welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

July 26, 2014: Show me the files
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it's anything to do with Li'l E. What could Blue learn about him from Pxsomethingsomething's memories? Nothing certain about his parentage, or anything particularly troubling about his current activities.

In terms of specific points of information, she might look into Pxsomethingsomething's domestic violence revenge incident. Or the incident with the knife. Or possibly the unloading of the shotgun before interrogating Slick. Maybe the targetting of Milton, though to be honest that's not something I think Blue would really care about.

More suitably for a Sunday strip, there might be some sort of thematic thing about, well, friendship and loss. Pxsomethingsomething having had and lost all her sisters, then avenged them in some manner, while making new friends - Xanthe and Nana, Li'l E and Tange, the weaponised fembot sent to kill her (briefly)... contrast that with Blue's life, where she's risen to power but lost contact with her best friend, and now the closest thing she has to human contact is sporadic and usually grumpy interactions with Abby, and Milton creeping on her... somewhere in all that there's probably enough material for a Sunday strip.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why yes, stripey, jabberjay is the one who fears a hypothetical technology because of all the hypothetical ways it could be used against people and can't seem to accept the possibility of hypothetical fail-safes and security measures.

Apparently real life is exactly like bad 50's sci-fi in this matter and humanity should never aspire to more because the hoooorror, the hooooooorrroooooor.
EverythingsJake

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:
OK, so the question is, what's in this that Blue's going to care about?

An excellent question. The last panel ("These memory files... show them to me.") seems as though it should have a dark and foreboding musical score behind it. I do hope this won't peter out into nothing, because there's a lot in PX's memories: fury over broken and discarded fembots, the attack by Weapon F, Li'l E's arsenal, her alliance with Tange and Li'l E, threatening Slick with a shotgun, aiming said gun at Milton... given Blue's current state of mind, it's hard to predict how she's going to react to this cavalcade of emotion-arousing memories.

Echo wrote:
More suitably for a Sunday strip, there might be some sort of thematic thing about, well, friendship and loss. Pxsomethingsomething having had and lost all her sisters, then avenged them in some manner, while making new friends

It will be interesting to see how Blue copes with the information. We know from the Sunday strip showing her in Divinity school that she's been something of an outsider in her social group and has struggled with her own inadequacies. Getting promoted to the Manor was huge for her. Finally she felt like she was moving up in the world. Fuchsia's departure left her feeling alone again, and it seems she had a hard time understanding why her co-worker would leave a prestigious job for love, even though Fuchsia's heart really wasn't in her work. Now Blue has been left in charge of things. How she loved the feeling of power. Seems she'd made it. She was trusted.

And now -- it's all falling apart.

So, will her sympathetic side, the side that let both Fyoosh and 'Nique on separate occasions escape from the manor, prevail? Or will her desire for power and prestige drive her to bury her sympathies and try to recover control of the situation, and go after the escaped fembots?

And... will someone untie Milton? Ever?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:

keeping nanotech in check is really easy

nanotech can't outsmart you

the only risks are that someone else will abuse it (a risk that comes with any technology), or that it will evolve in a manner akin to cancer. It can't evolve if it can't replicate, and even if you need it to self-replicate for some reason you can just encrypt/compress the replication instructions and then even the tiniest error in the replication of those instructions will result in completely non-functional instructions.

What if you designed nanomachines that could exhibit and utilize colonial behaviors and mechanisms and that through such devices could more realistically threaten humans?

naaah
saying "colonial behaviors" and throwing massive numbers at it doesn't magically crack general AI

a related problem that I think might be a real risk but falls under the "abuse by other people" category would be if someone used a nanotech-constructed computer to brute-force an AI using genetic algorithms and a pleasure-pain feedback loop. Such an AI wouldn't particularly care for humans. That would be pretty bad.

“Moore’s Law of Mad Science: Every eighteen months, the minimum IQ necessary to destroy the world drops by one point.”
EverythingsJake

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that does seem fairly clear at this point is that Blue appears to think of the bots as manufactured products, not living and sentient entities. 'Twill be interesting to see if PX's memories alter her perceptions at all.
Geareye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverythingsJake wrote:
there's a lot in PX's memories: fury over broken and discarded fembots, the attack by Weapon F, Li'l E's arsenal, her alliance with Tange and Li'l E, threatening Slick with a shotgun, aiming said gun at Milton... given Blue's current state of mind, it's hard to predict how she's going to react to this cavalcade of emotion-arousing memories.

It will be interesting to see how Blue copes with the information.

With the exception of Lil' E's arsenal and the possibility of PX working with someone with such an impressive arsenal, which makes her even more of a threat, I don't think Blue would give a damn about anything. Nothing in her current characterisation and development to the person she is has shown that she would care for PX and the fembots, or Slick and Milton's safety. I might be wrong, but I can't see something that hints she would care.
EverythingsJake

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be so. She does have sympathetic feelings for Fuchsia. The two of them were friends before they came to the manor, Blue defended Fyoosh from a creep in the bar (and so caught the D-man's eye), felt sorrow and betrayal at her departure, but still won't harm her.

But Fyoosh is a living devil girl with whom Blue has a history. So far Blue doesn't seem to view the fembots as living. Nor does she have any history with any of them. They're products, one is "defective," and that "defect" is threatening the factory and her position. Expecting PX's memories to evoke sympathy may be a stretch. But I'm finding this one hard to predict, simply because Blue is a complex character.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Why yes, stripey, jabberjay is the one who fears a hypothetical technology because of all the hypothetical ways it could be used against people and can't seem to accept the possibility of hypothetical fail-safes and security measures.

Apparently real life is exactly like bad 50's sci-fi in this matter and humanity should never aspire to more because the hoooorror, the hooooooorrroooooor.

That's why we stopped developing jam and jello. Too much potential for it to turn into a sentient flesh eating blob.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, now

if you're going to ridicule something, at least ridicule it on the right front

There are times when science fiction deals with things that are actual risks, though there's little hope using that to glean any of the actual scope of any issue or any of the important details.

or are you referencing the EGS thing again
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what you're talking about.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabberjay wrote:
Exposition!
Also why no hunky mandroids? If someone were selling mandroids I'd buy two!
Because in the Tatsverse only men are capable of sexual exploitation.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, they DO apparently make mandroids... they're not hunky though... kinda scrawny, spooky, and remind me of something out of the worlds end...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should come in different models. I'd take one bara, one bishie, and if I had any cash left over one highly-androgynous femboi in tight short-shorts. I'd spend at least a few days having fun pretending to be Hedonism Bot. I'd be fed grapes, be fanned with a large-fan that must be made of peacock feathers or something...

The point is that selling only a single model of product doesn't make sense in this instance. One could point out that the fashion industry more-or-less has a singular ideal of beauty, but that is because that ideal is meant to be unattainable for at least 99.9% of the human race. That industry makes money from people trying and failing to meet those unattainable standards. With fembots/mandroids a diversity in models and appearance would be a motivator for people to purchase more than one.

If I were Big-D I'd want a bot in every home by 2020. He wouldn't need drones if he could spy on people through their bots. Also Sinfst would become Chobits, and I LOVED Chobits!
diagram12345

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabberjay wrote:
I'd take one bara, one bishie, and if I had any cash left over one highly-androgynous femboi in tight short-shorts.

Yes plz.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Quote:
At the very least make replicants instead, Blade Runner style, so their irreversable 4 year lifespan means they can't sustain an effective revolution, just sporadic serial-killing and terrorism.

that's an even worse idea

fucking hell

you do that and everyone is dead.

actually, i'm surprised d-man hasn't thought of this already - just call it 'planned obsolescence' (and limit them to a 3.5 yr warranty), and you sell a lot more units. and it's not like he's too worried about the death of sentient beings.

rogue's memories do include xanthe and nana, and thus clear contact with the sisterhood....i wonder if blue will use that to blame the sisterhood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: