welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-05-15: Did You Know Her?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what i was thinking - he remembered her, but he didn't want to admit he knew her - because he didn't come off well in that whole incident. buying a fembot in the first place says he is needy but unable to attract a real woman, then he gets provoked into demonstrating that he really does have a real relationship with this fake woman - and when she becomes real, she runs away from him. and he may have been hurt or embarrassed or angry or all three...but he definitely doesn't look like a secure, in-control guy.

but yes, the glasses totally have to go.
khan

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now shes just somebot that he used to know.

Slick should wear contacts in public. Glasses are for suckers.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potentially, he could mean that he's not sure she's got the same personality she did when he owned her.

I don't think he's ever going to give up the glasses voluntarily. They're his protection against feeling vulnerable, and he's so obsessed with no one getting to him. Lucky for him he's pretty skilled at pushing people away, so now there are even fewer individuals who seem interested in trying to get underneath his armor and free the Silck.

Unless maybe Squigg learns something from this experience and tries to reach Slick. That would be pretty cool.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

true, he's always worn glasses, and seems to feel they protect him - but he hasn't always worn _these_ glasses. these glasses are evil. he needs to get his old glasses back from sleaze.
khan

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Potentially, he could mean that he's not sure she's got the same personality she did when he owned her.

I don't think he's ever going to give up the glasses voluntarily. They're his protection against feeling vulnerable, and he's so obsessed with no one getting to him. Lucky for him he's pretty skilled at pushing people away, so now there are even fewer individuals who seem interested in trying to get underneath his armor and free the Silck.

Unless maybe Squigg learns something from this experience and tries to reach Slick. That would be pretty cool.

i dont think anyone in the sinfestverse has ever wanted to get into slick. even 'easy' era nique wasnt that desperate
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She did try to get him to to take his glasses off, and it seemed to me she did try to get him to open up on a number of occasions - but he was too interested in trying to get her to have sex with him to listen. And she didn't totally stop speaking to him until he decided that being in the 'friends zone' with 'Nique was not okay.

But since that big post where she tried to get him to take the glasses off and he refused till after she was gone, I have just assumed they are always a symbol of him refusing to be vulnerable.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khan wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

i dont think anyone in the sinfestverse has ever wanted to get into slick. even 'easy' era nique wasnt that desperate

She demonstrated on more than one occasion that she was willing to give Slick a try romantically, but he screwed it up.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of the song/poem he wrote for her and then denied was about her.
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing lately that bothers me as far as people referencing Slick and how Tat has been writing him for the last couple years is that there's this articulation of him as someone who doesn't feel, who is shallow in nature.

That's not how he was always written. He was written in a way that demonstrated his inability to communicate his feelings because he had to operate through the dudebro pimp code, but he did have them.
The song for Monique, for example, must have been satisfactory to her because it essentially knocked her off her feet, and then he denied it.
I also found it believable and so did she when he said he'd do anything for her, but then didn't take off his glasses. Nowadays, however, people just talk about him like he is the dudebro, rather than his old character trying to communicate through a dudebro disability.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I say he doesn't feel? I'm pretty sure I've been saying he doesn't have anything going for him and he's become boring as a character because he's stuck. Doesn't mean he doesn't have feelings - just that I don't care about them when people whine about how things should go back to the way they were. He's otherwise not memorable, but the complaints make him annoying.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
She did try to get him to to take his glasses off, and it seemed to me she did try to get him to open up on a number of occasions - but he was too interested in trying to get her to have sex with him to listen. And she didn't totally stop speaking to him until he decided that being in the 'friends zone' with 'Nique was not okay.

But since that big post where she tried to get him to take the glasses off and he refused till after she was gone, I have just assumed they are always a symbol of him refusing to be vulnerable.

I'd hesitate to say that. I dunno now, but back in the day Slick obviously cared about 'Nique in a way that I wouldn't call exactly sexual. A legitimate form of caring. She wasn't just a love interest. She was also a friend and I think he liked that.
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OklahomanSun wrote:
One thing lately that bothers me as far as people referencing Slick and how Tat has been writing him for the last couple years is that there's this articulation of him as someone who doesn't feel, who is shallow in nature.

That's not how he was always written. He was written in a way that demonstrated his inability to communicate his feelings because he had to operate through the dudebro pimp code, but he did have them.
The song for Monique, for example, must have been satisfactory to her because it essentially knocked her off her feet, and then he denied it.
I also found it believable and so did she when he said he'd do anything for her, but then didn't take off his glasses. Nowadays, however, people just talk about him like he is the dudebro, rather than his old character trying to communicate through a dudebro disability.

Which people are you referring to? I know there were some people who were pulling for him to get shot, but as far as I can tell they were a minority. And yeah, I felt it was right to call those people out.

I just want to say you are mostly right about him. The missing link here is that Slick wound up literally stowing away his heart at some point, though it was well after we stopped ever seeing him hang out with Squig and Criminy in a casual way. But you are right that he's something of a tragic character and he's made moreso by both a more upbeat past and how frustratingly simple it would be for him to fix a lot of things. (i.e. "ditch the glasses!")

I'd also agree that just having Slick just serve as the "this is everything that's wrong about the patriarchy!" symbol is kind of a disservice to his character.

(I could go on a larger rambly ramble about how Slick is actually a decent representative for the shifting/confused identity the modern male in the last few decades, but I think that's kinda self-evident. It does dovetail nicely to him ultimately defaulting to seeing price tags as a bottom line in lieu of any other self-direction.)
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

I'd hesitate to say that. I dunno now, but back in the day Slick obviously cared about 'Nique in a way that I wouldn't call exactly sexual. A legitimate form of caring. She wasn't just a love interest. She was also a friend and I think he liked that.

He focused on the sex, though. He did try to do some romantic stuff, but then he just kept trying to hit her up for sex, not taking any hints - which ruined any attempt to give 'Nique flowers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2014-05-15: Did You Know Her? Reply with quote

(a little late in commenting; ehh)

Yes, Slick might have known her...biblically. Or he might not have.

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2013-02-10

I mean, c'mon, let's not kid ourselves, one of the major selling points of a robot "girlfriend" (to the sort of guy who'd buy one in the first place) has to be sex with a "woman" who will be 100% cooperative and uncomplaining. If Tat wants to be coy about that, fine, but that's the main reason a lot of people date to begin with, for sex; not all, maybe not even most, but a lot. It's certainly one of the main reasons that Slick used to want to date Monique.

Give Slick this much, buying a robot for sex is at least less intrusive than his former m.o., which was to ask for sex from almost every random woman he met. Less creepy? Well, that's more subjective, I suppose.
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for some reason thought the previous post would prompt more interest than, well, none. I'll toss it to the top again. If it still goes ignored, I'll let it sink to the bottom.

So, among other things, entering The Reality Zone gave PX a Rachel cut. How random.

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2008-09-07

Interesting expression on her face in Panel 17. I'm not sure what it means.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: