Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

11/1 Deceit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Secret

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: 11/1 Deceit Reply with quote

This one was done quite well, but the joke has been used in about half of all Pooch and Percy strips. Confused

Last edited by Secret on Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Lemontree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*shrug* Yeah, its kind of repetitive.... but who cares? So much love for the pooch and percy! Very Happy

Of course speaking of their storylines.. I would like to see more of what happened to Percy's brief lady-friend. Hm..
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A kitten is going to show up on his doorstep, "Hi, dad!"
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The joke is so common because it is so true!

But my cat doesn't always fake the love. He does when he wants food though the little rat.

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Rats never fake love!
Snorri

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither do elephants.

MsFrisby

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is this 7/1? Isn't that July 1st?
Funkentelechy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That stylized exclamation mark in the second panel is fuckin dope
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 7/1 Deceit Reply with quote

Secret wrote:
This one was done quite well, but the joke has been used in about half of all Pooch and Percy strips. Confused

well, slick is doing some sort of pimp thing in about half his strips, and squiggley is doing his doper/slob thing in about half _his_ strips, and the fanboy is doing his '<3 god' thing in pretty much all his strips, and the devil...well, you see where i'm going.

these are their characters - pooch is the loving and loyal mutt, percy the scheming selfish cat - sure, they may be somewhat stereotyped, but no more so than god or the devil or the angels or anyone else.

_my_ kittens, of course, love me unconditionally, and they never ever scheme to overthrow me. even when i've hauled them inside and they go huddle together in the corner whispering into each other's ears. they're just telling each other how much they love me. they are _too_.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called a "running gag" Secret. It is used so that the audience believes they "know" the characters, their personalities, etc. It's (supposed to be) funny because it is predictable, and anticipation makes the punch line very sweet.

It is harder to represent complex personalities on paper for the purpose of entertaining people, so this is the favorable alternative.
donut3point5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then BAM! perc returns making probably the sweetest strip ever made.
--donut3.5--
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes - because you see under all that well-established stereotypical independent cat exterior, there is a feeling individual. wouldn't have nearly the impact if percy's character hadn't been so well-established.
Secret

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: 7/1 Deceit Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Secret wrote:

well, slick is doing some sort of pimp thing in about half his strips, and squiggley is doing his doper/slob thing in about half _his_ strips, and the fanboy is doing his '<3 god' thing in pretty much all his strips, and the devil...well, you see where i'm going.

these are their characters - pooch is the loving and loyal mutt, percy the scheming selfish cat - sure, they may be somewhat stereotyped, but no more so than god or the devil or the angels or anyone else.

_my_ kittens, of course, love me unconditionally, and they never ever scheme to overthrow me. even when i've hauled them inside and they go huddle together in the corner whispering into each other's ears. they're just telling each other how much they love me. they are _too_.

Those characters, however, have significant variances in behavior, so they can support tons of jokes, especially in storylines. Pooch and Percy are relatively flat characters, and they appear almost purely in short storylines at most, so they have almost no variance.

And the joke isn't intrinsically funny, so the "running gag" part really doesn't apply. Plus, running gags generally have to be delivered before the audience adapts to the onslaught (meaning no gaps) and so Pooch and Percy fall flat.
Pytheus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well call it what you will, but I call it filler. I don't hold this against the artist, I know I would be hard pressed to think of something new every day of every year for the past 5 or 6 years.

I'm sure he has a life and isn't thinking up enough complex story lines to fill each day out. Some ideas need time to develop, otherwise it may fall short of its intended impact and seem dull and rushed.

Also any idea that introduces the characters in a new way would have an impact on future comics, as I'm sure inconsistencies in the story development would be pointed out by those on this forum.

So cut the guy some slack. Its hard to be brilliant and witty every day.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 7/1 Deceit Reply with quote

Secret wrote:

Those characters, however, have significant variances in behavior, so they can support tons of jokes, especially in storylines.

how much variance in behavior do you expect from a dog and a cat?

and tell me which storyline involving, say, slick, that has the emotional impact of the come back story?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: