welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1248, 1249, 1250 ... 1257, 1258, 1259  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Not getting Ebola is actually pretty simple. Just don't fucking touch somebody with Ebola.

what are you talking about, rolling around in Ebola puke-blood is my most cherished hobby

you wouldn't take that away from me, would you?
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I'm not sure having traditions based on superstition and bullshit is a recognized one, but points for being so ethnocentric.

Yeah he's wrong about pretty much all of that.

The actual cultural issues at play involve the consumption of unregulated wild bushmeat, a complete distrust of government in affairs of the regulation of bushmeat. Both of these are far larger factors than traditional healing methods (as is generally sloppy handling of the deceased in parts of west africa).

The comparison to a Pandemic disease with high lethality is also not-quite-correct. The real issue of Ebola is a lack of sufficiently capable transmission vectors.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, bushmeat is the most likely initial cause of the infections, but it's not the most likely vector for its continuance (or so I've read). The risk is greatest when handling fresh meat, because cooking or smoking effectively destroys the virus. But how people care for their sick and dead is considered, at least from the sources I've read, to be the largest factor for it continuing to spread. This is mainly because the risk from bushmeat is largely to the person who prepares it, but an individual with EHF could infect multiple people.

There's a lot of mistrust of government and foreigners, the former is generally believed to be corrupt or incompetent and the latter are feared to be bringing the disease rather than treating it. Aid workers have been stopped by intentionally felled trees blocking roads and even armed villagers turning them away. So, education about what Ebola is and how it's spread is an important piece that gets at both the bushmeat and the interpersonal vectors.

Of course, as I was saying before, it's not that easy to get Ebola, and even though this is the largest outbreak in recorded history it still kills fewer people per year than malaria or TB or HIV or a dozen other things. And fewer people have died of Ebola in the last 20 years than died of TB in just 2012.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"we didn't have problems with this disease until all these foreigners came around 'telling us how to get rid of it'"
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUCK CHOLANGIOCARCINOMA!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds shitty. Who has it?
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The woman I've worked under for the last 11 years. She passed today, uptick that got her out of icu, 2 days later she was gone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry. That's some pretty terrible luck, to have just left the ICU.
Him

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
The woman I've worked under for the last 11 years. She passed today, uptick that got her out of icu, 2 days later she was gone.

I'm really sorry to hear that.
Got to be lots of thing to process when it happens so suddenly like that.

I feel kind of bad now, when there's horrors like that, to come in here to complain about a stye.
But yeah, I've got a stye, haven't had one in years, but here it is and it fucking sucks.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, personal pain is personally painful. hope it clears up soon.

monkey, sorry about your co-worker - and that sounds like a really really nasty thing to have - "rare, but almost immediately fatal". fuck.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to whine about this for a bit more because IRL i'm having to keep it together.

There are 12 staff where i work, 5 of them are on vacation out of state right now. One staff was close as family to her, he's taking it "catholic funeral" well. Another staff is literally the only person in the world who would eat that news 45 minutes before his shift started and go "oh yeah i was going to call in sick, you're going to need to find someone to cover." while barely knowing the lady.
Mean while, as a temporary AM, i'm in the middle of a 10 day stretch, getting a phone call from some transient who found clean clothes in the white bird donation box, held it together JUST long enough to get served by our newest employee and get half a beer in him before getting up to smoke and passing out, spliting his chin open on our floor (i got to clean the blood up too, bonus) asking about our insurance information (i'm so looking forward to the impending lawsuit). Half the staff I do have is stumbling about in grief stricken shock, the other half have other jobs so they have no days off and are increasingly worn down and i'm basically having to juggle all this AND play server rather than cooking like I usually do. And I'm having to keep it together through the passing of a woman i've known for 1/3 of my life who helped me through my dad having a heart attack and basically everything shitty from the past 10 years.

I daydream about just yanking the gas line out of the grill one morning and walking the fuck away.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there no way the company will let you close for even a day, just to let everyone kinda get settled?...probably not, i guess - you work for a chain, right? still, you would think having less than half your normal staff would count for something.

sorry work is being so shitty, monkey.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not giving people time off just doesn't make any sense. I know so many companies do it, but it still doesn't make any sense.

Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, but think of the ~business neeeeeeds~.

Particularly, business needs combined with the fact that the 'business' knows damned well you don't have any other options than to take what they give you.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Oh, but think of the ~business neeeeeeds~.

Particularly, business needs combined with the fact that the 'business' knows damned well you don't have any other options than to take what they give you.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

(In related news, workflow may or may not be trying to get me to quit over just this issue. apparently they aren't able to deny a request to go part time, but they do get to pick the shittiest hours imaginable to force me to stay with the schedule I have.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1248, 1249, 1250 ... 1257, 1258, 1259  Next
Page 1249 of 1259

Jump to: