welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you reading . . . . Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 244, 245, 246  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celaeno wrote:

The plot is Groundhog Day (but with a lifetime)

the fanfiction term for a character that does that is Peggy Sue/Groundhog Peggy Sue

it turns up a lot

there's at least one long-running fic like that for each major internet fandom and a short fic like that for most moderately well-known franchises

there's also an ongoing collaborative thing mixing basically all fictional worlds + various historical figures with infinite crossover time loops

some of them are pretty good
Yorick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, finally

edit: also, Guardians Of the Galaxy: Tomorrow's Avengers vol 1
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretties, by Scott Westerfield. I like the setting, but I can't stand slogging through a story where one character tells a giant lie, then builds on that lie - and you know that the lie just has to fall apart.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Pretties, by Scott Westerfield. I like the setting, but I can't stand slogging through a story where one character tells a giant lie, then builds on that lie - and you know that the lie just has to fall apart.

Oh my god same, that's why I hated watching American Hustle, I was so stressed throughout it. I hate watching or reading things like that, and they always seem to put themselves in the unfixable situation and make it worse instead of telling a more sensible lie and making it likely they'll get away with it. I remember as a kid I would abandon watching episodes of shows where they had situations like that, I just straight up couldn't handle it.

I don't know if this is normal or if it's a weird quirk that we share haha.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

Oh my god same, that's why I hated watching American Hustle, I was so stressed throughout it. I hate watching or reading things like that, and they always seem to put themselves in the unfixable situation and make it worse instead of telling a more sensible lie and making it likely they'll get away with it. I remember as a kid I would abandon watching episodes of shows where they had situations like that, I just straight up couldn't handle it.

I don't know if this is normal or if it's a weird quirk that we share haha.

I'm turning 35 in two weeks and I will still do that. It's one thing if there's a legitimate reason, but most times it's the lie that supports the plot. It's one of the most overused tropes and often makes for some horribly unrealistic events as well as motivating people to commit all sorts of crimes usually played off (or at least attempted to be) as laughs e.g. Protagonist committing crimes like breaking and entering, mail fraud, defamation, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a long time to realize that was why I hated watching some awkward things on television. Now I just fastforward through stuff.

The lie didn't come out till the end of the book, even though the author had been constantly building to it. The outing of the lie was really, really unsatisfying in any way to me. It would have been much stronger if the character had admitted to the lie earlier, and she would still have had plenty of reasons to do what she ended up doing later in the book. Without all the forced awkwardness.

It also had obligatory romance triangle. And some stuff to say about brain damage that...uh...I have no idea wtf. So I'm totally skipping the other books in the series.

I also thought I'd get used to the words Pretties, Uglies, Littlies and Specials used to refer to people, and city names like "New PrettyTown." But I didn't. It sounds awkward through the whole book - especially 'Littlie.' Cutie would have fit better with the other words.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am concurrently reading the well of loneliness and the alexandria quartet. this may be a mistake, for a lot of reasons.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*reading along*

apparently the protagonist is a racist

*stop a moment*

ugghhhhh

I mean, I guess that makes sense. She has just barely gotten out of the insular jingoistic military organization she was raised in, after all.

aaaand my cat is licking my earplugs for some reason
Desire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading Game of Thrones (the first four books in the series) this summer. I also picked up the Divergent Trilogy as someone had recommended it to me.

The GoT books I've been enjoying. I see a lot of the stuff coming but then he throws in some unexpected twists that take me by surprise. He has me hooked into seeing how the whole thing plays out.

I enjoyed Divergent and Insurgent. They were quick reads and nothing too unexpected but I found the characters and story interesting. But the third book.... I was incredibly pissed off when I finished it. So much so that I have to laugh at myself. But man, I feel like she just did not do any justice to the previous story and characters. It seriously felt to me like she was just wanting to wrap it all up and be done with it and had decided certain events that must happen and forced the story to make them happen like she wanted.

There are numerous other directions she could have gone that would have been more satisfying and more true to the characters. I seriously like I want to edit/re-write the last book to make it fit with the story better!
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Desire - long time no see!

Game of Thrones is evil, because he keeps jumping around, and so i keep reading even when i need to go do other things (like, go to work), because i -have- to know if whoever was left hanging in the chapter i just finished gets axed or not.

plus i honestly keep going in hopes of seeing characters i hate get theirs.
Desire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mouse! It is good to see you again! I often wonder how you are doing! Smile

GoT is evil! I find myself thinking of different characters and plot lines at odd moments, trying to puzzle it all out. I have the fifth book, but I am putting off reading it as I know it took a long time for that one to come out so I am trying to delay as long as I can so that the wait after the fifth, for the sixth, will be as short as possible. I suspect that makes no logical sense, but it appears to be what I am doing.

There have been a few moments where I was happy to see someone get what was coming to them, and there are a few more I am waiting for. Though I think he does a good job of creating characters you hate/despise, and then later shows enough of their humanity to make you understand them a bit better and feel more sympathetic towards them.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm doing great! (and i can't believe Rhett is already 8!) hope things are still going well for you.

i will agree that he makes you understand them better....but i don't think _anything_ will make me sympathize with Cercei.
Desire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cersei is one I am waiting to see her get what she deserves! Evil or Very Mad

I am doing well enough!
With the darkness up here during the winter and my ADD and depression, winters are a rough time for me, though I am trying to stay positive and hopefully weather it better this year. Rhett is such a happy and sweet child, he keeps me grounded to what is important. Smile

He is growing too fast though; it goes by so quickly!
Ennis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't already you absolutely must read the webcomic Paranatural. There's not a huge backlog, right now there's only about 120 pages. I was laughing out loud on so many pages, it's brilliant. Be sure to read the alt text and the comments. The art improves dramatically in the course of something like 20 pages, then more steadily gets better. I can't wait until the author brings out a book because I will buy it in an instant.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/, a webcomic by Kris Straub (of Starslip Crisis). I have to agree with the creator's description, which is basically "Tin Tin goes to Innsmouth."
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 244, 245, 246  Next
Page 245 of 246

Jump to: