Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August 24, 2017: The Ball 11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngelLilly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: August 24, 2017: The Ball 11 Reply with quote

Argus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and Vainglorious. Probably.
IndigoRoboticist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let seymour see that or he'll get plauged by more dreams like this http://www.sinfest.net/view.php?date=2015-11-10
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does Tange know this stuff? I'm now convinced that she must spend all of her time off-panel on the internet.
Chronometry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enchantedsleeper wrote:
How does Tange know this stuff? I'm now convinced that she must spend all of her time off-panel on the internet.

Don't we all?

This poster is a white cismale heterosexual. Feel free to ignore him if he starts speaking nonsense.
GreekPlayer64

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think lil e has had the most character development out of everyone at this point.
It needed a memory wipe to do that so its debatable if its genuine.
Pedro_Martini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreekPlayer64 wrote:
i think lil e has had the most character development out of everyone at this point.
It needed a memory wipe to do that so its debatable if its genuine.

I think Lil' E runs a close second to Fuchsia, or maybe third to Tat himself (though I'd argue whether you could call what he did development)
Taemon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro_Martini wrote:
I think Lil' E runs a close second to Fuchsia, or maybe third to Tat himself (though I'd argue whether you could call what he did development)

Okay, argue away. Why not?
Argus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it's not really character development for Lil'E. The reason - his memories have been basically wiped to a clean sLethe, and since then he's been building a new personality, while trying to piece together the puzzle of his previous life.

I like this part of the comic's story, though. Lil'E having a fresh start was one of the things I think happened right on time, as by then his "evil wannabe" personality has already been used up for all the jokes it can. And him needing to rediscover his life has been quite a... heartwarming yet sad storyline so far. It's good.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish this entire subplot was handled differently, because the idea of li'l e growing and changing and trying to rediscover a part of his life he can't remember is cool. i just wish it didn't come at the expense of his actual character. because he doesn't actually have a character anymore, he's a passive cardboard cutout. when he really doesn't have to be.

if you have to press a reset button for a character to change - and then the character rarely actually speaks or rarely actually conveys any kind of character outside of being the sane man to their companions antics ... its not development, its a deus ex machina
Pedro_Martini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:
Pedro_Martini wrote:

Well, to begin with, since Tat is an in-universe character who is practically omnipotent within said universe, it's possible to argue the entire comic's development as his own.

A lot of the criticism's of the post-sisterhood comic stem from the rapid character deconstructions/re-imaginations with very little time or motivation. Things like Lil' E's mind wipe, Slick devolution to secondary character and the emergence of the Sisterhood happened without warning, at the expense of characterisation for some and dues ex machina for others. Some story arcs were even just left unexplained and forgotten. Now back to Tat as a character (if we can treat him as one). There are a lot of rumours circulating the web about why he did what he did, whilst I won't assume any particular one to be true, it's clear that something must have motivated him to completely re-invent his last decade's work within a month or so. As Tat is an in-universe character, he can't excuse himself from the same laws that govern all of fiction: consequences require action, action requires motivation.

Had Tat wanted to, he could have more than easily inputted the arc with caused him to rethink the kind of message he wanted to send with his work. But we don't see any kind of motivation or action, only the consequences that followed. This would be fine if Tat had merely resigned himself to being the author of the comic, but by creating an avatar of himself within the universe that avatar should rightly follow the same rules that all the other characters follow. It's clear Tat wants to consider himself a character, yet he offer no plausible meaning behind his avatars actions. Therefore, despite the abundance of change, I don't think it can really be considered development.

What I'm basically saying is no matter how much Tat the person has developed in the last six years, if we consider Tat the Sinfest-character to be his literal emulation, said character has no explanation behind his actions, which I believe is grounds to discount what he did as development. Said Sinfest-character could of course just be another character, not tied to Tat's authorship and independent of the comic's directional changes, but then that character of Tat hasn't changed much, and is therefore also void of development.
Taemon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro_Martini wrote:
Taemon wrote:
Pedro_Martini wrote:

What I'm basically saying is no matter how much Tat the person has developed in the last six years, if we consider Tat the Sinfest-character to be his literal emulation, said character has no explanation behind his actions, which I believe is grounds to discount what he did as development.

Okay, so we dismiss Tat-the-character. Not sure why you'd bring him up anyway. How did Tat-actual-Tat not develop strongly these last years?
Pedro_Martini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:
Okay, so we dismiss Tat-the-character. Not sure why you'd bring him up anyway. How did Tat-actual-Tat not develop strongly these last years?

He absolutely may have. But I was restricting my enumeration to characters only.
Taemon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's boring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: