welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Today I learned....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know in poor countries they'll keep breastfeeding because they can't afford more food. i know if I ever got kids, I'd stop at the first teeth as well.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breastfeeding to the age of 10 seems excessive, even if you can't afford more food. in any event, mom has to eat to keep making milk, and there is probably a net loss if you have to run food through the mom before it gets to the kids, so more efficient to get them on solid food. i could be wrong.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to sound judgmental, but it's such a differently bizarre way of thinking that I would almost call it alien
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, the only way that could actually pan out is if the mother's digestive system and mammary glands AND the kid's digestive system are all multiplicatively more efficient at processing food than just the kid's digestive system, which only happens if you exclusively have food that the mother can process but the kid can't
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I learned the only food humans can solely subsist on is human breast milk. Anything else, and you'll die a horrible death.

http://www.livescience.com/18161-food.html

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I learned that Tetris or Candy Crush can help people suffering from PTSD:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/heal-your-brain/201203/can-tetris-prevent-ptsd-0

Original paper:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0004153
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three Men and a Baby was directed by Leonard Nimoy Shocked
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Today I learned that Tetris or Candy Crush can help people suffering from PTSD:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/heal-your-brain/201203/can-tetris-prevent-ptsd-0

Original paper:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0004153

It's a neat concept. The problem is getting to someone within the time frame before the memory is consolidated before being encoded into long term storage. It's virtually impossible to plan it, but it may be possible to try with people brought into an ER. It reminds me of how fragile and malleable memory really is.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

today i learned that that stuff i get in my CSA box that i keep guessing is mutant collards or maybe new zealand spinach is in fact broccoli liscia, which is grown just for its leaves.

time to find some new recipes!
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Davey Crockett gun/bomb was the smallest nuclear device ever made. It could be fired by a three-man team from a tripod, or from the back of a jeep. The largest version had a range of 2.5 miles.

Unfortunately, if winds were blowing in the wrong direction the fallout would blow back on the people firing it. It was never used.
San Padrone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I learned how to fully disassemble, clean, and reassemble a PS3 controller because my idiot roommate's idiot kid was allowed to drink soda while playing COD on my PS3 while I was out.

They in turn learned that the wrath of an Italian is never a pleasant thing to incur
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I learned that second-hand smoke kills more than twice as many people as drunk driving in the US annually. And also that some people are still upset about public smoking bans.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

today i learned that apparently the high levels of radioactivity in the Chernobyl exclusion zone has had no discernible negative effects on local wildlife

i also learned that a video titled "Radioactive Wolves" was not in fact a SyFy original movie
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't radiation levels at the site roughly comparable to radiation levels at altitude on a standard passenger jet at this point?

Basically all problems involving radioactivity tend to get exaggerated to a massive degree because radiation is scary to people. Don't eat Pacific tuna, they're radioactive from the Fukushima incident! Never mind that the mercury content is probably what's actually going to hurt you if you eat too many!

The biggest actual problem involving terrestrial radiation is probably lifelong radon inhalation, especially for smokers.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got déjà vu from an imagined situation where I posted about radon and smoking mutually exacerbating each other's contributions to lung cancer and somehow Thy interpreted that as a reason to start yelling at me for not valuing human life properly.

Some small part of me is treating that as though it is an actual memory. I can't tell whether I imagined it before, after, or during that last post.
Huh.

Today I gained an extra data point to support my hypothesis that my memory is incredibly fallible in weird ways that I'm not guaranteed to notice. At least it's good at pattern matching! ... probably.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 15 of 20

Jump to: