Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2006-10-02 Exactly how fluent is Tat with foreign languages?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: 2006-10-02 Exactly how fluent is Tat with foreign languages? Reply with quote

I've been reading for a while and know Tat is prone to inside jokes, but I have to register and ask :

- Is someone aware that Monique's shorter name has a x-rated meaning in French which makes Fucking 'Nique, to quote today's strip, quite redundant.

Now, there is a strip in which Crimini sits by a pile of books, one with Daumier written on the side. This fella was a leading caricaturist in late 19th century, yet less known than e.g Zola or Vernes. So the interest might come more from the artistics studies.

Yet...

A quick search sisn't give any evidence one way or the other.
PeteMoss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny.. you did a search on Tat... well, you can't find anything about Tat anywhere!

The largest bit of information he has permitted to be made public is the wikipedia article.

He's got a team of super operatives that keeps anything about his persoanl life out of the media. They've probably had to silence a few people that knew too much!

The Secret Order of the Brotherhood of The Clandestine Society of The Black Skull of Illuminated Knowledge of Darkness would not like too much knowledge about their cryptic author to be availble.

Edit to add comic image

notice it says "Tatsuya Ishida has a Posse"
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got me wrong, I did search the forum to see if 'Nique's meaning in French was already talked about.

On the other search subject, let's just say the secret password wasn't that hard to find. But the handshake!, that one was a pain Razz
Straha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if a "handshake" involves insertion of power tools I'd advise against it.
Monique Radevu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly, in a medium size dictionnaire français the entry nippon, -e meaning Japanese, will immediately precede nique which my Oxford discretely defines as fem. a sign of mockery; faire la nique à to mock, to make a derisive gesture at.

I think we can assume there can be a considerable obscene dimension that my edition prefers not to reference. (oo, diplomatically phrased there, Mon!)

My mom & grand-mère nickname me Mon, Monsy, Monocle, Mon-key, ad nauseum
NEVER 'Nique; which settles it; if it weren't obscene, they would.

the Mon-ster(ette)

"Bush fights crimes by making his legal" (kudos to Friend of the Court)
squints

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tat has people that he consults. Knowing all that he does shows an interest in the finer things and he will know people who know things he dosn't. He goes to them for small matters like this nique deal.

That or I am seriously underestimating him.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monique Radevu wrote:
Oddly, in a medium size dictionnaire français the entry nippon, -e meaning Japanese, will immediately precede nique which my Oxford discretely defines as fem. a sign of mockery; faire la nique à to mock, to make a derisive gesture at.

I think we can assume there can be a considerable obscene dimension that my edition prefers not to reference. (oo, diplomatically phrased there, Mon!)

My mom & grand-mère nickname me Mon, Monsy, Monocle, Mon-key, ad nauseum
NEVER 'Nique; which settles it; if it weren't obscene, they would.

the Mon-ster(ette)

Yes, the former meaning of the word is much like thumbing one's nose. It evolved... Embarassed To something like what one do in part with a screwdriver.

Im quite surprised that nippon (or nihon) is used in french for japan, but that's another story.
Semtext

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, usually they say "japon" but other people may prove me wrong.

but, there is a rap crew (from france) that is called NTM, which is short for "nique ta merde" (i don't know how it is spelled, but i guess that way)...i have never figured out what that exactly means, but their rap is phatass shit motherfucker r0xxor. well, they kick ass. or so. still, i don't know what the deal with the name.

and, by the way...."merde" means "shit" or "crap" or whatever you like to call it.
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Monique Radevu"][i]nique[/i] which my Oxford discretely defines as [i]fem.[/i] a sign of mockery[/quote]

Has it occurred to anyone that it may be as simple as that? Perhaps it's a play on "I'm fucking 'Nique", meaning I'm having sex with Nique (from the vulgar verb to fuck), but as we've seen, 'Nique is always feeling lonely and hasn't actually managed to have sex with anyone yet. Hence the mockery. Or maybe I'm just reading waaaaay too much into this.

Incidentally, I signed up just specially to post this :-(
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semtext wrote:
well, usually they say "japon" but other people may prove me wrong.

but, there is a rap crew (from france) that is called NTM, which is short for "nique ta merde" (i don't know how it is spelled, but i guess that way)...i have never figured out what that exactly means, but their rap is phatass shit motherfucker r0xxor. well, they kick ass. or so. still, i don't know what the deal with the name.

and, by the way...."merde" means "shit" or "crap" or whatever you like to call it.

Glad you mentionned it. Found this link
Wiki NTM which does explain not only the acronym (the meaning is slightly diferent from your), but "Nique"'s origin.

Case closed
Semtext

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there you go...i was misled, too. nique ta mère. okay. Very Happy
lynnism

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems to me that tats is really educated. like the themes and allusions to a lot of things in his comic aren't something we learn about in high school. And if you read his resistance notes, he's a really good writer.

and that picture of him on wiki is hot...haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: