welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-05-25: Playback 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Rune wrote:
Even if his feeling of wanting her "fixed" could be interpreted as legitimate concern, his perception of her purpose, the reason for her actions, and therefore what "broken" and "fixed" mean, is really freakin' messed up.

And way too close a parallel to how far too many "benevolent sexists" approach women who are unhappy for whatever reason.

YUP. Well put.

I will spare you all the many many personal rants I have about this running theme in my life.

He cares about his creations acting the way he created them to act. What he created them to do was fulfill a fantasy for paying customers, and to take abuse without complaint of that's what the customers want to do.
If one of his robots is sentient and unhappy, and he actually cared about them, then he could try to do something helpful. Instead, he sent an assassin that he also created out after PX.

And hey, how about his behavior towards Sapphire, the only person I recall him expressing an interest in? He tries to talk to her through bots, and basically says, "YOU LOVE MILTON. YOU JUST DO." He doesn't try to convince her in any way. He doesn't try to gain her affection by being an awesome person. He just demands it, trying to program it into her. Maybe that's him not knowing how to relate to people, but given what he creates and how much he professes to love them, it's worth noting.

Also, I'd like to point out that the drones who got zen-zapped weren't hurting anyone at all. They were actually super peaceful - but the Devil still ordered them to be destroyed. So peaceful 'malfunctioning' doesn't appear to change the punishment for not being a perfect robot. If PX were behaving peacefully and weren't running around with a shotgun, they'd still want her dead. And given Slick's reactions, I feel confident he'd take her to the factory to 'get fixed,' even if she pleaded with him not to. He can't give a shit.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
He cares about his creations acting the way he created them to act. What he created them to do was fulfill a fantasy for paying customers, and to take abuse without complaint of that's what the customers want to do.
If one of his robots is sentient and unhappy, and he actually cared about them, then he could try to do something helpful. Instead, he sent an assassin that he also created out after PX.

And hey, how about his behavior towards Sapphire, the only person I recall him expressing an interest in? He tries to talk to her through bots, and basically says, "YOU LOVE MILTON. YOU JUST DO." He doesn't try to convince her in any way. He doesn't try to gain her affection by being an awesome person. He just demands it, trying to program it into her. Maybe that's him not knowing how to relate to people, but given what he creates and how much he professes to love them, it's worth noting.

Milton sent the assassin droid cause he expected a threat and is a big coward. Now that PX is captured, perhaps Milton will show how much he cares by administering the 'blue pill'. Only with a little twist of logic you'll be able to see the advantages. "Why fight the system? You don't need to fill your life with sadness and pain, let me just wash it all away. You'll go back to what you were before. Happy... Ignorant, but happy."

Also, I'm not sure how much worth it is characterising someone based on comics where his bluntness and ignorance of flirting are essentially the punchline.

He is a cog in the machine that's Deviltech, I wonder what the influence will be of these revelations. Will he show his true colours, wether it's intentionally malicious, or simply ignorant to the truth.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not just going on what I've seen of him (And yeah, he isn't much more than a punchline.) I'm going with what I've seen of devil society. Everyone is disposable and has a specific value. Even if Milton were a great guy before going in, there's no reason for him to have gotten as far up in the hierarchy as he has without buying into that mindset. He hasn't done anything to show that he isn't like that, either.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I just can't imagine devil-corp workers being anything other then punch-clock villains who would be perfectly normal and likeable, were it not for their less the moral employer.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've seen some of them be assholes, like the two guys who pick on Li'l E, and that one guy who goes to the bomf district.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:
The question I have even more than the unloaded gun -- why isn't AssassinBot exploding in there? Like, how was that not a really significant life event?

Well, we see the aftermath of it with Pix's attempted suicide. Admittedly, it's odd that we get three panels devoted to Li'l E and Tange rescuing Pix afterwards, and only one devoted to Assassin-bot. Maybe it hints that Pix has repressed some of what happened and what she saw... or maybe it just fitted with Tats' desired pacing better.

mouse

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onimaru wrote:
But that's just it, Slick wanted to 'Fix' her as if she had no right or reason to be feeling angry, he didn't try to understand, or even care for a goddamned minute WHY she was angry enough to do it in the first place.

Sure if she was just walking around shooting at random one might believe she's 'broken' and not acting with a rational mind. But she put forth very specific questions to him, looking for his replies, his feelings about what he, and others, do in regards to Fembots and he just gives the same 'I'm on your side' tripe he always does, AFTER saying he can make her 'right' again because her anger at men who buy Fembots has to be a malfunction not a feeling, Right?

Sure rampaging with a shotgun isn't Good Behavior, but it's damn justifiable when you're planning on fighting what you see as enslavement, death and abuse of your 'family'.

remember, slick is still wearing sleaze's glasses, and seems therefore to be seeing the world through sleaze's eyes. and reacting to it as sleaze would.

those glasses seem to be eating his brain. now i really want him to meet up with 'nique, since she may be the only one fashion-conscious enough to ask him why he got new shades.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: