welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

July 24, 2014: Vainglorious
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ennis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at that Devil Club strip, I am suddenly reminded of the rave episode of Samurai Jack:

But anyway, let's start speculating. It's challengerS to the throne, not just this one Vainglorious person. The uprising will consist of "devil-kind", so maybe even though we don't know the leader, we will know the rest of them. What if this is a separate uprising of the oppressed devil girls we've seen so far? The devil men we've seen so far in the strip don't seem to have too much of a reason to start an uprising, but the girls on display in the Bomf District? Maybe if this Vainglorious person promised them a better life if they helped overthrow Dman, they would go along with it.

In terms of who would be the best candidate (AKA not random DJ that only appeared in the one strip, or a new character) to head this uprising, I would say either Blue or Sapphire, with a higher chance of it being Blue. Maybe, instead of having assimilated into the system as it appears, Blue has remembered the suffering she dealt with before she was so high up and is working to get enough power to overthrow Dman, with help from other devil girls. As for Sapphire, her disaffected act may be partly a ruse to conceal the fact that she is fervently working away organising an uprising. She didn't want to join or ally with the Sisterhood because as this strip demonstrates, Dman is very aware of the threat they pose and is trying to spy on them and possibly take them out.

Anyway, these are my main guesses. We really don't know anything though haha.
Ronald

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably just me, but it seems as if Tat's continuing efforts to world-build (such as they are) undermines some of the strip's charm. It's the Sinfestiverse's minimal internal logic that allows Lady Liberty, Cupid, Buddha, and other entities to exist, that allows giant transforming robots to come out of nowhere (and, apparently, go right back there), that allows characters from other strips and animation to appear without comment ("Hey, it's the guy from Monopoly. Wow, that's not at all weird."), that...well, you get the idea.
Echo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My half-arsed theory is that Blue's ruled out because she wasn't hell-born (otherwise I doubt she'd have been allowed in to Divinity School). She's got some power, and a taste for it, but doesn't fit the hell-born bit.

Li'l E is about the only character we *know* to be, in some manner, "hell-born". And Tange is devil-kind, approximately. But Tange alone doesn't qualify as "these", so he'd need to pick up more devil-kind followers, and he's hardly an inspiring leader.

It could be some sort of Li'l E with restored memories. That's my best guess, other than some out-of-the-blue big revelation or new character.

But really, I'm annoyed that this strip cut away from Abby and 'Nique.
Cley Faye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not related, but I'll post it anyway:

The Master Vainglorious
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Lily wanted to become Lil' Evil again all he'd have to do is walk through the Lethe again. Assuming it works based on the rules laid out in the last Cantos of Purgatorio stepping into the stream washes away memory and leaves one innocent as a newborn babe. Walking back through the stream returns the memory but in a more objective, less personal way. The idea is to see your own memories as if you were an observer to them, not a participant in them, the point of which is to reduce negative emotional involvement that would hold a soul back from redemption.

So if he goes back through the Lethe he'll remember what an asshole he used to be without losing the benefits of his new perspective. He'll probably just feel REALLY bad unless Tange decides to play Beatrice to his Dante and slap his shit until he stops feeling sorry for himself. Or hug him, that might work too. Maybe a bit of both.
Geareye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Vainglorious is ...well...vain...and fancies himself to be glorious...and I'm not sure where the graffiti area was, but I guess it was relatively close to the devil factory...could it be Sleaze?
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geareye wrote:
Since Vainglorious is ...well...vain...and fancies himself to be glorious...and I'm not sure where the graffiti area was, but I guess it was relatively close to the devil factory...could it be Sleaze?

The graffitti doesn't specify gender. Neither does today's comic.

Perhaps Vainglorious exists BEYOND your mortal concept of gender. Vainglorious could be the evil for the transhumanist generations to come. Move outta the way D-Man! Your Faustus shit was old when Marlowe was ripping off germanic fairy-tales. It' s time for a NEW evil. Evil we can believe in.

The final showdown should occur in the form of a rap battle or a basketball showdown. I saved a space station by defeating a wizard at basketball once. That might have been in an online video game (Space Station 13) but I'm assuming that all decisions hinging on the outcomes of basketball tournaments are totally legally binding.
EverythingsJake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geareye wrote:
...and I'm not sure where the graffiti area was, but I guess it was relatively close to the devil factory...could it be Sleaze?

It was down in the tunnels under the factory that Tange and Li'l E were following as they searched for PX, the tunnel that the ambulance passed through. A quantity of graffiti suggest that the tunnel gets some traffic, enough that someone thought it worth their while to post their message where it might be seen.

If we apply a broad definition of "born" in "hell-born," the Sleaze character could be the person in question. His very existence raises a question of "why?" We know nothing about the devil girl who created him from Slick, nor her motives, nor even if she knew what she was creating or if it was an accidental side-effect.

We do know that Sleaze his highly destructive character. There was that Sunday strip where Slick discovered the path of destruction that Sleaze had left behind.

We've also had a clue about what he fears:

On the other hand, this brought him to his knees, too.

Entering "sleaze" on the search page, of course, brings up lots more to look into.

ETA: I'm not terribly satisfied with the sudden appearance of the soothsayer, either. Since when has the devil needed a soothsayer? A soothsaying computer busy analyzing data sent in by the spybots and making predictions might have been a better fit. Or simply one of the staff (or a spybot) discovering the Vainglorious graffitti and reporting it.
Ronald

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:
My half-arsed theory is that Blue's ruled out because she wasn't hell-born (otherwise I doubt she'd have been allowed in to Divinity School).

Which sort of begs the question of what Blue is...to have been allowed into Divinity School? She didn't have horns when she started working for the Devil Club, so presumably she started out as not a Devil at all, but then...

However, the flashbacks seem to imply that The Devil himself was a dropout from Divinity School, so who knows?

Geareye wrote:

Earlier I was implying that it might be Slick himself (although I doubt he wrote the graffiti; for all we know, a soothsayer did that). He used to be vain about his own supposed glory, and now he's trying to achieve true glory but mostly in vain.

Jabberjay wrote:
If Lily wanted to become Lil' Evil again all he'd have to do is walk through the Lethe again. Assuming it works based on the rules laid out in the last Cantos of Purgatorio stepping into the stream washes away memory and leaves one innocent as a newborn babe. Walking back through the stream returns the memory but in a more objective, less personal way.

Well, yes, assuming. Wink

Li'l E never actually walked through the Lethe, though. He only splashed a little of its water into his face.

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2011-09-23

In contrast, Slick, earlier, dived into it and actually got some of it in his mouth...

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2011-04-27

...Yet after a walk into and out of The Reality Zone, he was fine.

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2011-05-01

In fact, it now seems that just anybody can drink Lethe water...

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2012-09-28

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2013-07-11

...and then eventually snap out of it on their own. (I don't think we ever saw Sam come back to himself, but obviously he did)

So apparently Li'l E is the only one who has such a strong reaction to it.

Interestingly (or not), Li'l E can apparently also eat from the Tree of Knowledge with no effect whatsoever.

http://sinfest.net/view.php?date=2011-05-26

crunch crunch

So, you know, there's that, anyway.
coldbeer4thesoul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vainglory - such a King James Bible word. Yet I was surprised it only shows up once in there.

Phil 2:3a: Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coldbeer4thesoul wrote:
Vainglory - such a King James Bible word. Yet I was surprised it only shows up once in there.

Oh man I think I still need more coffee. I was just thinking to myself "Wait, there's a book of the bible called 'Phil'? Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ronald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
coldbeer4thesoul wrote:

Oh man I think I still need more coffee. I was just thinking to myself "Wait, there's a book of the bible called 'Phil'?

Yes, but only by its close friends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: