welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014/04/15: The Next Level
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Christine also has a game called Digital: A Love Story but I never really checked it out.

I have! Digital: A Love Story is my favourite Visual Novel. And yeah I haven't played all that many, but still, it's amazing. I really recommend it. It's so immersive and atmospheric and you get to be a HACKER and post on BULLETIN BOARDS and it's all RETRO INTERNET sdfghjkkm love it. Plus the story is great. You can download it for free right here.

In fact, if you'll permit a slight plug (but not really because the blog is totally dead) I did a review of it on a blog I used to keep. I also commissioned a guy called Mark, who does reviews of books and TV series and very occasionally games (he's the Mark behind Mark Reads Twilight if anyone here has heard of it) to play it and his impressions are pretty interesting. Slight plot spoilers though.

Moor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES LET'S MAKE THIS A GAME THREAD.

Feminist video games: Twine, somehow, seems to have become a huge medium for trans* women, if you grew up with Choose Your Own Adventure books.

And also trans* woman issues, Dys4ia.

Um... I'm sure there are more I'm just forgetting now...
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Enchanted and Moor!

I shamefully forgot about Magical Diary which looks anime campy as hell but is really deep and features an asexual romance partner. It also tackles issues like manipulation, a school's willingness to overlook criminal activity and family issues. It's pretty damn deep for what looks like a magical girl sim.
Wabi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: More games! Reply with quote

Yinello listed pretty much every game I was going to mention! Hanako Games, the makers of Magical Diary, are pretty consistently feminist in all their games.

Everyone should give Christine Love's work a shot at least once. My personal favourite by her is don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story, which is a free game featuring queer teen drama.

People who are interested in games that explore gender should check out Dierdra Kiai's stuff. Their game Dominique Pamplemousse was nominated for a bunch of IGF awards.

Also, while it's not quite in the same vein as the other games that have been mentioned, right now I'm playing The Cat Lady and loving into tiny pieces. The protagonist is a clinically depressed middle-aged woman, which I don't think I've seen anywhere else, and it passes the Bechdel test in the very first conversation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: