welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you reading?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ennis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: What are you reading? Reply with quote

I couldn't find a thread for books so I'm making a new one.

I'm rereading the Animorphs series and feeling a little like I'm reliving my childhood. Has anyone else read it? It's a damn good series. It's been out of print for awhile but you can find digital versions to read for free here. I believe the author has gone on record saying she doesn't care if people pirate the books, since they're so hard to find and I don't think anyone's really making any royalties off them.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sinfest.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=181

thread active since 2006
most recent post was a couple of weeks ago

you yourself posted in it last month ...?

Ennis wrote:
I hate watching or reading things like that, and they always seem to put themselves in the unfixable situation and make it worse instead of telling a more sensible lie and making it likely they'll get away with it.

___

In recent years my reading patterns consist primarily of textbooks, blogs, wikis (and their ilk), research papers, and fanfiction, in that order, but I mostly only post about fanfiction in that thread since it has a strong lean towards fiction.
Ennis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell? I thought there was one, I must have gone temporarily blind because I scanned the page about five times, even checked the next one, cmd-f for "read" and all I got was a bunch of thread results. I figured I must have imagined it, that I'd been talking about books in an unrelated thread. Okay, I'll post in there then. Seriously, what the hell. I looked pretty damn hard.

Edit: Ohhh, I know why. It's in General Discussion. I figured it would be here, in Casual Chat. Well, at least I'm not going crazy and/or blind. Why is that in GD when all the other similar threads are here anyway?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you would think that, but my past experiences with other forums bias me towards thinking of "casual chat" as a place for silly forum games and such

speaking of which, there hasn't been a Sunday Playlist all year. Hrm.

if we had mods maybe semi-focused threads about cartoons etc would be moved to general discussion, leaving "casual" a wasteland of post-postwhoring threads of doom and Sunday Playlists

or alternatively threads about fictional-book-crap would end up in "casual chat" with the cartoon crap

or maybe they'd categorize things entirely differently
it would be their call

but this is anarchy! ANARGHHGHGHY
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I *was* thinking of making a cooking thread and starting it off with my recipie for cream of leek and potato soup. I'm just not sure if anyone would be interested.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a recipe thread already. I'd link to it but on my phone it's a pain.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe thread - http://www.sinfest.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2991
And an attempt at making a second one - http://www.sinfest.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=7002

And a thread on what you are drinking right now - http://www.sinfest.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2803

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality work SP! God I hate phone internetting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started reading The Stars My Destination again, mostly because I have a bus ride that is 90 minutes each way I have to take twice a week. There's actually an online copy if anyone is interested. It has one of the best first chapters in any book I've ever read. Possibly the best.

Note I said "first chapter" and not "prologue." The prologue is good but it is entirely expository so it doesn't have the same impact.

http://americandigest.org/Bester,%20Alfred%20-%20The%20Stars%20My%20Destination.pdf

The only other sci-fi I like more is The Lathe of Heaven.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: