welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 269, 270, 271 ... 286, 287, 288  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
I don't think HR was actually endorsing the article, but yeah it was painfully horrible to read. I'd say the ratio of sensible statement to bullshit was about 9 to 1, or even less.

HR, please next time pull the relevant quotes and don't make us have to wade through so much shit.

You think there were 9 sensible statements for every piece of BS? Razz

D'oh Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
I don't think HR was actually endorsing the article

you are correct
I was not

Quote:
but yeah it was painfully horrible to read. I'd say the ratio of sensible statement to bullshit was about 9 to 1, or even less.

There might be as many 1 sensible statement to 9 parts bullshit if you are actively trying to see everything in the best light possible. Otherwise, I'd say there were more like three sensible statements in the entire article

Quote:
HR, please next time pull the relevant quotes and don't make us have to wade through so much shit.

but
I did
I pulled the quote that I thought was most relevant

given the subject matter I guess I just assumed everyone would know that it would be shit?
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that this post by John Scalzi on the difference between being sexist and being a sexist (and how the "not all men are sexist" trope doesn't hold any water) was pretty thoughtful.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vox Raucus wrote:
I thought that this post by John Scalzi on the difference between being sexist and being a sexist (and how the "not all men are sexist" trope doesn't hold any water) was pretty thoughtful.

Good post, but damnit, I started reading comments. I stopped at one that went something like "I HAVE THREE GRWON DAUGHTERS, I WILL ALWAYS HELP THEM THEREFORE I CAN NOT BE SEXIST."

People completely missing the point on this sort of thing is sad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Scalzi is pretty damn awesome. Together with Dr. NerdLove I enjoy reading their articles so much.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the number of folks sliding into sinfest bemoaning some of it's new feminist explorations, and nerd-rage exploding over female characters in other communities, I figured this might be good and refreshing:

http://fisitronsflame.tumblr.com/post/83332638536/my-niece-will-play-with-my-transformers-when-my
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, yeah that's pretty awesome, Felgraf.

Also, Yinello, definitely agree.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So. Am I, John Scalzi, sexist, and racist, and other forms of discriminatory? Yup. That stuff got built in, mostly when I was young and/or wasnít paying attention. It happened to you, too. Sorry. But I also try to work against being a sexist, and a racist and other such things, by seeing those things in myself and working to correct them, and to correct them outside of myself as well. Am I work in progress? Yes. Iím not perfect at it, either. I show my ass from time to time. But Iím happy to keep on progressing. Itís a lifetime effort.

Sorry, this is BS.

It trivializes actual racism and sexism.

It is a subtle way of saying that it is all right to be sexist or racist, because "everyone is a little sexist or racist, but we all strive to be better".

Furthermore, he presumes too much.

Namely, about the concept of building a person's thoughts, personality, ideals, and opinions from the ground up.

He is talking about how a child can be corrupted simply by being in certain environments, or traumatized while young.

I need say only this: Once the proper ideals have been instilled in a child by parents that don't lie about or shelter them from the harsh realities of life, that child is incorruptible.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, I really want to live in the fantasy world you describe.

Last edited by Darqcyde on Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the reality where John Scalzi, self admitted sexist/racist, is using the most disingenuous and oldest debate tactic in the book?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post

Last edited by Darqcyde on Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, one where this is true:
Thy Brilliance wrote:
He is talking about how a child can be corrupted simply by being in certain environments, or traumatized while young.

I need say only this: Once the proper ideals have been instilled in a child by parents that don't lie about or shelter them from the harsh realities of life, that child is incorruptible.

That seems like a nice, Disney-esque place to live.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:

This is so clearly wrong that I have a hard time believing you actual believe it. Like, I think you're making this up.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
No, one where this is true:
Thy Brilliance wrote:

That seems like a nice, Disney-esque place to live.

Disney isn't so hardboiled darc.

There are ways to strengthen the mind, body, and soul darc, especially if these techniques are done at an early age.

It is absolutely necessary to teach your kids to question the world, precisely because it is a dangerous place filled with dangerous people.

And not just danger to your body, no.

There are people in this world who will stop at nothing to influence you and your mind on a daily basis.

Being aware of these dangers is important darc.

And most children sadly are not prepared for these dangers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 269, 270, 271 ... 286, 287, 288  Next
Page 270 of 288

Jump to: