Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your Favorite Television
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 67, 68, 69  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ookamo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:
Honestly, I'm sick and tired of that joke.

Considering I've never made it before, you have an amazing low tolerance.

That is, unless you misinterpreted my friendly aside as something more, which is something you would be bringing to the table.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called "le deuxieme sexe", the woman as the derivate of the standard maleness. Society is full of it.
Ookamo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taemon wrote:
It's called "le deuxieme sexe", the woman as the derivate of the standard maleness. Society is full of it.

Thanks for clarifying your interpretation. It's not the Terminator/Terminatrix wordplay I was referencing, but I can understand your overall point of view.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/thumbs-up emoji
Taemon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the fuck does the same voice actor do Rick and Morty? That's, that's... absurd, I guess. Hah.
Ookamo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery is coming rather close to The Orville in the number of "homages". The problem being it's not a parody, and the elements are central to the plot now. If we had spoiler tags, I'd use them, but if you like contemporary sci-fi films and TV, you'll see what I mean.

Overall, this aside, it just isn't Star Trek. It might work as a standalone series, but we'll never know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ookamo wrote:
Discovery is coming rather close to The Orville in the number of "homages". The problem being it's not a parody, and the elements are central to the plot now. If we had spoiler tags, I'd use them, but if you like contemporary sci-fi films and TV, you'll see what I mean.

Overall, this aside, it just isn't Star Trek. It might work as a standalone series, but we'll never know.

If memory serves, you can always use "quotes" and write in white within to make do. As for homages, I'm just enjoying the show as it is, without all the baggage and various criticisms Same way I enjoy Discovery or Lucifer, each for different reasons.

If I want heavy I go for the wire or Spiral or Call my Agent or back to the man in the high castle (got to watch season 2 someday)
Nobody Important

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the new episode of RWBY. Is anyone else hyped to see the team get back together. Also Qrow is best drunkle.
Taemon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they tell me that Rick and Morty is partly improvised. How does one improvise a cartoon?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same way Robin Williams improvised a lot as The Genie in Aladdin?
Taemon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is how?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit-tons of ad-libbing in the recording sessions, which is then passed along to the animators and incorporated into the final product under the director's guidance.

There are a few ways to create a cartoon, but one popular order of events is this: script, voice work, storyboarding, animation.
During the voice recording session the director not only guides the actors but also decides what material from the sessions can get incorporated into the process. Usually a storyboarder or two is present to jot down ideas while listening to the material, and if something ad-libbed gets a big reaction from them there's usually an attempt to work it into the final product. There's usually a lot of extra material that doesn't wind up being used (often cut for time reasons), but sometimes the ad-libs manage to survive and get into the finished product.

Normally, the amount of ad-libbed material in the final animation is minuscule.

Williams' work on Aladdin is nearly legendary for the sheer amount of ad-libbing and improv he did in the studio that managed to make it into the final version of the movie. Just to give an example, virtually all of his celebrity impersonations and a good bit of the opening sequence were all him, unscripted.

It sounds like the crew on Rick and Morty is following a similar process with Roiland. It can work if you have a suitable chemistry between director, performer, and the producers whose job is to keep things on track and get approval from the higher-ups. But it's very rare, for understandable reasons.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and there were a few naysayers in here about the casting for the new DuckTales.

Well, it turns out the show is pretty damn great so far.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Oh, and there were a few naysayers in here about the casting for the new DuckTales.

Well, it turns out the show is pretty damn great so far.

Oh heck yeah!! I honestly think it's an improvement from the original, and I never would've thought I would say that. Especially Webby's role being expanded and hints to future characters being added like Gizmo Duck. I also Love the over arching back story they've added -- it really feels like they're filling in the gaps left by the original canon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Taemon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Shit-tons of ad-libbing in the recording sessions, which is then passed along to the animators and incorporated into the final product under the director's guidance.

<snip>
Thanks! I had no idea how that worked. I thought scripting -> animation -> voice acting. That's cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 68 of 69

Jump to: