welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-05-21: Great Day For Devil Tech
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, they'd be totally unambiguously wrong. The EU is jam-packed with a seriously wanky and juvenile continuity overload of canon from books and comics all through the 80's and 90's. some of it is so bad it defies belief.

Removing the EU from official canon was absolutely the most important and best thing they could have done for the upcoming movies and that's just, well, the way it is!
Sam

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Tea wrote:
I cannot for the life of me understand what people see in Game of Thrones. I mean, I'm sure it has interesting drama and complexity and all that, but isn't life shitty enough without us wanting all our fantasy world escapism to be even more unbelievably shitty?

here's my best guess:

Quote:
Lois Griffin: We're gonna get pulverized out here!
Peter Griffin: Look, we got four or five of the main characters on this ship. I think we'll be fine.

our popular entertainment, anything greenlighted for high-level treatment like a TV miniseries or a movie, is usually so steeped in this soporific bubble of safety for lots of the main characters. GoT breaks from the mold and makes you really wonder and guess whether a character is, at any given point, going to die or not, because the author behind the whole thing seems to give no or few characters any real immunity to harm. Red Wedding is something that would have never happened in nearly any other show. More is at stake, and triumph against harm, where it happens, is actually thrilling in a way it wouldn't be before (since you're kind of habituated to expect that there are certain characters who won't die)
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sam I still see "OMG who's gonna die next?!" as a really shallow form of engagement for entertainment to have, but I definitely do see your point. It's hard to take drama as seriously if you know what's going to happen, even if the how of it isn't clear.
Sam

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it's not so much about the morbid side of it wherein you're engaged primarily to see who dies, but rather that we've become used to a status quo where the potential power of drama and action is undercut by the fact that on some level we're just aware that nothing's really at risk for the characters, they will obviously survive, they wouldn't kill the kid, they wouldn't kill the big name actor, etc

suddenly, none of the stories you are watching are guaranteed any trope-based safety; death is a very real possibility, so you are on the edge of your seat when they're in danger and have something to really narratively celebrate when they've lived.
khan

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as someone that read nearly all of the sw novels (other than the kiddie jedi books) until the Vong thing started, and as someone who played many of the more core computer games (Rebellion REALLY is rough if you cant figure out how to send team missions), and played Deciphers SWCCG a great deal (pretty much its entire run, but bought little of the last expansions), i noticed very few if any significant cannon failures. I wasnt very impressed with some things in the Special Editions, but my first truly biggish contradiction i noticed was in Attack Of The Clones... the Death Star bit. Poor Bevel! I did find inconsistencies in behavior, and some bad stories, but very little true contradictions.

As i mentioned though, i certainly have issues with the eu, but mainly because it seemed to me to be churning out progressively more, well, crap. Because sw fans will still buy it.

Now, i readily believe any comics would have glaring issues (comics are ALWAYS bad for this, hence restarting universes), but the eu wasnt really shit. A movie based on some of rogue squadrons probably would have worked, for example, or Thrawn from the Zahn books. Shadows of the Empire could have been a movie.

all told, im pretty okay with nuking if they do something good in the new movies, im fine with it.
Sam

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man, mind if i export that to my thread?
khan

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free, i posted there just now.
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While talking about Star Wars the other day and looking into the 25,000 Star Destroyers canon, I came across this.

He may be a bit obsessive, but damn, those are some nice models.

http://www.stardestroyerproject.com/Pages/SSDx4.aspx
mouse

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

- Love triangles where everyone is way fucking high strung about monogamy. It's important to some people, but holy shit is that boring when it's like every romance-related film ever made. (This is why I stopped listening to musicals; Someone turned "The Secret Garden" into a love triangle, and while the music was good, omfg I can't stand that this is a go to plot device.)

wait - is this the book about the little kids who learn to get over themselves by playing in the open air? how do you make a love triangle out of that? why would you need to?

i personally am getting bored by musicals because it seems that _everything_ has to be turned into a musical. even if you have to force the music into the story. not everything requires music.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Tea wrote:

I cannot for the life of me understand what people see in Game of Thrones.

at this point, a lot of why i am hanging in is because i want to see various awful people suffer awful deaths.

also: tyrion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: