welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1240, 1241, 1242 ... 1244, 1245, 1246  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Goddamn it internet stop ruining even ice cream trucks...just stahp!

Yeah, I was doubtful of the article until I read this:

Quote:
The first and natural inclination, of course, is to assume that the ice cream truck song is simply paying homage to "Turkey in the Straw," but the melody reached the nation only after it was appropriated by traveling blackface minstrel shows. There is simply no divorcing the song from the dozens of decades it was almost exclusively used for coming up with new ways to ridicule, and profit from, black people.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the ice cream trucks around here play 'The Entertainer'. I'd never actually heard 'The Turkey in the Straw' until I looked it up just now.
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have associated 'The Turkey in the Straw' with neither ice cream trucks nor blackface minstrels, and I'd pretty much have to live through it in order for the association to stick. Cultural precedent means little to me with this sort of thing.

my ice cream truck only comes on Fridays (or when disaster strikes)
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, in case any of y'all are wondering, walmart is a shit place to work

like i'm sure it's a great surprise to all of you, but in case you were finding yourself thinking "gee, i wonder if walmart is a shit place to work?" rest assured that it is, in fact, a shit place to work
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The city of Portland loves you. You could move here and live the dream of the 90s... working in a coffee shop, or a bike repair shop, or a bike repair shop that's also a bar, or a bike that's also a coffee shop, or a coffee shop that's also a bar. You know. The dream of the 90s. It could be yours, here in sun-- umm, war-- wait... friendly Portland!
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been informed that what I thought was a decoration was actually a person saran wrapped to a pole.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that sounds like one of those awful weird oldschool wide-access bondage parties, haha
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest though the whole rest of everything about that place was fucking cool as hell. I loved the atmosphere, I felt like looks-wise I fit right in (and even if I hadn't I don't think I woulda been treated much different, there were dudes with like, slacks and button downs dancing and nobody seemed to care). I really adore old school goth ridiculousness and they had that in spades.

I was dancing primarily with 5 other ladies, all of us hot as hell, and like... when we first started a bunch of guys sorta gravitated near us, but when they saw we stuck together and only danced with each other they all just gravitated away to other pursuits instead. One gal from our group got hit on at the bar but as soon as he realized she had a boyfriend he backed off politely. One guy like, applauded the batchelorette when she did a bunch of head banging and it was adorable and then he just politely oozed back into the scenery too.

Nobody was pushy, if you weren't into the bondage and the kinky shit you could easily avoid that room and still have a lot of fun.

Also I met a guy with an adorable snake named Wyrm and the snake gave me little snake kisses on my nose and it was cute as heck. Also I got one of the dancer guys in a kilt to flash us which was hysterical and also masterful since he didn't actually show anything off; I was super impressed.

ANYWAY, this is a really long winded way of saying I had meant to put saran wrap guy in the 'mixed bag' thread instead of this one because the good far outweighed the 'wow i'm uncomfortable with this'.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UGH. Need new brakes. Just spent $600 on my cooling system. It's time to order medical supplies (I order them every 90 days), but the website says I have to wait until August, so I now I have to call and fight with those assholes again. Financial aid is reducing my eligibility for next year by $11,000 because I'm living with family, which is going to make the day to day business of living a bit grueling.

It's been kind of a shit day.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry about that, Dogen. i would try to make you feel better by telling you how much fixing my cooling system cost me, but a) i have succeeding in blocking that out and 2) doesn't help pay _your_ bills, does it?

maybe there's a way you can blame your prescription problems on obamacare. that seems to make a lot of people happy.
Sam

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my girlfriend lost her job and the resulting suicidal spiral of anxiety, panic, depression resulted in an inpatient admission at, literally, mcleans.

she'll be here at least a week longer. I'm finally able to see her again for about an hour today, once i deposit my keys, fob, belt, phone, etc to get access to her ward.

2014 had the stink of a long year on it.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh sam - that is really awful! i hope they are able to help her....but it sounds like she has a deep hole to climb out of.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, Sam. I hope she gets good help.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is giving me unpleasant flashbacks lately.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several poor choices coming to a head all at once . . . I might not be on here for a while . . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1240, 1241, 1242 ... 1244, 1245, 1246  Next
Page 1241 of 1246

Jump to: