welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The GOP and friends
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun fact: the FBI investigated one of the 2 bombers for alleged links to extremists like, two years ago. And they didn't find anything.

So yeah, fat chance that any immigration official is going to be able to find a link if the FBI themselves can't even find one.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57580534/fbi-interviewed-dead-boston-bombing-suspect-years-ago/

I'm just going to ignore the newspapers for the next week or so because I predict nothing except rampant sensationalism, speculation, and idiotic politicians coming out of the woodwork to try to turn this into a policymaker.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Republican NY senator apparently endorses torturing the kid.
Twenty-Fifth Night

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Republican NY senator apparently endorses torturing the kid.

"Scumbag #2 in custody..."

Scumbag #3 is still at large. It is believed that he may in fact be a senator.
CTrees

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the updates last week what with all the excitement of things blowing up, but holy shit Mark Sanford: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/04/22/1203972/-Elizabeth-Colbert-Busch-s-lead-over-Mark-Sanford-grows-in-South-Carolina-special-election
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Fun fact: the FBI investigated one of the 2 bombers for alleged links to extremists like, two years ago. And they didn't find anything.

So yeah, fat chance that any immigration official is going to be able to find a link if the FBI themselves can't even find one.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57580534/fbi-interviewed-dead-boston-bombing-suspect-years-ago/

I'm just going to ignore the newspapers for the next week or so because I predict nothing except rampant sensationalism, speculation, and idiotic politicians coming out of the woodwork to try to turn this into a policymaker.

Quote:
The FBI is likely to have run a background check, running his name through all the relevant databases, including those of other agencies, checking on his communications and all of his overseas travel. Miller reports that culminated in a sit-down interview where they probably asked him a lot of questions about his life, his contacts, his surroundings. All of this was then written in a report and sent it to the requesting government.

This is an issue they've had in the past. They interviewed Carlos Bledsoe in Little Rock, Ark., before he shot up an Army recruiting station in 2009. They were also looking into Major Hasan Nadal before the Fort Hood shootings.

this kinda makes me wonder if being subjected to an extensive fbi interrogation doesn't maybe help push someone who may already have some issues over the line...

oh, and by the way, lindsey graham totally understands that tsarnaev can't be subject to a military tribunal because he is an american citizen - he just doesn't think that should entitle him to having a lawyer present during questioning. apparently the senator feels that the number of rights you are entitled to is dependent on how serious a crime you are charged with.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this story seemed fucked up . . .

Then I noticed the author http://news.yahoo.com/problem-isnt-just-illegal-immigration-legal-immigration-too-000049667.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoiler alert: It's Sam!
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, that would be in comic form.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really need to revive this thread because I don't think these things are always appropriate for the Socrates Was A Christian one.

Anyhoozles, ಠ_ಠ

also, wat
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
wat

Quote:
“That goes against some parts of libertarianism, I realize, and I’m largely libertarian”
Quote:
"I look forward to applying Biblical principles to Oklahoma law," Esk writes on his website.

Goddamnit what in the fuck are you doing
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oaklahoma sure is paradise on earth. Or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is an interesting sort of place - they actually passed an amendment saying sharia law can't be used as a basis of legislation in the state. there's religious law and religious law, i guess.

but i don't think esk is actually going to make it into the legislature any time soon:
Quote:
Esk wants to make divorce more difficult as well. He's calling for jury trials for divorce cases and an end to no-fault proceedings.

"I also don’t buy into the notion that it’s unfair to make somebody stay in a marriage he’s unhappy with," Esk wrote.

since OK has some of the highest divorce rates in the country. i'm guessing a lot of oklahomans won't really take kindly to someone making that harder.

still - a public trial in the case of his own divorce might have been...enlightening:
Quote:
Frivolous divorce raised its ugly head in the Esk home, and I am still trying to reconcile with Pam, considering that to be our only option from my understanding of the Bible on marriage and divorce.

one can only imagine what Pam went through, having to listen to those "discussions".

but he really is up on all the catch phrases:
Quote:
I believe that rights come from God – not from government – and that it should be limited, its taxes and spending should be low, its regulations few, and its protection of our liberties constant.

if rights come from god, and not the government, why have so few places over space and time not had our rights? why did it take forming a government to get them for us?
and how is government supposed to protect our liberties without passing regulations, and without having money to spend doing it?
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

Anyhoozles, ಠ_ಠ

this, on the other hand, makes total sense. because a guy who has been arrested for a crime by a friendlygovernment with which we have treaties and good relationships is _exactly_ like a guy who has been held for years by a terrorist organization in a warzone.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox Newses know their audiences.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna go somewhere and cry (not really): http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/09/11/1329053/-Senate-Republicans-defend-billionaires-by-keeping-Citizens-United-alive
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 23 of 30

Jump to: