welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 271, 272, 273 ... 315, 316, 317  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least you tri!
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:
You mean the reality where John Scalzi, self admitted sexist/racist, is using the most disingenuous and oldest debate tactic in the book?

and Thy has just demonstrated that he completely missed the point of the blog, i.e. that there is a continuum of degrees of isms, and not everyone is at the most extreme end: scalzi is admitting he is sexist/racist, but is trying hard not to be a sexist or a racist.

along those lines: i wonder how a child would go about equipping himself or herself with a set of parents so pure as to be uncontaminated by any racist/sexist/classist/whateverist threads there might be in their culture.

No mouse, as usual, you miss my point entirely.

I absolutely refuse to accept this moral ambivalence.

You cannot have this continuum you are talking about.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:

This is a nice and clear rejection of reality. In terms of conciseness, I say this is progress.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news, this is about as nauseating as the title implies: Why you shouldn't report sexual harassment

i skimmed, it made me too angry.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
In other news, this is about as nauseating as the title implies: Why you shouldn't report sexual harassment

Read this examination of the author instead. It's far less rage inducing and helps show how Trunk is kinda broken and crazy and overall kinda misses the point on a lot of things-- she's the Thy Brilliance of the business journalism world:
http://www.theweeklings.com/sbotton/2013/05/27/the-lurking-anti-feminist/

And I'm sure no one will go there, but stay the fuck away from her blog. I'm not even gonna post a link to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:

hey Thy

would it be better to save a googolplex people from being administered a shock of 1mA for 0.1 seconds, barely enough to be felt, or to save one person from being outright tortured for fifty years?

Whilst considering the former, keep in mind that no matter how small the disutility of such a shock is on the individual scale, it's being multiplied by 10^10^100.

And if in the situation above it's better to save the one torturee, then if you gradually increase the amount of suffering that is to be inflicted on the googolplex people, then is there some discrete point where it becomes definitively better to save the googolplex than to save the one?
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as my posts are supposedly invisible to thy imma put my money on that you don't get a clear answer to that question and he goes off on some weird moral tangent you have to really work hard to connect to anything here
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/popcorn
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
mouse wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:
You mean the reality where John Scalzi, self admitted sexist/racist, is using the most disingenuous and oldest debate tactic in the book?

and Thy has just demonstrated that he completely missed the point of the blog, i.e. that there is a continuum of degrees of isms, and not everyone is at the most extreme end: scalzi is admitting he is sexist/racist, but is trying hard not to be a sexist or a racist.

along those lines: i wonder how a child would go about equipping himself or herself with a set of parents so pure as to be uncontaminated by any racist/sexist/classist/whateverist threads there might be in their culture.

No mouse, as usual, you miss my point entirely.

um...it's actually the continuum scalzi was talking about. i see your reading comprehension is as good as ever.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Samsally wrote:

Read this examination of the author instead. It's far less rage inducing and helps show how Trunk is kinda broken and crazy and overall kinda misses the point on a lot of things-- she's the Thy Brilliance of the business journalism world:

And I'm sure no one will go there, but stay the fuck away from her blog. I'm not even gonna post a link to it.

Thanks for the warning, staying away from the headache cases.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Penelope Trunks is Effie Trinket from The Hunger Games Reply with quote

For lack of a better comparison, Penelope Trunks is Effie Trinket from The Hunger Games -- she seems to legitimately believe what she says and can't seem to understand why what she says makes people upset.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:

hey Thy

would it be better to save a googolplex people from being administered a shock of 1mA for 0.1 seconds, barely enough to be felt, or to save one person from being outright tortured for fifty years?

Whilst considering the former, keep in mind that no matter how small the disutility of such a shock is on the individual scale, it's being multiplied by 10^10^100.

And if in the situation above it's better to save the one torturee, then if you gradually increase the amount of suffering that is to be inflicted on the googolplex people, then is there some discrete point where it becomes definitively better to save the googolplex than to save the one?

Clearly you're an idiot if you can't save em all.
gg
QED

Moral quandary just got BLOWN THE FUCK OUT.

Try to think outside the box sometime and not follow the rules so much, kk.

PS: read up on your Godel.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Samsally wrote:

Your Ad hominem attacks only make you look bitter for having lost the argument btw.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
as my posts are supposedly invisible to thy imma put my money on that you don't get a clear answer to that question and he goes off on some weird moral tangent you have to really work hard to connect to anything here

he went the HxH route, which was something I considered specifically stipulating against, but someone who goes the HxH route will choose that no matter what you say and refuse to even consider the actual options because thinking about that stuff is painful for them

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
Moor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:

hey Thy

Clearly you're an idiot if you can't save em all.
gg
QED

Moral quandary just got BLOWN THE FUCK OUT.

Try to think outside the box sometime and not follow the rules so much, kk.

PS: read up on your Godel.

... Okay, so I'm gonna snap at this, sorry people.
(a) If you're going to interpret this as a complete and literal hypothetical simulation, why don't you just complain about how 1 googol people are 10^77 times larger than Earth, and so couldn't possibly participate in this without collapsing into a black hole or something.

But that's really not why I'm replying to this so much as (b):
What in the world do you mean by read up on your Godel? Do the fundementals of mathematical logic and axiom systems have anything at all to do with the current situation?
And that, like, isn't a rhetorical question or anything. I'm genuinely curious why you brought him up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 271, 272, 273 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Page 272 of 317

Jump to: