Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August 12, 2017: Party Planning 26
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draculaura

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tat. Thank you Bogy. This comic and that news are two of the brightest fuckin' things to me about this shitty little rock right now.

And stacked that, yeah I stacked that past the ceiling

So sacrilegious, don't ask to chat

And don't ask for pictures, bagbak I'm trippin'
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogy wrote:
Draculaura, nice tuxes. At their wedding in November I think my daughter in law would look good in one of those in the bottom picture. She's not formal enough for the ones in the top pictures, plus, if the weather cooperates, it will be an outdoor wedding, so the whole wedding will be not quite so formal. She's doing something similar to one of those. My daughter will be doing a traditional wedding dress, which her mother is making.

Awww. Best wishes to them both! ^^ Also, outdoor weddings are amazing; I hope the weather holds up.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, best wishes, bogy! (from yet another internet stranger, but then again, i think it nice to remind the world occasionally that not everyone on the internet is a troll spitting hate at people). i hope the weather is _perfect_.

and on nique - i think there was a whole arc of her running around as androgynique, but i don't have time to look up and anyway it probably started with/shortly after the one Argus posted.
Taemon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post us a picture, bogy!
Hekateras

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Draculaura:

Regarding how someone can not know that tuxedo lesbians are a thing, I feel obligated to share this xkcd comic:

Also, mayyybe not do that? Mock people for not knowing something and (insultingly) call them sheltered? The fashion choices of a specific subculture of a specific subgroup of the LGBT community as it manifests in specific parts of the West is not, in fact, as common knowledge as you might think (especially when it's not like you ****ing ever learn this shit at SCHOOL), and mocking people for NOT knowing it smacks of a very specific kind of Western, specifically American, cultural imperialism. Like I could understand an "omg you don't know about tuxedo lesbians?" disbelief tone but multiple mocking lines about it spread over MULTIPLE posts, complete with multiple reaction images, are pretty over the top and kind of crass to look at. Your experiences != other people's. Just... why mock when you can educate?

Sweet jesus. Sorry, but I take issue with activism that slams people for asking genuinely INNOCENT QUESTIONS because how the flying hell do we expect them to learn, otherwise?????? And you utterly ignored GreekPlayer and Pedro_Martini addressing it, which wasn't classy at all.

-_-

On an unrelated note, do we actually know that Nique is a lesbian as opposed to, say, bi (since she's dated dudes before)? I mean, apart from the.... literal Word of God about it. Though I suppose she's digging the scene, at least.
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heyyyy, Hekateras, good to see you again o/

Hekateras wrote:
On an unrelated note, do we actually know that Nique is a lesbian as opposed to, say, bi (since she's dated dudes before)? I mean, apart from the.... literal Word of God about it. Though I suppose she's digging the scene, at least.

Welllll, there's this strip where Seymour asks Monique "So you're gay now?" and Monique replies "I am.", but... I've seen people use "gay" to just mean "not straight", like saying "I'm way too gay for you" - which could mean the person is gay/lesbian or just that they're queer. Like Kristen Stewart (who has definitely dated guys) did for example.

So it's open to interpretation whether Monique is off guys (which can happen, people's sexualities do change) or whether she's bi/pan and just simplifying things for Seymour, or doesn't want to get into the whole labels thing.
Draculaura

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heka i'm rly sorry but i aint readin that

anyway nah i think she's probably 100% gay now. since god did that whole skit and everything

it happens

Bogy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody! We are very excited as well. Sorry in the delay in getting back, I made a quick trip to be the driver and "responsible adult" when my sister had to have a medical procedure done earlier this week.

A legal/civil wedding took place on Jan. 10. They were afraid to wait until after Jan. 20. I was pretty sure nothing would happen that quickly, but they live in a state which had passed a "one man, one woman" law prior to the Supreme Court decision, so we talked it over and decided they would do the state thing in January, and we would do the "real" wedding in November, as originally scheduled. Personally, I, along with many pastors, wish we in the U.S. would be like much of the rest of the world, and separate the state requirement of the marriage license from what we do as clergy.

Anyway, going to visit them on Sunday and Monday. They live dead center where the Eclipse will pass on Monday, and I put in my reservation months ago. My wife was there last weekend to work on the dress, now it's my turn, and we'll spend some time talking about some of the details of what they want in the service. I'm excited, because its going to be my first same gender wedding. No one has ever asked me before. My daughter knew she had no choice but to ask me. Wink I hope no one takes that statement negatively, but I did the services for both her sister and her brother, and while some clergy don't want to do family weddings, it's special to me.

Yes, there will be pictures when the wedding takes place!
Draculaura

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yusssssss!!!!!!!!!

mouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogy wrote:
Personally, I, along with many pastors, wish we in the U.S. would be like much of the rest of the world, and separate the state requirement of the marriage license from what we do as clergy.

i'm glad to hear that's a thing many pastors want, because it seems to me it would just make life so much easier if we could separate the two - the legal obligations are the same no matter what religion you are, and there is just so much diversity in people's religious beliefs (including all lack thereof) - it just makes sense, to me, at least. and most religious ceremonies have no legal standing: a bar mitzvah may make you a man in the eyes of the jewish religion, but just try buying beer afterwards. no reason marriage should be different.

and on that note, there is absolutely no reason why the two events shouldn't be separate. i really hope it won't turn out to have been necessary to do things that way - but this way you get two celebrations!
Taemon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, surely the clergy doesn't have an official role in a wedding in the USA?
Bogy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:

Yes, at least they can. Requirements vary by state as to who can officiate a marriage, and sign the document. It can be a judge, other stated official, or clergy person. My father and I officiated at my sister's wedding in Massachusetts, and we had to provide documentation to the state (or whoever was issuing the license, it was close to 25 years ago) as to our standing as ordained clergy, and specify exactly when and where the wedding was to take place. I'm currently in Iowa, and while we like to pretend otherwise, the reality is, your dog could marry you in Iowa. Well, the dog could perform the service, you just couldn't actually marry the dog. We've had these stupid "Religious Freedom" bills presented, to "protect clergy from being forced to marry the gays", but no one can force a member of the clergy to officiate at a wedding, if they don't want to do it. (Baking a cake is different, you have to do that. Apples and oranges.) Personally, while I have never turned anyone away, there have been some heterosexual marriages I thought were big mistakes, and I probably should have said no, but they were going to get married anyway so I did it. And I was always right. None of those marriages made it past a year. (Gotta take that back, one lasted until the wife could get the guy's 25 grand past due tax bill paid off so it didn't go on her record.) Not that they would have believed me.
Taemon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogy wrote:
Taemon wrote:

Yes, at least they can. Requirements vary by state as to who can officiate a marriage, and sign the document. It can be a judge, other stated official, or clergy person.

That's... stupid. No offence. But that's really stupid. Only Christian clergy, I take it? (I think "clergy" is Christian by definition? Not exactly my home turf.)
Bogy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:
Bogy wrote:
Taemon wrote:

Yes, at least they can. Requirements vary by state as to who can officiate a marriage, and sign the document. It can be a judge, other stated official, or clergy person.

That's... stupid. No offence. But that's really stupid. Only Christian clergy, I take it? (I think "clergy" is Christian by definition? Not exactly my home turf.)

Totally agree with you. Much rather keep it separate. However, at least in the U.S. "clergy" does include leaders from all faiths. who are authorized to officiate at weddings.
GreekPlayer64

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh Im used to being ignored anyways.

I hope it goes splendidly bogy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: