welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 786, 787, 788 ... 815, 816, 817  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
But back on point, my rationale goes like this: Many, if not most, affirmative action plans and legislation are poorly worded. Currently, A bunch of rich old white guys effectively run everything. Once whites become a minority, affirmative action suddenly becomes a tool of oppression.

It wasn't Affirmative Action or anything like it which enabled Apartheid and the white South African dominance.

I might be mistaken, but I think Darq may have been talking about the AA that occurred after the end of Apartheid.
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
The only time Affirmative Action programs kick into promotion of specific minorities is on a case-by-case basis where there is a clear history of discrimination against those minorities (e.g., a company that has consistently excluded women from employment or promotion can be ordered to implement goals or even quotas to turn the situation around), but that is not the general case.

That isn't strictly true. Multiple countries have quotas that must be filled by specific ethnicities. Like South Africa, for example.
The Economist wrote:
One of the accelerators is the award of licences in mining, telecoms and other regulated sectors. If a firm is not sufficiently “empowered”—ie, if too few of its shares and jobs are in black hands—it will not win or retain an operating licence. This is the threat that Dr Ramphele claimed brought Gold Fields to heel. State-backed lenders favour black-owned businesses. State-owned enterprises in transport and energy favour black-owned suppliers.

Various laws add to the pressure. The Employment Equity Act of 1998 obliges biggish firms to try to make their workforces racially “representative”. Those that employ more than 50 people are required to report at least every other year on their progress towards making their staff 75% black, 10% coloured (mixed race), 3% Indian, and so on, at every level from shop floor to boardroom. Failure to show “reasonable” efforts at compliance can result in fines of up to 900,000 rand ($97,000).

Businesses with an annual turnover above 35m rand are also expected to obey a 2003 act which called for “broad-based BEE”. This set targets for black ownership as well as the promotion and training of black workers. Private firms can bolster their empowerment rankings by buying from black-owned suppliers or by helping to set them up.

That would only seem relevant if a US state enacted an affirmative action bill that mirrored that. Have any US states done that?

Affirmative action could be lots of things. But it's not. It's specific things, detailed by specific laws in federal and state legislatures.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
But back on point, my rationale goes like this: Many, if not most, affirmative action plans and legislation are poorly worded. Currently, A bunch of rich old white guys effectively run everything. Once whites become a minority, affirmative action suddenly becomes a tool of oppression.

It wasn't Affirmative Action or anything like it which enabled Apartheid and the white South African dominance.

I might be mistaken, but I think Darq may have been talking about the AA that occurred after the end of Apartheid.
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
The only time Affirmative Action programs kick into promotion of specific minorities is on a case-by-case basis where there is a clear history of discrimination against those minorities (e.g., a company that has consistently excluded women from employment or promotion can be ordered to implement goals or even quotas to turn the situation around), but that is not the general case.

That isn't strictly true. Multiple countries have quotas that must be filled by specific ethnicities. Like South Africa, for example.
The Economist wrote:
One of the accelerators is the award of licences in mining, telecoms and other regulated sectors. If a firm is not sufficiently “empowered”—ie, if too few of its shares and jobs are in black hands—it will not win or retain an operating licence. This is the threat that Dr Ramphele claimed brought Gold Fields to heel. State-backed lenders favour black-owned businesses. State-owned enterprises in transport and energy favour black-owned suppliers.

Various laws add to the pressure. The Employment Equity Act of 1998 obliges biggish firms to try to make their workforces racially “representative”. Those that employ more than 50 people are required to report at least every other year on their progress towards making their staff 75% black, 10% coloured (mixed race), 3% Indian, and so on, at every level from shop floor to boardroom. Failure to show “reasonable” efforts at compliance can result in fines of up to 900,000 rand ($97,000).

Businesses with an annual turnover above 35m rand are also expected to obey a 2003 act which called for “broad-based BEE”. This set targets for black ownership as well as the promotion and training of black workers. Private firms can bolster their empowerment rankings by buying from black-owned suppliers or by helping to set them up.

That would only seem relevant if a US state enacted an affirmative action bill that mirrored that. Have any US states done that?
Affirmative action could be lots of things. But it's not. It's specific things, detailed by specific laws in federal and state legislatures.

Well Wheels didn't specify if he was talking about affirmative action in the US or in just in general. I was just pointing out there is a precedent for quotas being the general case in AA and not the exception, if you're looking at it globally.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are americans. we're not interested in what the rest of the world does.

(but the post that started all this was about a US court decision, on admission policies at the univ. of michigan, so i guess in this case we are justified)
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://globalnews.ca/news/1312655/soccer-fan-in-brazil-killed-after-toilet-thrown-from-stands/

What the heck is it with soccer that brings out such violent tendencies in people and why aren't the others in group keeping in that in check? Sure, I can totally understand you're not going to block some angry guy's path when he wants to smash your head in with a toilet bowl but if you see someone destroying toilets, report that shit asap? (unless someone did and the police wasn't quick enough, my apologies) What idiots in this sphere of existence thinks it's okay to throw around heavy objects?

This kind of shit just pisses me off.

And the dumbshit comments on other news sources. "It's because they are a third world country" if you think hooligans aren't in Germany UK and US you need to get out of your cave more.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the US it's pretty much ever major sport EXCEPT soccer which draws out the hooligans and causes the riots.
Because to make a riot, you need at least three people. Razz
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, in Los Angeles people riot whether the Lakers win or lose.

this is how we know the Lakers are terrible now: nobody is rioting.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
yeah, in Los Angeles people riot whether the Lakers win or lose.

this is how we know the Lakers are terrible now: nobody is rioting.

not true at all because:

A. We're gonna have excellent draft picks this year, which was the plan all along

B. Got rid of the worst coach LAL ever had, the guy forced star players to have too many minutes, resulting in terrible injuries.

C. Most of the Laker fans were going to riot at the clippers games because of the sterling business.

Also it is apparent that you do not enjoy making out with your significant other during a riot.

Chaos and freedom are major turn-ons I'll have you know.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the sterling saga was weird because that's the first time in like forever that anyone's come even remotely close to rioting over the clippers
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was inevitable
Quote:
(Reuters) - Over 100 leading technology companies, including Google Inc, Facebook Inc, Twitter Inc and Amazon.com Inc, have written to U.S. telecom regulators to oppose a new "net neutrality" plan that would regulate how Internet providers manage web traffic.

The letter to Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler and the agency's four commissioners, warning of a "grave threat to the Internet," came amid calls for a delay in a vote on the plan scheduled for May 15.

"Rushing headlong into a rulemaking next week fails to respect the public response to his (Wheeler's) proposal," FCC Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel said on Wednesday in remarks prepared for delivery to an industry meeting. She called for a delay of "at least a month" on Wheeler's plan.

FCC spokesman Neil Grace said Wheeler still intends to put forward his proposals for public comment next week, as planned, as part of a "robust public debate" on the Internet.

Full story: http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/07/us-netneutrality-companies-idUKBREA4615420140507
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're committed to several meters of sea level rise over the next few centuries, including a much higher rate over the 21st century than even the most pessimistic of IPCC predictions. All because some glaciers draining in the Amundsen Sea in Antarctica have destabilized over the last 20 years.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you throw a revolution and no one shows up?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
What happens when you throw a revolution and no one shows up?

Cecil Palmer tells you how disappointed he is in you.

(Have not listened to the latest episode of NIght Vale, still digesting the last one.)

((I'd rather talk about that than the actual nonsense in the article. So ridiculous.))

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of ridiculous nonsense, check out this stuff from the primary debate for Idaho's upcoming gubernatorial election.
Moor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
(Have not listened to the latest episode of NIght Vale, still digesting the last one.)

Digesting last episode won't help you survive this one. Trust me. (and good luck.)

Last edited by Moor on Sun May 18, 2014 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Moor"]
stripeypants wrote:
(Have not listened to the latest episode of NIght Vale, still digesting the last one.)/quote]
Digesting last episode won't help you survive this one. Trust me. (and good luck.)

Sad NOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm actively avoiding spoilers for this, which I almost never do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 786, 787, 788 ... 815, 816, 817  Next
Page 787 of 817

Jump to: