welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014-06-15 - Devil Tech Headquarters 17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
"Bloo-hoo, poor Milton" is NOT more important than all the problems he is responsible for, and if you want a happy ending for him that does not involve him learning hard lessons, coming face-to-face with his own evils, and at least wanting to do better and make amends somehow

He's a comic strip character. He won't learn unless Tat wants him to learn. It took Slick over fifteen years to get to where he is now and there's still work to be done. I don't foresee much progress for Milton any time soon. Which is fine with me, because Tat has many other characters/situations that he can re-visit.

For example: Who is this woman and why did she create the fustercluck that is the Slick/Sleaze situation?

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2012-04-01

We didn't get any of that crap in the strip until she came along.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps she is Fate.

Or something equally vague.
swicked

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:
Being a Fucking Creep, he probably won't, but this is the most likely experience to actually get through to him.
Yeah, I don't see him re-examining his actions as a result of this experience. I see him activating every last assassin bot he has in a massive manhunt in order to show that fembot "who is the man".
Which might possibly lead to his losing his job, which could lead to some kind of lesson, depending on the drama.
It's difficult to predict this comic more than a single step down the line.
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Perhaps she is Fate.

Or something equally vague.

Back when she was a topic of conversation, we called her "Mint." I had high hopes for her as a potential recurring character but 'twas not to be. Three strips prior to that one, she was in the company of another Devil Woman, but she made herself scarce in time for the "duel."

Notice that she, unlike Tange, has pupils in her eyes. Tat obviously has some reason for drawing Tange without pupils in her eyes -- it's not as if he's making the same mistake every single time -- but I have no idea what that might be.

Since Tange's early appearances, additional Devils (most of them nameless) have debuted, and a pattern has emerged: Devil Men almost never have pupils in their eyes, whereas Devil Women (Abby, Sapphire, "Mint", and of course Fuchsia and Blue) usually do. I suppose that this too must mean something. No idea about that one, either.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing Tat thought pupil-less eyes would look cool on her and now curses that day because continuity.

Maybe Mint (whom we will never see again) is part of the Sisterhood as well and has the unique ability to manifest someone's "evil" side just like the Devil. Considering anyone can be bomfed just like Tange. But unlike the Devil her powers are restrained and can even backfire like what Sleaze is doing to Slick.

In an interesting way, being BOMFed doesn't mean a character is fully in control of the bomfer. Tange didn't become an evil person, Slick didn't suddenly see what he's doing wrong.

I'm overthinking it tho.
Echo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iirc, Slick got bzomfed rather than plain bomfed, so that introduces uncertainty into the whole equation. Plus Tange got bomfed, Slick-zapped, By-the-power-of-'Niqued and only just escaped a Squigging, so reading anything in to that many variables is going to complex.
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
I'm guessing Tat thought pupil-less eyes would look cool on her and now curses that day because continuity.

I doubt that Tat cares enough about continuity to curse it. Wink

As noted, the fact that he draws almost all Devil Men as pupilless could be interpreted to imply some deeper meaning somewhere.

Leaving us with the question of what does Tange have in common with Devil Men?

Yinello wrote:
Maybe Mint (whom we will never see again)

Oh, now, Tat remembered that Amber existed after ten years, so you never know.

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2012-10-14

Of course, all he subsequently did with her was depict her as an illusion or some darned thing, but still, you have to re-start somewhere. Smile

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2012-12-23

Yinello wrote:
is part of the Sisterhood as well and has the unique ability to manifest someone's "evil" side just like the Devil.

Aside from the fact that allowing Slick's evil side to walk around in Sinfest-Prime doesn't do the Sisterhood any good at all, the Sisterhood seems to be sort of a humans-only organization. We've never seen a Devil as a member.

I had the vague notion that Mint played Trinity to Slick's Neo by making it possible for him to enter the mirror-verse (and allowing Evil Slick to do the opposite), that perhaps she's from the mirror-verse herself and Slick is "destined" to help...do...something. Like I said, a vague notion.

Other sentient non-humans confirmed to exist in the Sinfestiverse are Angels, Zombies, Robots (not just Fembots, there were also those Transformer types who showed up now and then), Aliens, Manifestations (or whatever we're supposed to consider Uncle Sam and Lady Liberty), Muses (who might also qualify as Nymphs, or vice versa), one Talking Pig, and one Whatever Seymour Qualifies As.

And Souls, but based on the one example, once a Soul leaves Hell, it becomes a Zombie.

Oh, and Deities, but they've got their own things going on.

Not immediately recalling any others except for entities that Squig met during his trip through alternate fiction realities (Far Side, Pogo, etc) back when. I'm presuming that the random gag-of-the-day strips that featured super-heroes, talking biped wolves, The Chicken and The Egg, and the rest aren't canon at all.
Rune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Rune wrote:
"Bloo-hoo, poor Milton" is NOT more important than all the problems he is responsible for, and if you want a happy ending for him that does not involve him learning hard lessons, coming face-to-face with his own evils, and at least wanting to do better and make amends somehow

He's a comic strip character. He won't learn unless Tat wants him to learn. It took Slick over fifteen years to get to where he is now and there's still work to be done. I don't foresee much progress for Milton any time soon. Which is fine with me, because Tat has many other characters/situations that he can re-visit.

So long as you don't want a happy ending for Milt that doesn't involve him learning hard lessons, coming face-to-face with his own evils, and at least wanting to do better and make amends somehow, none of the rest of that really has anything at all to do with my point.

I'm one of the ones who has no problem with the pacing. I happen to enjoy the slow unfolding. It feels very human to me.
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADDENDUM:

Oh, and there's this guy.

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2007-10-07

No idea what his story is. The archive refers to him as "Baby Dragon."
Echo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Aside from the fact that allowing Slick's evil side to walk around in Sinfest-Prime doesn't do the Sisterhood any good at all, the Sisterhood seems to be sort of a humans-only organization. We've never seen a Devil as a member.

Does this constitute a concrete offer, and acceptance of that?
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Tea wrote:
Odd question -- why do Tange and Lily want to rescue a murderous vengeful fembot? I mean, the main reason (as far as I can tell) they went after her to begin with is because she ran off a weapon and intended to use it. I mean I guess Tange must've up and decided that Px was suddenly a friend to risk life and limb for. Still I can't confess to being comfortable with the two "kids" of the comic being in close proximity to someone who just was about to make meat puree in cold blood.

you know, i'm not sure tange even gets the whole concept of good and evil, or even appreciates risk. i mean, she started off shoplifting jay-z cds, and blasting around with a shotgun (even if it did end up shooting flowers). i think she sort of a "wild child" - completely unaware of the rules, laws, mores, etc. of society, and just going with what feels right to her. and she's generally pretty well-intentioned - pretty much all of her interactions with people (at least after she stopped hissing at everyone) have been basically friendly. she seems to be willing to accept everyone as a friend.

and we don't really know how much she even knows of px's destructive tendencies, other than the one she showed towards herself. no indication of how much of her conversation with milton they overheard.

and px seems quite capable of discriminating between milton and other people. she even took out the shotgun shells before she aimed the gun at slick - and she's not too fond of him.
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Nonetheless, it's actually a solid theory in some regards. The only real weakness to it that comes to mind is that if she meant to do some good then it's a very slow acting plan and has been otherwise very protracted. But I could see the act of bringing Slick's "taint" to the surface as potentially helpful as opposed to leaving it buried deep in his unconscious. At least in a semi-tangible form it can be directly confronted.

We've not seen devil people in the Sisterhood, but we're not really sure how big the Sisterhood even is. I don't get the impression they have that many members, discounting the older comics where they seemingly had many more. I don't get the impression they'd turn them away, certainly not when Xanthe was offering free refreshment for devil girls. This suggest to me the possibility of the Sisterhood shopping for potential inside agents, aside from just caring about their well-being in general.

What's two other things that could suggest her membership?

1. She's confident and assertive, yet not in service to the Devil or his patriarchy as a whole. That implies to me she stands to benefit more from a society which doesn't repress women. (Hey, that's an idea -- what if she could represent sex-positive third wave feminism, which the comic usually seems to frown on?)
I also think she's notable in that she's one of the few female characters whose response to Slick's random advances was totally unique. Neither disgust, amusement or even dismissal. She just totally refused to let him define the tone of their exchange and took charge herself.

2. Glasses. The sisterhood all have eyewear save Nana. This doesn't mean anything by itself since glasses are actually a relatively common accessory in this comic, but it means if we saw her with the other sisterhood members she wouldn't stand out that much aside from her devil person features.
Ronald

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:
Quote:

Okay, so I overlooked one relevant strip. Bad me. Neutral
Ronald

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Echo wrote:
Quote:

Okay, so I overlooked one relevant strip. Bad me. Neutral

I wonder if Tat was purposely paraphrasing this earlier strip:

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2006-05-17
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things I noticed on this page (if this post is on the same page)

The third panel in the comic posted at the top has Slick's face looking very angularly similar to some depictions of Tats' face as he has self-drawn himself in the comic. Change the hair and the glasses-style and it's pretty much him. This probably isn't news to most of you.

The much-older comic posted at the bottom shows some of Tats earlier influences in the poses, which are borrowed from Milo Bloom or other similarly proportioned characters of Bloom County. This is only appropriate since Milo is probably one of Slick's archetype references.

Kinda makes me wonder what would happen if Steve Dallas showed up at the club where Monique performs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: