welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

July 20, 2014: Devil Tech Headquarters 47
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ennis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: July 20, 2014: Devil Tech Headquarters 47 Reply with quote

I'm just going to wait for someone to translate the latin.

Row 4 Panel 1 made me panic a little, I thought she was stopping Lil'E at first. I think it's just the drone though, which is understandable. Although I feel like they really should have done this check sooner.

I only just realised that row 5, panel 2 is meant to be the elevator shaft. I thought it was a cage or a window at first.

So I guess this means that the Sisterhood headquarters is indeed Xanthe's house (or under it) and maybe Nanna's too. I reckon it's almost canon that Nanna is Xanthe's grandmother.

Lol at Tange being like "heeeey I remember you!" to Lil Sis.

Oh, looks like Nanna's knitting Pixie something else to wear.

Last edited by Ennis on Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Let justice be done though the heavens fall.

I might have that tattooed on my arm...might.

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_justitia_ruat_caelum

I had to look it up. Unfortunately I'm not the kind of smartey-pants who memorizes latin sayings and concepts, which sucks because they all sound so cool and deep.

The phrase seems to imply either deep personal sacrifice or a form of societal restructuring as an acceptable price of Justice. The latter would imply the Sisterhood are radical feminists as opposed to liberal feminists. Liberal feminism is about changing the existing society rather than a more radical and revolutionary restructuring. Marxist feminism is an example of radical feminism, seeing capitalism as the core pillar of patriarchy, but I have yet to see anything that really makes a statement about The Sisterhood's position on economics, if they even have one.

The story I'm writing has a villain who believes in a VERY radical restructuring of society in the pursuit of ideals of justice. I'll probably be stealin' that phrasology, although it's been around since Seneca so it's definitely public domain by now.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a villain who believes in a VERY radical restructuring of society in the pursuit of ideals of justice.

plz don't go all VALIANT DEFENDERS OF THE STATUS QUO on it

plz
Istancow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the river and through the woods...
EverythingsJake

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, fond memories of Grandmother's house... fresh-baked cookies in the cookie jar... ice cream in the deep freeze... secret passage to an underground fortress behind the pantry shelves in the basement...
Mr Zero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I thought that the doll was a flashback and the doll was the inspiration for Pixie, but Waita minute, does that familliar looking doll mean that Orange is Granna's semi-absent granddaughter? Or is is Granna the Charlie to Xanthe's Charlie's Angels, and not just the one who owns the cookie shop that they hang out outside of?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've seen Xanthe press it to get to this place. It was in her room.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So cool seeing them all together again.
Echo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Team Infiltration are definitely in a place of safety!

Nice to see the Sisterhood have a decent HQ. And yay for Tange meeting Violet again - pity we don't have dialogue so we can hear what Tange thinks of the skull-helmet.

Also yay for Pxsomethingsomething getting patched up.

Though I'm sure that the drone had its camlink working at some point...
What happena my handle?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escaped 'bot and doll share a color scheme. Is that not significant?
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Quote:
a villain who believes in a VERY radical restructuring of society in the pursuit of ideals of justice.

plz don't go all VALIANT DEFENDERS OF THE STATUS QUO on it

plz

Fuck no. The status quo is fucked too.

A societal rebirth will happen whether the villain or the heroes succeed, it's just the nature of that rebirth that matters, and specifically who is in control of the technology that allows it.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabberjay wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_justitia_ruat_caelum

I had to look it up. Unfortunately I'm not the kind of smartey-pants who memorizes latin sayings and concepts, which sucks because they all sound so cool and deep.

The phrase seems to imply either deep personal sacrifice or a form of societal restructuring as an acceptable price of Justice. The latter would imply the Sisterhood are radical feminists as opposed to liberal feminists. Liberal feminism is about changing the existing society rather than a more radical and revolutionary restructuring. Marxist feminism is an example of radical feminism, seeing capitalism as the core pillar of patriarchy, but I have yet to see anything that really makes a statement about The Sisterhood's position on economics, if they even have one.

The story I'm writing has a villain who believes in a VERY radical restructuring of society in the pursuit of ideals of justice. I'll probably be stealin' that phrasology, although it's been around since Seneca so it's definitely public domain by now.

750+ chapters of One Piece and hundreds of millions of volumes sold says that this idea is highly marketable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. Part of my goal is that at least 1/4 of the audience will sympathize more with the villain than the heroes. I know merch should probably be the last thing a creator thinks about, but I'm totally going to have "Vaingloria Was Right" t-shirts if I ever get that far. They'd be right next to the President Tundra North Korean-style propaganda posters and the Gavin "JUSTICE" mugs.

The split between the heroes and the villain is whether or not large-scale violence and intimidation is necessary to bring about a revolution or if one can happen peacefully at a slower pace. The latter option requires more faith in humanity (or birdkind, in their case) while the former is far more cynical. Both sides want change but the main difference is between their approach and attitude towards that change.
Ronald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Meddler wrote:
Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Let justice be done though the heavens fall.

In the film JFK, Jim Garrison used that quote while talking to the press about his prosecution of one of the supposed assassins of, well, JFK. That's the only place I've heard/seen it until now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: