welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August 19, 2014: Statue
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it ever clarified what Satan's motivations are behind his evil in Sinfest? There is definitely a spite element as evidenced from some of his exchanges with Godhand, but that just seems sort of general. We know he is trying to enforce some kind of capital P Patriarchy within Sinfestian society, but why that specifically? Especially when the Abrahamic model is self-described as Patriarchy, so isn't that what Godhand would approve of? Well, the "be loyal to your husband" part, not the more risqué parts. Although I can't specifically remember Godhand ever actually reinforcing any Judeo-Christian moral values, that's usually what Seymour does.

Is it folly to try and look for a logic in this at all?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Occasionally it has been implied that he wants to be happy, and is using materialism and being in charge of others to fulfill that wish. Images from his youth point to the possibility he may have started down this path idealistically, and then something went horribly wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
...if he sees it just as a plushy - well, maybe thoughts of his 'my little pony' collection will soften him.
Wabi wrote:
...she's adorable and hugging a plush fork.

It's not plush. It's a NERF pitchfork.

My job* here is done. MerchMan, AWAAAAAAY

*needless pedantry
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Occasionally it has been implied that he wants to be happy, and is using materialism and being in charge of others to fulfill that wish. Images from his youth point to the possibility he may have started down this path idealistically, and then something went horribly wrong.

So really the same motivations as Milton's Satan, but within the context of the Sinfest universe. He sees God as a tyrant but is hypocritically a tyrant in his rebellion. He also hides behind formality, regality, wealth, splendour, and military might. This is just being applied to the modern era, jus as Milton had Satan's army invent guns and cannons during the war on Heaven to make a point that he thought such things were evil.

I had to think on your answer for a few minutes but it actually answered my question nicely. Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: