Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anxiety, Depression, and Other Mental Health Stories
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that it's supposed to be different.

The last time I went to a counselor it was because work had a thing where you could go like 4 times and it would be free, so I did that. Near the end I was like 'hey so i think i should keep doing this, I understand I'll need to pay' so they gave me the pro-rated rates that were something I could manage. Then after a few more sessions they were like 'by the way we need to raise the rates. like, nearly double what you were paying before, sorry.' so I did that once. i also asked for a reference for someone who could prescribe meds or something. she was like 'well i think we're getting someone in that has that kind of qualifications.' but didn't go into much detail beyond that.

After that a whole pile of shit happened, including work dicking me around and my uncle passing away. I ended up quitting and then I couldn't have afforded the original pro-rated rates, let alone the new ones.

So I get that it's supposed to be different than talking to your friends. I knew that going in. Maybe I just haven't had a chance to get to the point where it shows any real benefits or something but I'd think after like 6 or 7 sessions I shoulda been getting something out of it other than more 'how do i afford the thing' stress?
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a pretty good amount of time. It's entirely possible you had a bad counselor. Or they were okay but didn't explain how long they expected therapy to last. Some, like psychodynamic, can be really long (years). Others, like CBT, can be shorter. What type they use depends on what your counselor is trained in and what they think you need. So... yeah, I don't know. I'm sorry it didn't seem like it was working. Sad
Mr Gary

Location: Some pub in England ... Uh, I mean, Scotland ... Uh, I mean, Spain ... Uh I mean Scotland again ...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ridiculous that someone (Dogen) should feel the need to apologise to another person because therapy didn't have the efficacy the patient had hoped for, but it's nowhere as ridiculous as the idea that a patient should have to stress over the cost of treatment when they're seeking help for a (at least partially, I don't know Samsally's life) stress related illness.

I don't know if the paragraph above makes sense.

And I also feel I might be impinging on a completely different subject: free health care v paid for health care.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Dogen was taking any kind of responsibility when he said sorry, lol, I think it was more of a sympathy sorry. Which is appreciated, by the way, thank you.

But the rest of what you said made total sense, Gary, and I also have many opinions about free health care, none of which jive with reality apparently.

(I appreciate how everybody's like "I don't know your life, really!" when sometimes I feel like all I do on this forum is talk about myself.)
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we probably need a totally different thread to rant about fee-for-service health care as provided by insurance companies.

'cause that one will get big _fast_.
Black Kitty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my cat to the vet this week to double check that she doesn't have a UTI. She'd been peeing outside the box a bit. The doc assured me it was a behavioral issue, and suggested putting her on the same brain meds I'm on.

Pets resemble their owners, right?
Black Kitty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so embarrassing when I pee outside the box.
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90% of the stories like this i hear about in the united states involve some need to rant at least a little bit about our health care system, which is often a central component of the tragedy and struggle faced by people I know in this country who are dealing with occasional mental health crises. But I can see why it would have to be a separate thread, probably.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: