dramatic prose and then there is Catullus! (Suggestion: look up Catullus.)

The only problem is, Latin has suffix-based grammar, and English doesn't. And some dumb old men with a Latin obsession decided that English, a position-based grammared language deriving from Old English and German and maybe some Scandinavian languages, should take grammar and spelling rules from Latin.

So yes, probably actually a lot more than 32% of the problems with English derive from Latin , but that's like blaming rubber in general because a group of old pretentious men decided to throw a rubber ball through your car-language and take the logic out of everything to make it fit their pretentious viewpoint better.
So blame pretentious old people. Not Latin.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually blame them and their ilk for a different 32%

also an intersecting 19%

but the particular set of problems that I think you're referring to is only a fraction of that

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Moor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What parts of English are Latin's fault besides the stuff done by pretentious people?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting news! The US ban on Medicare covering gender confirmation surgery is expected to be lifted in a few weeks!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/evanmcsan/hhs-expected-to-lift-blanket-medicare-ban-on-sex-reassignmen

I have been waiting for this news for months, and omg. I really hope they lift it.

One thing that I think this will do, besides helping poor people in states where there is medicare insurance for the poor, is dismantling the surgery requirements for legal document changes. I'm reasonably sure one of the reasons that those requirements continue to exist is because surgery is financially out of reach for so many people - thus providing an enormous barrier for most people even if they want gender confirmation surgeries. With that barrier stripped away, maybe states will reconsider their identity document requirements.

Very Happy If I can get top surgery, I will need advice on new wardrobe, because I will finally be able to get all the cheap clothes OMG.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Exciting news! The US ban on Medicare covering gender confirmation surgery is expected to be lifted in a few weeks!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/evanmcsan/hhs-expected-to-lift-blanket-medicare-ban-on-sex-reassignmen

I have been waiting for this news for months, and omg. I really hope they lift it.

One thing that I think this will do, besides helping poor people in states where there is medicare insurance for the poor, is dismantling the surgery requirements for legal document changes. I'm reasonably sure one of the reasons that those requirements continue to exist is because surgery is financially out of reach for so many people - thus providing an enormous barrier for most people even if they want gender confirmation surgeries. With that barrier stripped away, maybe states will reconsider their identity document requirements.

Very Happy If I can get top surgery, I will need advice on new wardrobe, because I will finally be able to get all the cheap clothes OMG.

A number of us will be UTTERLY TERRIBLE at providing advice!

/No seriously my fashion sense is apparently stuck in the nineties.
//What can I say, I really, really like the unbuttoned overshirt look.
///IT'S LIKE I HAVE A MINI CAPE.

In all seriousness though that's *FANTASTIC* news and I really hope they lift that too. (I have non-sinfester I'll have to show that to if that goes through, if they're not following it already!))
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Sam was drafted by the St. Louis Rams with the 249th pick in the NFL draft. There were only 256 picks in the draft this year.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orders for Michael Sam jerseys are second only to Johnny Manziel among drafted rookies.

Pretty cool.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that doesn't tend to happen for guys who get picked at the end of the seventh round

and at the risk of sounding corny, i'm glad ESPN and NFLN didn't flinch from showing Michael Sam kissing his boyfriend when he got the news he was drafted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 30 of 43

Jump to: