welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014/Jun/06 - Devil Tech 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hekateras

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baronskippy wrote:

I'd bet if I looked at all your precious comment's 90% of them would be some shitty infantile retort like the one you gave me but I wont cause aside from these posts I'm making you have no importance to me.

Maybe if you'd made your intro in this thread with something more mature and respectful than sarcasm, mockery, and painting the people here as being more obsessed with women's rights than fundamental evillll in a strawman you pulled out of a hat, you'd get the treatment you apparently wish for.

Do unto others as you wish they'd do unto you, and all that jazz.
Ennis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything you're saying Hekateras, but I'm pretty sure the "torturing helpless souls" doesn't refer to Milton, but rather the hands she used to stab in the flaming pit.

Also congrats skippy, I think you've overtaken OKsun as most likely recipient of the prestigious "worst newbie of 2014" award! *pops party popper*
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like nachos with olives!
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 'STOP MAKING FUN OF MILTON' parade is very odd. Is this the next big thing that is going to draw people out of the woodwork and entice them to run the horrific secret gauntlet required to make accounts and join the Fest? It seems like a couple of new people have come in since this started.

Milton's a creep.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A certain class of person gets super defensive when they have 'socially awkward' taken away from them as an excuse to be a creep.

Thing is, though, there's such a huge difference between someone who actually is socially awkward and accidentally oversteps bounds, then freaks out about it and tries to do better next time... and people who systematically push boundaries to see how far they can get, then use 'socially awkward' as an excuse to make people forgive them when they get called out on it. (Doctor Nerdlove goes into it here.)

I'm not talking about Milton specifically because ugh I do not want to get into another fucking argument about Milton... but anyway, I think this is where the recent influx is coming from.

The latter are not doing the former any favors, at any rate.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mentioned I can't use Social Anxiety forums, which would probably be really helpful, because of the bullshit they are full of. To sum up, one guy will post trying to figure out, "Wtf am I doing that gets me labeled creepy? Here is all the details."
The replies are usually an onslaught of "Women are bitches, man. It's just how they are!" and "Women don't want a nice guy." and "Don't try to understand women. You just can't, and you are shit out of luck."

So basically, it's guys who have no social skills asking for help (and doing it in an annoying sexist way, usually). And these questions are being answered by other guys who have no social skills, but have concluded that all women are horrible, possibly evil, and hate them for no reason.

The most ironic thing is when these guys complain that women they don't know are not comfortable having a stranger like this person come up to them to talk. They can't conceive of the fact that women can have social anxiety too, and maybe that's what's up. I mean, there are a million other reasons too, but this one never seems to occur.

Not that I think that Milton has social anxiety. But even in the worst of socially awkward situations, that creep factor is something that I'm not going to ignore.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to be perfectly clear about something:

If you see yourself in Milton, then PLEASE STOP SEEING YOURSELF IN MILTON.

Jesus Christ, I had no idea that was what people were on about. I had a hunch, but now that Samsally brought it up it seems clear as day.

PLEASE STOP SEEING YOURSELF IN MILTON.

If you have even one iota of self-awareness YOU ARE NOT MILTON. You're trying to improve, most of the devil people in this comic revel in their own sin. That's a major difference.

If you're just socially awkward or struggle to talk to women you're attracted to YOU ARE NOT MILTON. You just haven't gained enough experience or confidence and it's even possible you're not used to seeing women as human beings. That can sort itself out in time and I'll even say it's not your fault for internalizing female objectification. It only becomes your fault if after being made aware you don't try to improve.

If you have a crush on a coworker and it makes you sputter or makes it difficult to communicate YOU ARE NOT MILTON. You're just inexperienced in grappling with your own feelings and struggle communicating more generally. This is not a fault in and of itself. You're only Milton if you don't even bother to care about whether the other party is comfortable (hint: don't stare at her boobs) or overreact to their faces in reading even basic communiques as interest in you.

PLEASE STOP SEEING YOURSELF IN MILTON.

IF YOU ARE MILTON THEN PLEASE STOP BEING MILTON NOW. NO ONE WILL JUDGE YOU EXCEPT MAYBE YOURSELF YEARS LATER. BUT EVEN THEN NO ONE ELSE WILL CARE.

WHERE THE FUCK DID I PUT MY BROKEN CAPS LOCK KEY.

Last edited by Midnight Tea on Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I've mentioned I can't use Social Anxiety forums, which would probably be really helpful, because of the bullshit they are full of. To sum up, one guy will post trying to figure out, "Wtf am I doing that gets me labeled creepy? Here is all the details."
The replies are usually an onslaught of "Women are bitches, man. It's just how they are!" and "Women don't want a nice guy." and "Don't try to understand women. You just can't, and you are shit out of luck."

So basically, it's guys who have no social skills asking for help (and doing it in an annoying sexist way, usually). And these questions are being answered by other guys who have no social skills, but have concluded that all women are horrible, possibly evil, and hate them for no reason.

The most ironic thing is when these guys complain that women they don't know are not comfortable having a stranger like this person come up to them to talk. They can't conceive of the fact that women can have social anxiety too, and maybe that's what's up. I mean, there are a million other reasons too, but this one never seems to occur.

Not that I think that Milton has social anxiety. But even in the worst of socially awkward situations, that creep factor is something that I'm not going to ignore.

Yeah and I have no idea what to do about that kind of thing, you know? It's not -always- bad for like-minded people to be able to find each other, but it also makes room for exactly that kind of breeding ground for super toxic ideals that are actually really dangerous.

Blergh.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for anything to be done about it, there needs to be more resources for people to gain the skills and other stuff they need to be social. You personally can't fix it, because it's hard to even know that's the problem and what to do about it.

It's just toxic reinforcement doing what it does best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HereticalRants™ Guide to Social Skills

Social skills are easy! Just run up to someone, scream in their face, tweak their nose, and then run away flapping your arms and making airplane noises.
This will teach you many skills, such as respect for others' personal space. Plus, it's a great icebreaker at parties!
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MerchManDan(copyright) Guide to Antisocial Skills:

I am a pile of shit and the people around me are flies, buzzing and getting in my face and buzzing and talking about things I can't bring myself to give a fuck about and buzzing and I DON'T CARE LEAVE ME ALONE I WILL SLAP YOU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: